Transformational Fiction discussion

The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
This topic is about The Winds of Sonoma
Book Club Reads > Summer Reading Club - August Board

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersti (last edited Aug 01, 2015 09:26PM) (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments Hi everyone! Welcome to our August discussion, on TF founder Nikki Arana's beautiful romance novel, The Winds of Sonoma. Not only is it a powerful love story that faces the tough issue of illegal immigration, it's also based on a true story! I've really enjoyed diving into this book a bit in getting ready for this month's discussion, and I'm excited to start talking about it with you all. Who has their copy yet? :)

message 2: by Kiersti (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments Hello, friends! Have any of you started reading Winds of Sonoma yet? One thing to watch for as we read through is the symbolism of the wind and how Nikki uses it through the story. Have you noticed anything about that yet?

Caryl | 24 comments I've just borrowed the book from the Kindle library! I am looking forward to the discussion. Kiersti, I always seem to connect the wind with the wind of His Spirit. I can't wait to see how Nikki uses it in this book.

message 4: by Kiersti (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments Caryl wrote: "I've just borrowed the book from the Kindle library! I am looking forward to the discussion. Kiersti, I always seem to connect the wind with the wind of His Spirit. I can't wait to see how Nikki..."

I so look forward to hearing your thoughts on Winds of Sonoma, Caryl...I think you are definitely already tracking with how Nikki uses the wind in her book. :) Thanks so much for chiming in and sharing!

message 5: by Kiersti (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments Anyone have a favorite character yet? I'm thinking some of us might love Poppy. He says many wise and wonderful things about the Lord, but I also liked this quote--which, though funny, is still a wise message to our thin-obsessed culture, don't you think? He tells Angelica, "You too skinny. I no like to see you so skinny. God no make people to be skinny. He make you perfect. You eat till you not hungry and you no worry about jeans.” :) (page 95)

Caryl | 24 comments YES! I love Poppy. He is a bright light! I love how Poppy thanks the God who hears and answers prayers. I like "The Color of Light" poem. It is so beautiful. (page 359)

message 7: by Kiersti (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments Caryl wrote: "YES! I love Poppy. He is a bright light! I love how Poppy thanks the God who hears and answers prayers. I like "The Color of Light" poem. It is so beautiful. (page 359)"

Oh, yes--that was a lovely poem. I wonder if Nikki wrote it or found it somewhere else? We'll have to ask.

Caryl | 24 comments I would love to know more about The Color of Light poem!

message 9: by Kiersti (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments The Winds of Sonoma definitely exemplifies the ability of Transformational Fiction to deal with difficult topics in a way that doesn't try to provide easy answers. This story definitely made me think about the complicated issue of illegal immigration, though I didn't come to any real conclusions about it. We'll discuss this more in our official Facebook chat, but is anyone else having thought provoked in this area through the story?

Caryl | 24 comments Illegal immigration is a complex issue. There are NO easy answers.

message 11: by Kiersti (new)

Kiersti | 22 comments So true.