The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Deadpool - Red Band trailer

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Totally safe for work. Let your kids watch it, too!

I hate Deadpool. Always have. Breaking the fourth wall requires finesse, and to my mind no one in the comics has ever successfully pulled it off. He's never been funny once, and some of the best writers working in the past 20 years have taken a stab at him. That's partially because he was born broken as a rip-off character.

All that said, this trailer *almost* works for me, and that's down to Ryan Reynolds. I wonder if this will break his losing streak. My guess is it will not.

That said, if you like Deadpool, you will love this trailer.

The truck sequence is almost exactly like the one Blur Studio did last year. Good idea not to mess with excellence.

https://youtu.be/FyKWUTwSYAs

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments I give the trailer five foul-mouthed-mercenaries out of five.

I have never been a fan of Deadpool, but I like weird and this looks weird.

Can I be honest for a second? I have a secret shame... I love Ryan Reynolds... I bear that burden so that you do not have to!

message 3: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1651 comments "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place" was really good. Not sure what he or the rest of the cast has been up to since then. ;-)

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments The trailer looks great and I actually like Ryan Reynolds, I thought Safe House was a very watchable, if unspectacular, film. But he seems born to play Deadpool. Although I thought the same for Tobey Maguire as Spiderman but look how they keep rebooting it.

message 5: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments How many superheroes/superhero-adjacent roles has Ryan Reynolds played in living memory?

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Michal wrote: "How many superheroes/superhero-adjacent roles has Ryan Reynolds played in living memory?"

Three. Deadpool, Green Lantern and Blade.

He's in the Twofer Club for playing superheroes, along with Chris Evans (Capt. America, Human Torch), Ray Stevens (Punisher, Volstagg), Ben Affleck (Daredevil, Batman), Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kickass, Quicksilver), Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde, Libby), Nathan Fillion (Capt. Hammer, Holy Avenger), Michael Jai White (Spawn, Bronze Tiger), Nic Cage (Ghost Rider, Big Daddy) and Brandon Routh (Superman, The Atom).

Doug Jones has played two superheroes (Abe Sapien, Silver Surfer) and one supervillain (Deathbolt).

Halle Berry has played a superheroine and supervillainess (Storm, Catwoman).

Kelly Hu has played two supervillainesses: Lady Deathstrike and China White.

If you start allowing voice work, it really embiggenizes the group.

message 7: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Aug 10, 2015 09:48PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3677 comments Mod
Samuel L Jackson would have to get a mention with 3 film and at least 1 animated superhero/villain.
Mace Windu & Nick Fury, Octopus (Supervillain in The Spirit), as well as Frozone (The Incredibles)

& Scarlett Johansson for Black Widow & Lucy

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments I forgot about The Spirit. In that case, we also have to give him Mr. Glass from Unbreakable. Frozone, though, opens a whole can of worms. I don't even know if you could cross-reference all the people who do voices in various TV series and animated films.

NPH has done Spidey, Nightwing, Black Manta, Two Face, Dr. Horrible, The Flash, Replay... and his credits are tame compared to some, like Michael Rosenbaum (aka Lex Luthor from Smallville).

message 9: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Chris Evans also did the voice of Casey in a TMNT movie and was basically super powered in Push, depending on how far you want to take it. He was also in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and I don't even have a clue how to categorize that one!