Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Inside the O'Briens
This topic is about Inside the O'Briens
Inside the O'Briens > JOE - the tough Boston cop

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
The first chapter in the book is only 4 pages long but it packs a punch. We get an immediate impression of Joe as a hard nose cop with a big mouth and a short fuse.

Then the book skips ahead seven whole years, and in the next few chapters we get to meet the rest of the family and see how Joe interacts with them. We get a glimpse at his inner thoughts and how he feels about his family, friends and community. We start to see a different guy than the one we met in Chapter 1.

Were you able to warm up quickly to Joe at this point or were you still put off by the tough cop exterior?

As you head deeper into the book, what impression of Joe are you taking with you?

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Joe did make a bad first impression but I didn't carry that with me at all as I read further. Actually I thought the author did a good job with his character because he wasn't all good or all bad. She portrayed him as hard working, no nonsense guy who is proud of his job and loves his family, but also is capable of losing it from time to time the way we all do. He seemed pretty realistic to me.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments The first sentence grabbed me and then the first chapter gets quite tense. Knowing the medical condition Joe has, you realize why he can't find the gun. But, men tend to blame someone else for misplaced items and you give him the benefit of the doubt being tired and angry because of his job.
Despite the bad start with Joe, I liked him. He loves his family and still adores his wife after so many years AND he has the same feelings for his job after all the grief and years on the force. Pretty admirable.