The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Nominations now open for the August/September Group Read

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8713 comments Mod
It's that time again, my friends. Nominations are now open for the August/September Group Read. You may nominate a book between now and August 10th. Voting will start the 11th and will run through the 13th. Once a winner is decided, threads for the group reads will be posted.

-- the fine print:

Once again we need to post the general rules for Group Reads nominations:

1) Important: If your nomination wins, you will be the discussion moderator. Please do not nominate a book unless you're willing to do this. NOTE: If a book you've nominated in the past won and you did not participate in the discussion, we will NOT consider your nominations in the future. Sorry to be hardcore on this, but it's happened a few times now within the last year.

2) One (1) nomination only per person. Please read this next sentence carefully: Neither self-nominations by authors nor nominations by their respective publishers or publicist will be accepted.

3) Do not cheat or manipulate results. It is not acceptable to create fake accounts to nominate books or vote in polls and it is not acceptable to invite people to the site for the sole purpose of nominating a book or voting for a book in a poll. It is not acceptable to ask for votes or influence the poll in any way. If the moderators feel that a group read poll has been manipulated, the book in question will be disqualified. If the moderators feel that the user(s) are fake accounts, these will be reported to Goodreads for further review.

4) Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check out the group bookshelf here if you're not sure.

5) For your nomination please include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

6) Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available in more than one format. The last thing we want is to nominate a book that no one can get.

7) Finally, a word about series - Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series, or if it can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

Have fun!

message 2: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments I'm new here, but I'll make a suggestion, You by Caroline Kepnes

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Melli wrote: "I'm new here, but I'll make a suggestion, You by Caroline Kepnes"

Welcome, Melli!

You, by Caroline Kepnes.

message 4: by James (new)

James Osborne (jamesosborne) | 2 comments How does an author make their book available (known) to be nominated?

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

James wrote: "How does an author make their book available (known) to be nominated?"

James, that is a very good question!

My usual suggestion for getting your work known to the members of this group is to perhaps offer a giveaway (in the authors' section of this group -- there's a thread dedicated to giveaways), or offer a copy in exchange for a review. I know that a LOT of members check giveaways and check for books needing reviews, so it's at least a start.

message 6: by James (new)

James Osborne (jamesosborne) | 2 comments Hey, thanks Nancy. I'm new to this and a debut author. Thank you for sharing your advice. Much appreciated.

message 7: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited Aug 05, 2015 07:36AM) (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 310 comments I nominate Bull Mountain Bull Mountain by Brian Panowich , by Brian Panowich.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

James wrote: "Hey, thanks Nancy. I'm new to this and a debut author. Thank you for sharing your advice. Much appreciated."

You are very welcome! And welcome to the group.

message 9: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "I nominate Bull Mountain Bull Mountain by Brian Panowich"

(adding author name):

Bull Mountain, by Brian Panowich.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I nominate The Mercedes Coffin by Faye Kellerman.

message 11: by Darren (new)

Darren | 2 comments I would like to nominate the book, "In the Blood" by Lisa Unger.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

In the Blood, by Lisa Unger.

message 13: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments I couldn't put its book down! Alan called it the best spy thriller since Day of the Jackle, and zi countered Follett's Eye of the Needle (but the leads are mainly male but with strong and diverse female characters.)

message 14: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments and finger goof... it's Terry Hayes "I Am Pilgim"

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

M. wrote: "and finger goof... it's Terry Hayes "I Am Pilgim""

Thanks! The title is helpful. LOL

I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes.

message 16: by Garry (last edited Aug 05, 2015 10:46AM) (new)

Garry | 17 comments Nine Man's Murder

Genuine whodunnit. Modern take on Christie's 'And Then There Were None'.

message 17: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) Nancy wrote: "❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "I nominate Bull Mountain Bull Mountain by Brian Panowich"

(adding author name):

Bull Mountain, by Brian Panowich."

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel!
Very fast paced with a number of nice twists.

message 18: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 310 comments Great to hear Still! I can't wait to read it.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments The Hanged Man's Noose: A Glass Dolphin Mystery
I nominate The Hanged Man's Noose. The first in a series.

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy Nancy wrote: "M. wrote: "and finger goof... it's Terry Hayes "I Am Pilgim""

Thanks! The title is helpful. LOL

I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes."

