Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

SPOILER: Should Katniss have...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea Killed the innocent Capitol woman?
Discuss.

message 2: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life Would have been interesting if she did. But in such a situation, doing anything of that caliber would have fed into a back and forth, history repeating itself sort of thing. Bad move for sure.

Ioanna While I don't disagree with ^^^, it's also debatable whether the Capitol woman can be considered innocent. Even if she did not actively participate in designing the Hunger Games, for example (the Hunger Games being one of the greatest crimes of the Capitol), she certainly profited from a lot of the crimes of the government, and certainly did nothing to stop these crimes. Even considering the fact that growing up in a society where the Hunger Games are pure entertainment could have majorly screwed up her moral compass, a little bit of critical thinking could have told her (and any other Capitol person) that this was wrong; and that she could have tried to do something about it (like Cinna did, for example). On the other hand, if you just consider her a product of her society, then she is innocent, and if the rebels killed her, then they themselves would be beginning to act like the Capitol (e.g. not respecting human lives, not giving people a fair chance) and therefore they would have no longer been fighting for a cause, but only for themselves.

message 4: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life Well said Ioanna. And I will add that the Capitol and their society in general was looney toons, lol.

message 5: by L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

L. Woodswalker Most people who live in an unjust society are too scared and helpless to do much. That would be like the terrorists who blew up 2 towers worth of office workers because of some injustice America supposedly did in the Mideast.

Dramapuppy Ioanna wrote: "While I don't disagree with ^^^, it's also debatable whether the Capitol woman can be considered innocent. Even if she did not actively participate in designing the Hunger Games, for example (the ..."

I disagree here. The leaders of the Capitol did an amazing job of desensitizing citizens. I bet that if you put Capitol citizens in the actual arena and let them watch the Games live, they'd throw up. It doesn't seem real of your parents and your school and your president tell you it's not.

The Games are TV. It's ingrained in every citizen since childhood. I'm pretty sure toddlers and young children are allowed to watch the Games. This makes them look okay. Citizens grow up with this, the same way people in the Districts do.

Why is the Capitol fine with this? The same reason the Districts took so long to revolt: it's just how things are. It's very easy for a society to dehumanize groups of people. If you've taken something as fact for as long as you can remember, it's hard to question it. It's happened in the real world, and it is not the fault of the people who are brainwashed.

message 7: by Juyee (last edited Aug 16, 2015 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Juyee Dramapuppy wrote: "Ioanna wrote: "While I don't disagree with ^^^, it's also debatable whether the Capitol woman can be considered innocent. Even if she did not actively participate in designing the Hunger Games, fo..."
I agree with you on this part.
In the Hunger Games world, it's just the way things worked. And as the Capitol citizens, they really couldn't do much to prevent it, considering the fact that anyone hardly disagreed to it. And even if anyone did object it against the government, it would be like a suicide plan to even take such step.
I even second the fact that they were brainwashed for such a long time than no even cared to question it. It eventually grew out as a reality show entertainment factor for them.
And there is no reason as to why Katniss should have killed these people because they didn't have any direct link to the sufferings of the district people although they did play as merciless spectators for a long time. And there was nothing that they could do about that either.

Lailah I don't know how I feel about this.