Books for Life discussion

Romance Novels > Can romance novels be good AND clean?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
Does sweet romance still exist in book world? Is it possible to have a 'clean' romance?

message 2: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 13 comments Of course they can. But everyone seems to have a different definition of clean. Some people think clean means nonrealistic and utterly chaste while others like realistic but not too detailed.

message 3: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Darlington (cjdarlington) | 7 comments Just look at the popularity (still!) of Grace Livingston Hill. It can totally be done. And I think it can also be realistic AND clean!

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
I agree. If the situation is believable, especially in a time or place where emotional love was or is more important than the physical act, clean romance works and makes a good read. Amish romance was so popular, I decided to give it a read but wondered how exciting it could be. It was realistically clean and appropriate for the setting, yet held a degree of swooniness. On the other hand, if I read a story about drug runners, I might not be able to accept that they live a chaste lifestyle!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Arduini (juliearduini) | 56 comments Absolutely. Look at Jeanette Oke. Not only have her romances kept readers engaged for years, now there is a healthy movement of "Hearties" enjoying the show on Hallmark, When Calls the Heart.