Books for Life discussion

YA Novels > What themes do you appreciate in YA novels? What issues would you like to see addressed?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
What themes or issues do you like to read about in YA novels?

message 2: by Carol Childers (new)

Carol Childers | 5 comments I like to see some of the difficult issues that don't always get discussed by teens and adults. Things that make life stressful for them. I like to see them addressed so that they are realistic. Things such as cyber bullying, anorexia, cutting, gossip, abuse, etc. I like to see heroes in books that are able to rise above these situations. I also would like to see more characters that are ethnic. Too many of the characters are all Caucasian. In reality the teens now have friends of different backgrounds unless they live in a very small town that all Caucasian.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
Carol Childers wrote: "I like to see some of the difficult issues that don't always get discussed by teens and adults. Things that make life stressful for them. I like to see them addressed so that they are realistic. Th..."

Hi, Carol, and welcome! You like to read the type of book I like to write. Teens today have many issues to deal with that touched only the fringes of my life growing up. They are stressed! The cast of characters in my Bird Face series (first two books release in September) include teens and adults of a variety of ethnic backgrounds. That's how it is in real life for me. Thanks for joining this conversation. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts.