Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 243 (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 01, 2015 01:27PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30557 comments Mod
Team Xena

Members

Carmen Co-Captain
Monica Co-Captain
Alison
Sarah Groth
Filipa
Catherine
Kathleen
Zanyar Kamaran

Spreadsheets
Master Spreadsheet

Team Spreadsheet

- Once all columns of a goal have been filled out a new goal will appear within 5 minutes.

- Do not change existing pages. You may add a new page to your spreadsheet if you want to track additional information.

- Mark books as used in your books list once they are used for a goal.

- Only books read during the current round may be applied towards goals, once the round has ended those books may no longer be used for a goal.

- Once you merge teams, you may use your books for your partner teams goals. List them in your books list and on their goals sheet. Mark them as used.

- If you end up with more than 3 open goals, contact a moderator for help.

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Hi Sarah and everyone else. Very excited to be on team Xena.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 773 comments Hi all!! Is everyone ready to get started?

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Can't wait. I have been challengeless for almost a week now so feeling a bit lost :)

message 5: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 292 comments Hi team!! Checking in, can't wait to start. :)

message 6: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jul 31, 2015 05:24PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Hi everybody. I didn't know the teams were posted. Wow I'm glad I caught of of the other teams posting or I wouldn't have known. I hope everyone is ready for battle :)

Monica I 'm going to save a few spots for us since the Mods must have forgotten to do that.

message 7: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Aug 03, 2015 04:48PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Team Bookshelves
Carmen~ gladiator games
Monica nbrc gladiator challenge
Alison~ gladiator games
Filipa~ gladiator games
Sarah~ the gladiator games
Catherine~ nbrc gladiator games
Kathleen~ gladiator games
Zanyar~ nbrc gladiator

Challenge Rule:

◈ The battles take place between each team at the end of the round.

◈ A gladiator may gain an advantage through two methods: attack and defense.

◈ Attack points are awarded for reading books. (Half a point of attack for books under 500 pages and 1 point of attack for books 500+ pages)

◈ Defense points are awarded for completing goals. (1 point of defense per goal)

◈ If a teams defense is higher than the attacker's attack power, the hit from the attacker will be 0.

◈ Books read towards defense goals also count towards attack points.

◈ There will be 3 defense goals active for each gladiator, when one is submitted on the spreadsheet, another will be automatically generated a short time after.

◈ Any book read during the current round may be used to complete goals.

◈ Books read in a previous round may not be used on new goals.

◈ Attack and defense points carry on into the next round and are added to your gladiator teams total point value.

◈ Ties in battle will result in both sides receiving a victory point.

message 8: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Aug 12, 2015 07:03PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Battle Week 1 Goals
Read a book with a weapon on the cover.
Read a book whose author (first or last name) starts with an R.
Read a book where a character is a teacher.
Read a book that is book 6,7,8,9 in a series
Read a book with a planet, star, sun or moon on the cover
Read a book with a red cover
Read a book that starts with the letter X
Read a book which has the main location (setting) as Europe
Read a book first published in December
Read a book with the main genre (listed on the first page on GR) as Classic

Read a book first published on the 30th of a month
Read a book where a character is a witch/wizard
Read a book first published on the 9th of a month
Read a book with the main genre (listed on the first page on GR) as Spiritual

Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with F
Read a book that is in the Amazon 2005 bestsellers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/...)

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 773 comments Go right ahead Carmen. Not sure if I should reserve any. Getting excited and nervous about this game.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 773 comments Sarah all I know is we have to read at least one book in 2 weeks. I will learn as I play.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Monica wrote: "Go right ahead Carmen. Not sure if I should reserve any. Getting excited and nervous about this game."

I am too. If you want you can reserve some if you think of anything that we might need it for later. I'm going to put the rules and the teams shelves. It might be easier to check posted books.

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 773 comments Re

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 773 comments Re

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Sarah wrote: "Carmen or Monica

Do you want link's to our shelves for the books?"

I've been working on some of your shelves but some don't have a specific shelf or they are private but once you have the shelf I would greatly appreciate the link :)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Your ok Sarah. I have your shelf. If you see the post I made. If you click on your shelf name. It will go directly to it. So you are ok. Only the one's with the missing shelves are missing.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Sarah wrote: "Sorry did not see that you posted that. Thanks!"

Your welcome. I might have been working on it while you were posting LOL

message 19: by Eni (new)

Eni | 1952 comments "She was Xena, a mighty Princess forged in the heat of battle!"

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Eni wrote: ""She was Xena, a mighty Princess forged in the heat of battle!""

