Books for Life discussion

General > What's your favorite book ever?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
Share your favorite books with us - fiction or nonfiction.

message 2: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Darlington (cjdarlington) | 7 comments Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti! Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2) by Frank E. Peretti It was the first adult CF book I ever read (besides Christy by Catherine Marshall) and it blew me away!

message 3: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Michael | 3 comments "Lorna Doone" Its an oldie but a goodie. Written by R.D.Blackmore, and published in 1869, it takes some getting used to because it is written in old English. But it is a great story. Talk about a plot line!

message 4: by Betty (new)

Betty | 3 comments Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
My all-time favorite is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noyes | 2 comments Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I love epics.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Arduini (juliearduini) | 56 comments Secrets of the Secret Place by Bob Sorge. Fiction? There are so many!

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat Dyer (goodreadscompat_dyer) | 9 comments Mod
To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Dyer (goodreadscompat_dyer) | 9 comments Mod
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Loved the movie, too.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Dee (goodreadscomdeborahdeeharper) | 9 comments I think I'd have to say Pride and Prejudice. I LOVED the movie with Colin Firth too.

message 10: by Betty (new)

Betty | 3 comments Deborah wrote: "I think I'd have to say Pride and Prejudice. I LOVED the movie with Colin Firth too."

Yes! Love that version of Pride & Prejudice. I've read the book so many times, I've lost count.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) | 29 comments Mod
Pat wrote: "To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Loved the movie, too."

Mine too, on both.

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Sara wrote: "I am never able to choose a favorite! My favorite is often whatever book I'm currently reading or just finished, and I'm still partially stuck in that world. But seriously, my book club is about to..."

Sara, I agree! I finish a good book and think "I'm going to remember this one" so I can later recommend the title to someone who might enjoy it. Then I forget all about it when I'm into the next good book. I like that on Goodreads I can keep a list.

message 13: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Franklin | 5 comments I agree, it's hard to choose my most favorite ever. But I can tell you books I have read repeatedly and would gladly do so again: Whip Hand, by Dick Francis; The Tightrope Walker by Dorothy Gillman (the author of the Mrs. Pollifax series); Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien; The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger; and almost anything by C.S. Lewis.

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Darlene wrote: "I agree, it's hard to choose my most favorite ever. But I can tell you books I have read repeatedly and would gladly do so again: Whip Hand, by Dick Francis; The Tightrope Walker by Dorothy Gillman..."

Darlene, I've thought about reading The Time Traveler's Wife because I enjoyed the movie. A number of my friends have read and loved it. I guess it's time I did.

message 15: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Franklin | 5 comments Oh, as usual, the book is far superior to the movie (be prepared for a heavy sensual element)

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 49 comments Mod
Darlene wrote: "I agree, it's hard to choose my most favorite ever. But I can tell you books I have read repeatedly and would gladly do so again: Whip Hand, by Dick Francis; The Tightrope Walker by Dorothy Gillman..."

I love Dick Francis and Dorothy Gillman. Whenever I pick up their books, I know to settle in for awhile because I won't want to stop reading! :-)

message 17: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Franklin | 5 comments Unfortunately there will not be any more new books from either writer.
Of course Dick Francis and I share the same initials. :)