Indian Readers discussion

Midnight's Children
This topic is about Midnight's Children
Group Book Reads > Midnight's Children [August 2015]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Em*bedded-in-books* | 44935 comments Mod
I just now realized that we are reading midnight's children in the month of our independence. A co-incidence or a deliberate nomination by the nominee?
Let her clear the doubt :)
Am starting ASAP, perhaps today itself. And I see that Harsha has already started.
So rest of you guys, please buck up and start. Eager to discuss as this book has evaded me a couple of times in the past.

message 2: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

BLURB

Born at the stroke of midnight, at the precise moment of India's independence, Saleem Sinai is destined from birth to be special. For he is one of 1,001 children born in the midnight hour, children who all have special gifts, children with whom Saleem is telepathically linked.

But there has been a terrible mix up at birth, and Saleem’s life takes some unexpected twists and turns. As he grows up amidst a whirlwind of triumphs and disasters, Saleem must learn the ominous consequences of his gift, for the course of his life is inseparably linked to that of his motherland, and his every act is mirrored and magnified in the events that shape the newborn nation of India. It is a great gift, and a terrible burden.

Gehna | 4594 comments Co-incidence :D

I started it yesterday. 5% done... pace it slow but I hope it improves :)

message 4: by Harsha (last edited Aug 01, 2015 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments I was starting to wonder if everyone forgot, lol, and just asked you on FB.
I didn't catch that little detail, very fitting coincidence! :D
I started yesterday too and 14% done, I find Rushdie's prose magical... I have a feeling that I am going to love this book!

message 5: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Gehna, Harsha, all the best.
I just read the blurb. -_-. But planning to read a bit today.

message 6: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Harsha wrote: "I was starting to wonder if everyone forgot, lol, and just asked you on FB.
I didn't catch that little detail, very fitting coincidence! :D
I started yesterday too and 14% done, I find Rushdie's p..."

Oh, yet to check my FB notifs. :)

Gehna | 4594 comments Smitha, thoughts on the blurb? :P :P *runs away*

message 8: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

magical realism - ugh, ugh
Is my only thought as of now.... *dragging the cheeky youngster back*

Gehna | 4594 comments My birthday is also on 15th August :P

Gehna | 4594 comments Col. Smith wrote: "magical realism - ugh, ugh
Is my only thought as of now.... *dragging the cheeky youngster back*"

Cheeky? :(

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments Gehna wrote: "My birthday is also on 15th August :P"

Oh wow.
Not Midnight, 1947 though, I'm sure. :P

Gehna | 4594 comments Harsha wrote: "Gehna wrote: "My birthday is also on 15th August :P"

Oh wow.
Not Midnight, 1947 though, I'm sure. :P"

Yeah :P
August 2000 :P

message 13: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Gehna wrote: "My birthday is also on 15th August :P"

You are supposed to have special gifts, according to Mr. Rushdie... 0.0

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments Col. Smith wrote: "magical realism - ugh, ugh
Is my only thought as of now.... *dragging the cheeky youngster back*"

Come on, Col., take that mental block out of your head! You can do it!

message 15: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

I enjoy magical realism as written by Murakami, but so far, by none others. I just can't bring myself to like Marquez's writing.

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments Col. Smith wrote: "I enjoy magical realism as written by Murakami, but so far, by none others. I just can't bring myself to like Marquez's writing."
I couldn't digest Marquez's writing in the first attempt either but I did enjoy Love in the time of Cholera in the second attempt. Intend to try 100 years again sometime... I have only read After Dark and Colorless Tsukuru by Murakami and enjoyed both. Other than these two, I really enjoyed Isabel Allende's writing too... Rushdie's writing, as far as I've read now, seems quite haunting to me.

Misha (itz_mie) | 3515 comments read this one last year ... it's a wonderful read ... Though the pace is quite slow and can get too dragging and verbose ... but still a profound novel in every sense :-)

happy reading guys ...

message 18: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Isabel Allende - heard a lot about her, but yet to read.
Rushdie was forever in my sights. I wanted to finish atleast one book by him, just to see why he is so revered.

message 19: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Misha wrote: "read this one last year ... it's a wonderful read ... Though the pace is quite slow and can get too dragging and verbose ... but still a profound novel in every sense :-)

happy reading guys ..."