I second I Am Pilgrim

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 233 comments I'll nominate The Raphael Affair by Iain Pears

message 22: by Ron (last edited Aug 05, 2015 03:27PM) (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 2969 comments The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) by Robert B. Parker The Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker, the 1st Spenser novel.

message 23: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments Ron wrote: "The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) by Robert B. ParkerThe Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker, the 1st
Spenser
novel."

ohh Iwould love to revisit SPencer

message 25: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 2969 comments Renee wrote: "ohh Iwould love to revisit SPencer"

Probably you'd better, Renee. It's Spenser, with an s... But, then, as a Spenser fan, you probably did know that...

message 26: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "In the Blood, by Lisa Unger."

I'll second this one. Has been on my to-read list since it came out.

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments Ron wrote: "Renee wrote: "ohh Iwould love to revisit SPencer"

Probably you'd better, Renee. It's Spenser, with an s... But, then, as a Spenser fan, you probably did know that..."

Wow that was a lot of typos for one post. Sorry folks. I just got excited.

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5461 comments I'll throw a nomination into the mix, the first Kathryn Dance mystery, The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver. I've enjoyed the Lincoln Rhymes series very much, hope this is as interesting.

message 30: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 659 comments Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton Little Black Lies Sharon Bolton"

I second Little Black Lies. Looks good . . . one 5-star review after another.

message 31: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1500 comments I am nominating The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson
I searched previous group reads and did not find it. It is book 1 in the Longmire series, previously mentioned in a thread about mysteries in cold climates.

message 32: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Sorry that I can't link image on my smartphone... Couldn't put this down. Alan called it the best spy thriller since Day of the Jackal, but for me, since Follett's Eye of the Needle.

message 33: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments The group read In the Blood by Lisa Unger. It's a page turner.

message 34: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 08, 2015 11:22AM) (new)

Flash Beagle wrote: "The group read In the Blood by Lisa Unger. It's a page turner."

It was definitely already a group read. Apologies to Darren -- you may want to pick another.

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 92 comments I nominate Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay by Linwood Barclay.

message 36: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 59 comments I nominate Paul Cleave's new thriller Trust No One for the Group Read.

It was just released in hardcover this past week.

Cleave is a past Edgar shortlistee, who has won awards in Europe (where he's a big bestseller) and Australasia. He's a little below the radar in the US/UK though, despite the acclaim from critics and award judges. His new book is a very unique tale.

I've just finished this today, and it's a remarkable book. Memento/Before I Go To Sleep-esque in its swirling perspectives, character confusion, and the way the reader/viewer experiences that confusion and frustration through the style and structure of the story. Just top drawer stuff. And lots to discuss.

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 208 comments I nominate Night Life again by David C. Taylor

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 3991 comments Craig wrote: "I nominate Paul Cleave's new thriller Trust No One for the Group Read.

Cleave is a past Edgar shortlistee, who ..."

I will second your nomination - I have been wanting to read this. Requested it for review on NetGalley and got declined 8:(

message 39: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 59 comments Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Craig wrote: "I nominate Paul Cleave's new thriller Trust No One for the Group Read.

Cleave is a past Edgar sho..."

Yeah, I got declined too (my NetGalley shows me as a NZer in the UK, which is true - but I actually review for US-based publications). Just got myself a copy. It's really, really good, and it's definitely a book that could kickstart A LOT of interesting discussions.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 3991 comments Craig wrote: "Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Craig wrote: "I nominate Paul Cleave's new thriller Trust No One for the Group Read...."

Looking forward to reading it 8:D

message 41: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I'm sorry about the poll being late, everyone. All of yesterday was a bad day at my house so I didn't have time to do much of anything. It's going up now.

message 42: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 49 comments M. wrote: "I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Sorry that I can't link image on my smartphone... Couldn't put this down. Alan called it the best spy thriller since Day of the Jackal, but for me, since Follett's Eye ..."

Literary Review (UK) said: "The narrative is thrilling: the tension tightens with action....it's a murder mystery, an illuminating account of contemporary international politics, and a study of an unusual man."
I borrowed this book from my library then I bought a copy for my own. It was THAT good. I passed along the hint to my dentist and he loved it and thanked me. Pilgrim narrates the story, for the most part. It was amazing the way the author fused history and setting into the story yet kept up a thrilling narrative pace. Excellent story and writing. What more can I say.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.