Hahahaha Hi Eni :)

message 21: by Eni (new)

Eni | 1952 comments Hai :D I may or may not have been a Xena fan when I was a teenager xD

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Eni wrote: "Hai :D I may or may not have been a Xena fan when I was a teenager xD"

Hahahaha That's ok.

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

The master spreadsheet and team spreadsheet has been added to the beginning of your team thread.

Captains and co-captains should message the moderator account with their team name and google doc e-mail to be added to the approved editors of the team spreadsheet.

message 24: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 292 comments Here's the link to my shelf - Gladiator games

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Hi, Looks like you've all been busy while I've been sleeping.

Apparently my goodreads app hates this thread as it keeps crashing everytime i try to open it :( so appologies now if I miss anything.

I've set up my shelf but not sure how to put up a link. Can you find it?

message 26: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Was going to check our clues and start planning my reads but can't access the spreadsheet. Is it just me?

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Good morning team.

Alison I'll take care of it later today. I'm on the app now and can't really do much on as you know LOL

message 28: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 292 comments Alison wrote: "Was going to check our clues and start planning my reads but can't access the spreadsheet. Is it just me?"

No, our team spreadsheet link is coming back to this thread. Now I'm curious about our goals. :p

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

That's because there was no link :)

Fixed now.

message 30: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "That's because there was no link :)

Fixed now."

Fab. Thank you.

message 31: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 292 comments Thanks! :)

message 32: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9466 comments Sarah wrote: "I have a question... Can you read more then one book for a goal? Like for the Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with R can you read all your books for that goal or just one book a goal??"

Only one book counts for each goal. So after one of you read R book, you'll get new task.

message 33: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Aug 01, 2015 12:03PM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9466 comments We are not saying that only one person can read book for a goal, but there is no point for it. As far as I see most teams will have first comes thing going on. Meaning, few people might be reading book for a same task, but book that is read first will be the one that goes for it. It kinda makes sense since it's better for a team to finish task quickly and get new one. More tasks finished, more points
Now, even if you are reading book for a goal and someone else is faster, your book can still be used for another goal. Or it can be used for attack points.
Every read book during challenge (that fits requirement) can and will be used just not all in the same way. :)

But in the end it's up to team and your captain how you'll work on tasks. Will one person read for one task, or more, up to you.

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments So do we have a plan of how we want to do this? Do we want to allocate clues or just all do our own thing and see who finishes a book that fits first?

message 35: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Please welcome your new team member Zanyar Kamaran.

message 36: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 292 comments Welcome Zanyar! :D

I think using the first book finished might be the best approach, since that will allow us to rotate goals quicker. We'd just have to make sure we have all of them covered, wouldn't want to leave a poor goal all sad and alone. :P But I'm ok with however you guys want to do this. :)

message 37: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Hi Zanyar. Welcome to team Xena.

Sounds like a good idea to me Filipa. I have a couple of books on my kindle at the moment which will work for either author starting R or weapon on cover. I can't think of any with a teacher.

message 38: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 292 comments I have books for all of them, especially the weapon one. Soo many weapons. lol

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "We are not saying that only one person can read book for a goal, but there is no point for it. As far as I see most teams will have first comes thing going on. Meaning, few people might be reading ..."

Thanks Tea for answering the questions. It's been a crazy day at home.

message 40: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Aug 01, 2015 06:21PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Ok ladies. How would you like to do this? Would you like to pick a goal and maybe see who can get it done and then maybe use the other books for the next goals? The faster we get the goals completed the more points we get. What do you think? The more stuff we can collect for other goals too will be a good idea too. Since we can use read books for upcoming goals as long as there from the first 2 weeks.

I'm still missing Catherine. I PMed her and waiting for a response. As for our new teammate Zanyar,welcome to Team Xena.

Gladiator countdown clock

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I have a few books with teachers.

message 42: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 773 comments I have Divergent I am starting and the authors last name starts with R.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I guess we'll start our books tomorrow then work our way through and see who finishes what until we here from the other 2 team members.

message 44: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Hey guys....I'll put my shelf up in a few :)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Hi ladies.
Sounds good Sarah
Catherine welcome to the group :)

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Ok..so it's nbrc-gladiator-games

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Ok...so I'm confused....

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Catherine wrote: "Ok...so I'm confused...."

Hi Catherine. What are you confused about?

message 49: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2425 comments Hi all, I started and finished The One by Kiera Cass today. Doesn't fit any of the clues as it sounded like they were all covered but we can use for half an attack point or wait and see if it fits a future goal.

Any preference to what I read next or should I just go with whatever?

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Anything we read can be used? Or do we only need to use books that fit the clues?

« previous 1 3 4 5