Thanks Misha. Do follow this thread, and join in, if you feel like discussing any particular aspect. If it is slow going and long, perhaps we will have to extend the read to 2 months or so.

message 20: by Harini (new) - added it

Harini (rini11) | 42 comments I have been wanting to read this book for so long. I am so glad this book has won. Can't wait to get started on it :).

message 21: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Yes, Harini. Glad to have you join in. :)

message 22: by Aparna (new)

Aparna | 257 comments I m glad this won.. will start this one asap :)

message 23: by Siva (new)

Siva (SivaCAr) | 45 comments I am starting now!!!

message 24: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Good. Glad to know that we are more than a handful now.
Started, done with the author's foreword describing the circumstances under which he started writing the book, and resemblance of its characters to his family, friends and acquaintances, and the way Indira Gandhi adversely reacted to a statement he made about her in the book. It seems she had started litigation against him, but was murdered before it could go in court.
Chapter 1 introduces Saleem Sinai and his grandfather Aadam Aziz.

message 25: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Man Booker Prize (1981), James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction (1981), The Booker of Bookers Prize (1993), The Best of the Booker (2008)

Quite a few literary acclaims this book has won !!!

message 26: by Sita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sita First read it in the 80s and then have e-read it. Hunting for my copy...

message 27: by Harsha (last edited Aug 02, 2015 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments I'm 22% into the book, and our protagonist is still in his mother's womb(!) The narration is on an epic scale, very detailed; decades of events and incidents converging into one moment, magic realism, entwining of personal/family history with a nation's history... the novel is a slow-burner, but I can already see why it has entered the canon of postmodern/ post-colonial fiction.

A quote that caught my attention is, "To understand just one life, you have to swallow the world." It got me thinking, isn't it incredible, how incidents that occur decades and even centuries before one's birth, often shape one's life? One's story truly does begin long before one's birth...

message 28: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

nice quote, Harsha. I am eagerly anticipating.

message 29: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (Hazel_3d) | 477 comments Harsha wrote: "To understand just one life, you have to swallow the world." It got me thinking, isn't it incredible, how incidents that occur decades and even centuries before one's birth, often shape one's life? One's story truly does begin long before one's birth..."

Harsha U got me thinking about it too! We think our life is our own but as arent we just fibres in the canvas of the universe! (Sigh!)

message 30: by Ravi (last edited Aug 02, 2015 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ravi Gangwani | 5 comments I started it 10 days back, just remaining with last chapter 'Abracadabra' ... Though I really liked it but I found 'The Satanic Verses' much better.

Anyone here who read The Satanic verses here? what is your take on it.

message 31: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

This is my first Rushdie. Satanic verses in re-read list.

message 32: by Ajit (new) - added it

Ajit | 1 comments I am starting it today itself.

message 33: by Ravi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ravi Gangwani | 5 comments So this book won Booker of the Booker (on 40th Anniversary) and best of Booker (on 25th Anniversary)... Considering all Booker Prize winning books till now (based on how many of them you read)... tell me which books you felt, as per your perception, better than this one ?

I found 'The narrow road to the deep north', last year winner, as the best Booker winner till date (Though I read as of now only 13-14 Booker winning books)... and Disgrace I would place second.

message 34: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Ravi wrote: "So this book won Booker of the Booker (on 40th Anniversary) and best of Booker (on 25th Anniversary)... Considering all Booker Prize winning books till now (based on how many of them you read)... t..."

I have to see how many Bookers I have read.
Remember only
The God of Small Things- liked a lot
The Blind Assassin - ditto
The White Tiger - average
The Inheritance of Loss - loved
The Luminaries- loved
Heat and Dust-average

So far, am impressed with this one. But it is too early to tell, at just 7%.

message 35: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Am at the part where Naaku and Nazeem have successfully culminated their on-opposite-sides-of-the-sheet consultation. Was funny to contemplate.

