Books for Life discussion

For Writers > Tips for Writing Novels

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
Writers, share something you wished someone had told you early on about writing novels.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Dee (goodreadscomdeborahdeeharper) | 9 comments I wished I'd been told there was absolutely NO shortcut to being published (at least traditionally). I struggled for a while hoping there was someone I knew who knew someone whose paperboy knew the secretary to a great author who could help me get my foot in the door. Maybe that person exists, but they certainly don't go around opening doors for struggling writers. The secret to getting published is paying your dues, and dues come in the form of writing, writing, writing, followed by editing, rewriting, submitting, accepting rejection, and starting all over again. Perseverance above all.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Arduini (juliearduini) | 56 comments That's good, Deb. I wish I'd heard that the chances of people stealing your work is small, especially in Christian circles. I am part of two critique groups and they have added so much to my work. I am grateful for them.

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
Everything both Deborah and Julie said! Plus, the quantity of published novels out there can be intimidating. I had no idea the competition would be so great.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
On the other hand, there are terrific, helpful books about the craft that I didn't know existed when I first started writing. Someone recommended The First Five Pages and another title I can't remember right now, and that got me looking.