Books for Life discussion

Contemporary Fiction > What do you think of when you hear the words 'contemporary fiction'?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
What's contemporary fiction to you?

message 2: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 13 comments Modern day, not too focused on romance, suspense, etc. - More slice-of-life, I guess?

message 3: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Darlington (cjdarlington) | 7 comments Yeah, definitely modern-day and not suspense necessarily.

message 4: by Cynthia (last edited Aug 05, 2015 06:25PM) (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
Interesting! I'd placed all books that couldn't be classified as historical under the big contemporary umbrella, thinking contemporary romance vs. historical romance, contemporary mystery vs. historical mystery, and so on. ( Jane Austen's books were contemporary for her time, so that's confusing. And for today's young adults, the 1970s are hardly contemporary to them, although they are to me.) Another group I visited really batted around that contemporary-definition ball, finally deciding that contemporary and realism overlap but are not necessarily the same.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Steury | 1 comments That's interesting you note that contemporary and realism are not in fact the same and I would agree. My email signature line says this: "Realistic Contemporary YA Fiction -- The Unflinching Realities".

I write about what some consider to be edgy topics--premarital sex, teen pregnancy, renewed abstinence, the whole "how far is too far?" issue. To me that's what makes the story "realistic". Good discussion. :)

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "That's interesting you note that contemporary and realism are not in fact the same and I would agree. My email signature line says this: "Realistic Contemporary YA Fiction -- The Unflinching Realit..."

Thanks for adding to the discussion, Beth.