Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Discussion & Recommendation > Wondering...'Black Ships' Anyone?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carl (new)

Carl Sage | 1 comments Greetings all...

Black Ships

After picking this up as part of a mass purchase of various texts dealing with Bronze Age Greece - mostly dramaturgical references for a current project - some while back I had the chance to start in on it yesterday. While I am still only in the first chapter or so, I thought that it might be of interest to folks here. I am curious if it might have already been discussed among the assembled (my Google-Fu shows no sign of such a thread but....shrug).

One of the cover blurbs on the edition I have likens it to 'The Mists of Avalon' in that it draws from a mythic yet historical era for its core. So far, IMNSVHO, the prose has been a good balance between period and crisp narration, though those who are not fans of significant internal monologs might disagree.

So...anyone familiar with it? Thoughts? Opinions?

-Carl-

SheLovesItPaperback | 15 comments I enjoyed it.
It was a random purchase at a closing sale, along with 'Hands Of Isis', and I was unaware they belonged to a series.
Having read Greek and Roman mythology since a child, I prefer 'Black Ships' of the two, because of its reference to 'The Aeneid' - not so much a retelling, as revision.
I concur with the comparison to 'Mists Of Avalon'. Although, I found these much easier to digest.
However, I regard neither as keepers and shared them on to friends.
I hope you are enjoying it. :)