Laura | 599 comments Mod
The results are in!

The topics to be included in the 2016 RC are:
1. A book with a type of food/drink in the title
2. A book by an author who writes under more than one name
3. The next book in a series you are reading
4. A book from your "to read" list
5. A book you're embarrassed to read in public

There are now two extra topics in the preliminary list that will need to be voted on in November.

The next round of suggestions will be opened on Sunday, August 9

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) WOO!! these were my top 5 lol. and mine was #1, the joy I feel over this makes me feel like a little kid that just got picked first in gym class lol

message 3: by Keri (new)

Keri  | 92 comments I think this is the best list so far!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 186 comments Ya! 4 out of the 5 are ones that I picked as my top 4!! I think this is the first time that has happened so far. :)

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (lewisia) | 28 comments I must be out of synch with everyone else! Only one of my picks made the top 5 and even then it wasn't my first choice.

Hoping for more success in the next batch.

message 6: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I'll have to find something I'm embarrassed to read in public,no idea what to choose...
I'm happy the drink/food finally did it, because I want to read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and it will be perfect for this topic :D

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly I really like #1 and #2. Wondering how I will find a book I'm embarrassed to read in public. . .I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for bodice ripper book covers. :-/

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Great! Numbers 3, 4 and 5 were in my 4 tops :)

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments Yay! My suggestion was picked. I'm 2 for 2! 4 of the 5 were my picks as well.

message 10: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments This batch is great! I'm really looking forward to the topics for next years challenge. There are a few topic suggestions from each batch that I'm kind of hoping will be suggested again though so that they can be put in the challenge. There have been so many good suggestions!

message 11: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) Yay one of my suggestions finally made the cut! I'm excited about the challenge so far. There are a few topics I'm not sure about but for the most part I'm loving the topics. I'm also hoping some people will suggest things again as there were about 10 out of this batch I was really interested in.

message 12: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
If there are suggestions that people like from previous batches, I don't see anything wrong with "stealing" them and suggesting them yourselves :)

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Harris (nicoleintrovert) Awww... I am sort of disappointed that "a book you are embarrassed to read in public" made it. I don't like when people feel shame for what they read. :(

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Nicole wrote: "Awww... I am sort of disappointed that "a book you are embarrassed to read in public" made it. I don't like when people feel shame for what they read. :("

Nicole, I think that is more for people that are embarrassed to read stuff like Fifty Shades of Grey in public. although I'm excited for that topic because it will make me really have to look for a book, nothing really embarrasses me in public at all!

message 15: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I would be too embarrassed to read any erotica while in public so if there are any erotica books that I want to read then I put those on my kindle so no one can see them. Lol! I just think those books are kind of awkward to read in public.

message 16: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I'm interested to see what people will choose for that topic. I think the books I'd be embarrassed to read in public will be different from what most people choose. I'm not embarrassed by books like Fifty Shades of Grey because they are no mainstream that almost every has read them.

message 17: by Danaë (new)

Danaë | 30 comments My first thought for the embarrassed topic was romance or erotica, too, but I realized I'm embarrassed to read a lot of health and self-help books in public also. I picture someone on the bus asking what I'm reading and having to answer something like "Natural Solutions for PMS" or "Dealing with Social Anxiety." It's not that I'm ashamed of the books, it's the overly personal conversations they might start while I'm trapped in a vehicle or a waiting room that I want to avoid, haha.

message 18: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Danaë wrote: "My first thought for the embarrassed topic was romance or erotica, too, but I realized I'm embarrassed to read a lot of health and self-help books in public also. I picture someone on the bus aski..."

I also thought of self-help books! I would be really embarrassed reading those in public. At least romance/erotica books can sometimes have very vague titles and covers that don't make it obvious what the book is about whereas self-help books are generally really obvious. Like you said, it's not about being ashamed of reading them it's just those books are extra personal and you don't really want to share that with random strangers. There's a self-help book that I've wanted to read for a while so that may be the book I end up going with for that topic.

message 19: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
For me, young adult novels can sometimes fit into that category also. I'm a grad student and a lot of my fellow students read a ton of non-fiction books. So I'm not sure I would have the guts to sit in the room before class reading The Selection or some other (sort of cheesy) YA book. Haha.

message 20: by Ella (new)

Ella | 234 comments For me, it would be any of those that have risque covers. Thank goodness for Kindle. But even when I read something like that in public on my Kindle, what if someone asks what I'm reading, and since I'm a horrible liar, it would just be awkward either answering the truth, or blubbering through a lie. LOL.

message 21: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I've actually never been asked what I'm reading on the train. But then that's likely because everyone tells me I have "chronic b**** face" :p

I could see that getting awkward though!

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Laura wrote: "I've actually never been asked what I'm reading on the train. But then that's likely because everyone tells me I have "chronic b**** face" :p

I could see that getting awkward though!"

I too suffer from CBF or RBF(resting b**** face)...it's both a blessing and a curse lol. But I definitely think that the self help books would be a bit more embarrassing than erotica for me. I guess i'll have to look really hard for something really good!

message 23: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I suffer from Resting Sad Face so I think most people leave me alone because I probably don't look very happy. I think if I read a self-help book they'd probably be worried about me!

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) lol Francesca maybe that should be a theory you test out, see how many people ask you if you're ok, or make weird faces at you lol

message 25: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments Brittany wrote: "lol Francesca maybe that should be a theory you test out, see how many people ask you if you're ok, or make weird faces at you lol"

Lol! I'd be even more embarrassed by that!

message 26: by Labeba (new)

Labeba Salameh (labebabooks) | 47 comments One of them is my suggestion ♡

message 27: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I am also a RBF sufferer ... also CBF, but in its other meaning. :)

Now, I've just been doing a bit of research for my list for next year, and put together a little list of fairly well known writers who write (or wrote) other names. I thought I'd add it in here in case anyone else needs help. I'll try to remember to copy & paste this into the topic when it opens next year, for those normal people among us who aren't frantically planning for 2016's challenge already.

Kingsley Amis
Isaac Asimov
L. Frank Baum
Ray Bradbury
Anne Brontë
Charlotte Brontë
Emily Brontë
Anton Chekhov
Agatha Christie
Michael Crichton
Charles Dickens
Henrik Ibsen
Washington Irving
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
C.S. Lewis
Vladimir Nabokov
Sylvia Plath
Ruth Rendell
Anne Rice
Nora Roberts
J.K. Rowling
Dr. Seuss
Gore Vidal

message 28: by Marina H (last edited Aug 19, 2015 02:37AM) (new)

Marina H | 272 comments Jody wrote: "Now, I've just been doing a bit of research for my list for next year, and put together a little list of fairly well known write..."

In another challenge I used this list as inspiration:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

There's quite a lot who writes under two names or more.

message 29: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Yeah, that's the list I looked at as well, but I picked out the well-known ones. :)

message 30: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments Jody wrote: "Yeah, that's the list I looked at as well, but I picked out the well-known ones. :)"

Ahh, clever ;-) I wasn't sure if it was just me who didn't know half of the names!

message 31: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Not just you! I drew a complete blank at a lot of them, but maybe I might recognise some of the books they wrote. But I was surprised at just how many well known writers have used pseudonyms - I knew JK Rowling & Stephen King did but that's about it. I was a bit worried my choice would be limited but it's definitely not!