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments I completed Book 1 last night, which ends with the birth of Saleem, our protagonist. Haven't been able to read today because of college, hopefully can read a little more before I sleep tonight.

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments Col. Smith wrote: "Am at the part where Naaku and Nazeem have successfully culminated their on-opposite-sides-of-the-sheet consultation. Was funny to contemplate." It really is funny, and I guess it would seem funnier to you, being a doc yourself :D

message 38: by Ravi (last edited Aug 03, 2015 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ravi Gangwani | 5 comments Which character you found most interesting in this book ?

If you have to choose three characters whose idiosyncrasies you loved the most... Who could they be, for me :
(1) Evie burns (I would like to know what happened with her or her later story appearing in some different version)
(2) Boatman-Tai (I think there would be no difficulty in guessing that :P )
(3) Parvati-the-witch and her Basket and Mother Reverend (Loved her part, where she opens a petrol pump and hence therefore engrosses herself listening others) .
ohh! I forgot Padma.

Though Resham Bibi had a small section, but her small appearance seemed adding a flavor.

Arunava Sircar | 1 comments I am going to start it today.

message 40: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Ravi wrote: "Which character you found most interesting in this book ?

If you have to choose three characters whose idiosyncrasies you loved the most... Who could they be, for me :
(1) Evie burns (I would like..."

I have to read further to comment.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Anudeep (annaanudeep) | 19 comments Read it long back bt wanna read again ... starting today ... Gonna catch up with u all ...

Abhishek | 22 comments Had been looking to read this one for some time now, but missed out, this was a good opportunity. So, started last week, almost half way through now. Liking it so far both the writing and the story. In specific things have picked up in part 2, looking forward for more details on noses and knees.

message 43: by Rian (new) - added it

Rian Nejar (riannejar) Bit late, but am reading it too. Read The Satanic Verses many years ago...honestly, didn't like it one bit. An unpleasant sense of barely disguised intellectual arrogance, of a disavowal of traditions and culture lending personal refinement, seeped from the writing.

message 44: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Rian, not at all late. Most of us are in the initial pages. :-)

message 45: by Rian (new) - added it

Rian Nejar (riannejar) Col. Smith wrote: "Rian, not at all late. Most of us are in the initial pages. :-)"

Speaking of initial pages, I've never seen the singular 'my' used with the plural 'destinies.' For that matter, I don't remember ever coming across usage such as this by the author: "my destinies indissolubly chained to those of my country..." Picky, perhaps, but these are distracting, and each encountered make the author's other contortions of English look less like his style, and more like a garish mask over his writing...

message 46: by Rian (new) - added it

Rian Nejar (riannejar) Nevertheless, the story of the grandfather, Doctor Aadam Aziz, and his falling in love, has been entertaining...

Gehna | 4594 comments This book is very boring... The MC is still not BORN and I am 20% done now :/

message 48: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Gehna, keep it up, girl. Have heard from trustworthy sources that it gets better as it goes on. :)
I am to start it again. Had given up temporarily as I was too busy in the past week.

message 49: by Harsha (last edited Aug 09, 2015 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Harsha (harshau) | 1405 comments I am 50% into the book. Saleem is ten years old now and has already discovered his 'gift' and is also employing it.. Other Midnight's Children have also been introduced, albeit only briefly. There have been references to familiar historical events which I find interesting... The only parts I don't like much are when the narrative shifts back to the present, but I don't feel compelled to skip those parts or anything...

Hadn't read much all week and then just picked up from where I left off last weekend and didn't feel any problem with the continuity or anything... only wish I had more time... I am absolutely enthralled by the world Rushdie has woven and find myself thinking about it even when I am not reading the book!

I have been searching for this critical text on the novel I had bought some years ago mistaking it to be the original novel, but I seem to have misplaced it somewhere.. would be interesting to read it after finishing the novel I suppose...

message 50: by Em*bedded-in-books*, #madbibliophile (new) - added it

Harsha, I too am only about to restart. Am woefully lagging behind at 15%. At the part where Azif's various daughters are setting up their matrimonial quests.

« previous 1