Books for Life discussion

General > Have you ever wanted to travel to a book's setting because you enjoyed reading about it?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
Books can transport us in time and place. Have you ever wanted to travel somewhere you've read about in a book?

message 2: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 13 comments Narnia! ;) Plus Prince Edward Island and Hawaii, for sure. Short answer - it depends on the book but sometimes yes. But if the book reads like a tour guide, I'll just get frustrated with too much description. lol

message 3: by Tracy (new)

I still remember wanting to go to NYC when Trixie Belden went there. I don't remember much of the descriptions, but it was enough to make me think I had to eat at an "Automat." :-)

message 4: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 13 comments Lol - I remember that one. Loved Trixie Belden - they should make a tv series about her so kids would want to read the books!

message 5: by Marji (new)

Marji Laine (marjilaine) Tracy wrote: "I still remember wanting to go to NYC when Trixie Belden went there. I don't remember much of the descriptions, but it was enough to make me think I had to eat at an "Automat." :-)"

Oh my gosh! I was SUCH a Trixie Belden fan! LOL!

message 6: by Marji (new)

Marji Laine (marjilaine) SparksofEmber wrote: "Lol - I remember that one. Loved Trixie Belden - they should make a tv series about her so kids would want to read the books!"

I SO agree! I'm a Bobwhites of the Glen fan!

message 7: by Marji (new)

Marji Laine (marjilaine) I've always wanted to visit Maui because of a Phyllis A. Whitney book I read in high school. Silver Sword. A few years ago, one of my closest friends went and sent me back a post card of the Silver Sword plant. I keep thinking I'll get there one day!

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Marji wrote: "SparksofEmber wrote: "Lol - I remember that one. Loved Trixie Belden - they should make a tv series about her so kids would want to read the books!"

I SO agree! I'm a Bobwhites of the Glen fan!"

I made myself an honorary Bobwhite! LOL!

message 9: by Carol Childers (new)

Carol Childers | 5 comments I always wanted to go to Alaska because of the books and magazine articles I read about people traveling there. My husband and I were finally able to go for our 20th anniversary and it was even better than I had imagined.

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
Carol Childers wrote: "I always wanted to go to Alaska because of the books and magazine articles I read about people traveling there. My husband and I were finally able to go for our 20th anniversary and it was even bet..."

I also loved Alaska! I was able to go when my husband's daughter attended the U of A at Anchorage. I've incorporated Alaska into my YA series.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

When I read novels set in the British Isles, I want to visit those countries. Same with Italy.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Carol Childers wrote: "I always wanted to go to Alaska because of the books and magazine articles I read about people traveling there. My husband and I were finally able to go for our 20th anniversary and it was even bet..."

That's so awesome! There's so much of the world to discover.

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Cynthia wrote: "When I read novels set in the British Isles, I want to visit those countries. Same with Italy."

Italy is my "heart-home." I spent 10 days there and have longed to return ever since.

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Ooooh, I'm envious!

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela Breidenbach (angelabreidenbach) | 1 comments Yes! That's why I write real settings. I want the reader to travel there in both their mind and in real life. But I intentionally read books set in places I want to visit too :)

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Angela wrote: "Yes! That's why I write real settings. I want the reader to travel there in both their mind and in real life. But I intentionally read books set in places I want to visit too :)"

Me too, Angela. That's why I prefer to write and read realism, whether contemporary or historical. I get into the setting a lot more than in any other fiction.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Dee (goodreadscomdeborahdeeharper) | 9 comments I can't what particular book prompted this desire, but I remember yearning to visit Scotland, Ireland, and Italy as a result of books I've read.

message 18: by Kandie (new)

Kandie | 2 comments I'm on the 14th book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series written by Alexander McCall Smith and the stories are all based in Botswana, Africa. The way the author weaves in the descriptions of Botswana (it's people, the land, the culture, food, music, etc.) through the eyes of the protagonist makes me long to take a visit myself.
The author himself was born in Zimbabwe and taught law in Botswana and the way he writes about Africa is like poetry. His style of words transports you to a land of unwavering beauty.
In all of the books in this series so far, many of the characters love to drink bush tea. Well, I've become so enraptured in these books that I became curious about bush tea and decided to try it myself. I think its delicious! I guess I'm still quite impressionable lol

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Kandie wrote: "I'm on the 14th book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series written by Alexander McCall Smith and the stories are all based in Botswana, Africa. The way the author weaves in the descriptions o..."

That's one of my favorite series of all time, primarily for the same reason you mention - the story transports me there.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Dee (goodreadscomdeborahdeeharper) | 9 comments Carol Childers wrote: "I always wanted to go to Alaska because of the books and magazine articles I read about people traveling there. My husband and I were finally able to go for our 20th anniversary and it was even bet..."

I lived in Alaska near Fairbanks on an Air Force base for one year, then returned to Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage for four years. Alaska is unbelievable and difficult to put into words unless I'm very focused about it! There are so many things to see and do that I'm glad I had four years in which to do them. We had several earthquakes, an erupting volcano, climbed trails to glaciers, waded through glacial water, watched the tide come and go along Cook Inlet, and of course there were bears and moose, fox, otters, sea lions, whales, Dall sheep, wolves, ptmarigans, and every other kind of northern animal you can think practically in our back yard. (The moose and bears WERE literally in our yards!)I've written about Alaska in my children's adventure series, and I'm thinking of writing a series for adults set in Alaska.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Sara wrote: "It isn't a fancy or exotic location, but after reading the Prescott Pioneer series, by Karen Baney, which is set in Prescott, Arizona, I talked my husband into a trip to Prescott. Since we live in..."

That's so awesome!! If you go visit the Adirondacks, be sure to share some photos with us!

message 22: by Pat (new)

Pat Dyer (goodreadscompat_dyer) | 9 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "It isn't a fancy or exotic location, but after reading the Prescott Pioneer series, by Karen Baney, which is set in Prescott, Arizona, I talked my husband into a trip to Prescott. Since we live in..."

Would so love to visit Arizona some day!