Stephen King Fans discussion

Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > the best stephen king book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Booksarentcoolanymore i think his best book that i have read is deffinantly the mist

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments The Stand for me

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments IT

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments watch it Rob, Pennywise is gonna kick your butt! :)

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments Off topic, but I love the word "Shiny" they use in Firefly to mean cool. I say it all the time and think of The Shining.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Rob wrote: "Then The Overlook will put some Shine on yer a**! :)"

Ummmm...no comment.

message 7: by Madeline (new)

Madeline I've only read a few of his books, but so far The Shining is by far my favorite.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Hearts in Atlantis is his best single book (IMHO). The twisty turns in that rival those in the Dark Tower series.
I was thoroughly disappointed in the movie; then again, it would have been impossible to do the book justice with anything less than a miniseries.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I think I'm gonna have to go with Rob and Terri here: The Shining and The Stand. (I can't just choose one.)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Rob wrote: "Did I overstep my bounds?"

No! I just couldn't think of a comeback that didn't involve "shiny" and "a**", wasn't sure if that would overstep some boundaries.:)

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) You could have said "I got your shiny a** right here!"

;P

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments thank you Becky! (can i just thank you in every thread?)

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments how shiny is your a**?

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments haha

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments Whereas Hearts in Atlantis bored me to tears...

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments Ummm...baby powder can do wonders for a shiny a$$.

Just trying to be helpful! I love you guys:)

message 17: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith In my opinion, the best King book is Misery. I love the limited characters and scenes. I think he made it work so well. Also, it doesn't have any supernatural stuff in it, which is part of why I think the horror really sells.

message 18: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Stefu,
Good points you make. The horror within - what we're at least potentially capable of - can be the true stuff of nightmares.

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rachel wrote: "thank you Becky! (can i just thank you in every thread?)"

Sure! :)

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments I have too many favorites.....it's hard to pick just one! Hey I have a question....has anyone here read Duma Key?

message 21: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Ludeker (joshlud) | 12 comments I have read Duma Key. I would have to say The Stand as my favorite SK book. :-)

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments I read Duma Key. I'm noticing a sub-plot of an accident in much of his work since his hit and run. Most notably of course, in one of the later DT books. Have others noticed this?

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments I read Duma Key too, and thought it was terrific.

Yes, Tom, there do seem to be a lot of life changing accidents in his more recent books, huh?

message 24: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Ludeker (joshlud) | 12 comments Most definitely. I remember that specific part in the DT series. He was pulsating with anger and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. He says that he forgave this guy who hit him, but, after reading that, it does not seem that way at all.
Yes, Duma Key was awesome.

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments Ok cool. I have it and I was going to read it but I wanted to see what everyone thought of it. Not that it really matters though; I love all his books. I haven't read one I didn't like so I know I'm going to like this one too.

message 26: by Ladybird (new)

Ladybird (maria712) My favorite is Different Seasons, simply for the story The Body. More specifically, the little blurb just before the story starts is in my opinion, the truest thing ever written. He talks about how hard it is to express in words what you are truly thinking/feeling, yet he seems to explain that very idea flawlessly. To the reader, it feels like a contradiction because it's pitch perfect. However, to him, it must feel like it doesn't quite capture "exactly" what he means as words can never quite do...God, I just love that piece of writing. Rings truer to me than anything I've ever read.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) PENNYWISE best character ever next to ROLAND!!!!!IT-THE GUNSLINGER BOOKS-THE STAND-LISEY'S STORY-DESPERATION top five in that order.

message 28: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Lori - for the most part, I'd agree w/ your choices, but I think 'd put "It" for # 5, and include Duma Key

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) I have it but haven't read it yet.

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments After I finish the book I'm currently reading, I think I'm going to have to read Duma Key! :)

message 31: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Jones | 13 comments I think it's gonna be Under the Dome once it releases. Even Mr. King is pumping this one up and Dan Simmons absolutely loved it. I think it's going to be number 1.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Everyone is saying the best book well thats

The Stand

The Gunslinger is a series!

So there my choice for best single book is the stand, But Roland will always be the best series and always be the baddest mother f@#$r in the Worlds! lol a little SK pun!

message 33: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Ludeker (joshlud) | 12 comments Tim,

I completely agree with you! The Dark Tower series was fantastic. I gobbled it all up and begged for more. As a stand alone novel, The Stand is absolutely the best!

message 34: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments I have got to read The Dark Tower series. I'm seriously slacking!!!! I need to pick up the pace. I don't even own any of them!

message 35: by Martin (new)

Martin Maher (martin87) | 72 comments The `Dark Tower`series are certainly a great read. I`ve read the first 5 volumes & most say I loved them. The Gunslinger did start a bit slow, but picked up nicely as the book went on.

message 36: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) | 64 comments I loved the Dark Tower series, but as far as single books go, my favorite is definitely IT.

message 37: by Steinar (new)

Steinar Sigurdsson (snugget) The Talisman, although it's co-authored. Such a magical book.

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments Yes, The Talisman was great. A very good story.

message 39: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments What was that one word that Jack(?) kept repeating as he was running down the beam?
I walked around saying that word for a LONG time; didn't think I'd ever get it out of my head.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Did you see the ties between the worlds and the whole twinners thing?

message 41: by Bondama (last edited Jul 29, 2009 07:40AM) (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Tom --- the word was "D'YAMBA" Although it did bog down in parts (Straub's, I assume) I loved "The Black House" because it tied in so very deeply with the whole mythology of the Tower. I like Peter Straub, but as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't think he and SK write as well together as they do separately.

message 42: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments I loved Talisman and have read it over and over. I was really excited to read Black House, but was actually disapointed. I think maybe I really wanted boy Jack back, as opposed to man Jack.

message 43: by Robin (new)

Robin The Shining is outstanding = my favorite

message 44: by Nightwolf (new)

Nightwolf | 2 comments My favorite King book is DEFINITELY The Shining. Great plot, outstanding characters... it's just amazing! My other favorites are Carrie and Insomnia.

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Chambers | 2 comments The Shining.

message 46: by Mel (new)

Mel Munyua | 6 comments dark tower

message 47: by Mel (new)

Mel Munyua | 6 comments but for a stand alone it would half to be, Dark half

message 48: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cindil) | 14 comments The Stand, followed closely by Salem's Lot and The Shining.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments The Stand....hands down!

message 50: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) I was just making some suggestions the other day to a person that had never read any SK, and I called The Stand his magnum opus, but I suggested she read one of the short story collections for her first experience and then I thought of Different Seasons. Even though it's not horror, I think it is his finest writing, actually, so I suggested that, too.

« previous 1