Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Day after blues?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danyale (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danyale I am feeling slightly like the day after Christmas. So much excitement- so much build up and now it is over. What to do? Does anyone else feel this way? What do you think will be the next big thing to grab the worlds attention?
(ps I love the book- love the series)

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Young Same here. The book was so full of emotion and action it's all anti-climax now, only this time we don't have another one to look forward to in a year's time. So it's like the day after the last ever Christmas.

Okay, so probably not as drastic as that, and I'm actually really, really happy because it was such an amazing finale to a fab series of books. As for the next big thing...who knows? If JK writes anything else I'm guessing it'll be as huge regardless of what it's about.

message 3: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate I got my copy today and read it within hours I loved it and I'm devestated that the Harry Potter era is over! This was the best book by far and I hope that the film, that will eventually be made for it, doesn't ruin the end of the series. I was brought to tears so many times and yet laughed so many times, something about Merlin's saggy left testicle was the best! Although I'm glad that the wait is finally over I am, as Hannah says, feeling slightly anti-climatic and a bit down-in-the-dumps.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara I have to agree with Danyale. We've waited for so to see how the story ends and now that it's over we have to think of life with new Harry Potter books.

I picked up this book at Chapters on Friday Night 12:01 and went home to start reading it. I finished last night at midnight and I enjoyed every page.

I'm glad the three main characters made it. None of the characters that died seem to grab me except for Fred. sniff I really thought Malfoy was going to be one of the characters to get killed off. I love that Neville finally came into his own and showed his true colors.

Going to miss the Potter gang.

message 5: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex I agree wtih everyone. i feel down in the dumps that its over but definatly happy that it ended how it did. only like 3 deaths in the book actually made me upset. Tonks and Lupin by far becuase they just had a baby, and that was like the best part of the book for me ( ok not the best but it was still pretty cool. a metamorphogig half werewolf, you cant get much cooler then that). but the fact that fred died was harsh. and im so happy that ron and hermione finally got together. i wish the epilouge had given a little more. maybe JK will write more??? hopeful and doubtful. i liked the book though.

message 6: by Keri (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Gorbett I just finished it....And I was just thinking the same thing, how sad that it's over. I was so glad that Harry lived, when I thought he was dead I started bawling like I had lost a friend. I am just hoping that the movie gives the book it's justice being that is was the final chapter

message 7: by Corinne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Corinne Just finished it...and I am right there with you Keri. I feel like I've lost my friends. How sad, and yet how incredible that we can become so attached to characters in a book. It's amazing! I this this was the best book yet, and I'm so happy with how everything turned out. I was always rooting for Snape, and was starting to get a little peeved when the book was almost finished and he was still working with Voldemort. What a terrific close to an incredible series!

message 8: by fahad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

fahad I feel the same way about the series ending; the Snape chapter in particular got to me, to the point where I started doing Google searches to see what other people were saying about it. Then I had a chat about it with my sister and that's when I stopped and thought "Snape's not even real!". I guess that points to the power of fiction, and Rowling's skill in getting us to care about her characters. If only real life had the same draw...

message 9: by Jeff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Yeah like JK Rowlings is so good at attaching the readers into the story that while you read it, you feel like your part of the book. I got the book at midnight and red it straight through without any breaks and after its just like, WOW, did all of that really just happen and now its all over. I loved every second of it and there's now way i'll ever forget the books so they are almost a part of you!

message 10: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue well, since my birthday is the day after Christmas, it's the day after the day after Christmas let down, for me.
I have been unable to stop thinking about Potter since I started rereading the whole series in the beginning of June. I get so enthralled that I forget who I am and that I'm not personally involved with the story.

I finished books 1-6 and then had 3 weeks to wait for the book to come out. The series hooks me in so much that I was unable to pace myself, as I had planned.

Now that I've spent almost two months hovering in Harryland, the last three days have involved digesting it all. I'm at a loss as no one I know well has finished it yet... so thank you cyber friends for your fellow grief in the ending of a beautiful friendship with Harry Potter's books.

message 11: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue well, since my birthday is the day after Christmas, it's the day after the day after Christmas let down, for me.
I have been unable to stop thinking about Potter since I started rereading the whole series in the beginning of June. I get so enthralled that I forget who I am and that I'm not personally involved with the story.

I finished books 1-6 and then had 3 weeks to wait for the book to come out. The series hooks me in so much that I was unable to pace myself, as I had planned.

Now that I've spent almost two months hovering in Harryland, the last three days have involved digesting it all. I'm at a loss as no one I know well has finished it yet... so thank you cyber friends for your fellow grief in the ending of a beautiful friendship with Harry Potter's books.

message 12: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alice I totally feel this, and thank goodness I'm not the only one!
It's been so hard to realize that though time is still moving in my world, the clocks are all stopped in the world of Harry Potter. The story is over, and though we can revisit, it will never again grip us and pull us forward into the unknown.
I mourned the end of this series like the death of a good friend.
However, I feel happy and uplifted by the way things turned out. I'm glad that Harry lived, but also pleased that he was willing to make the sacrifice that so many others made. When I have children, I will give them these books as part of the sacred canon of childhood- the books that every child should have to read and to treasure and return to as old friends.

message 13: by Carrie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie To be honest, I don't think all is said and done. Too many people have invested too much time and love into this series for it to end completely, IMHO. And after all, we've still got two movies to look forward to, and I am certainly excited to see those!

message 14: by Tom (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Here are my top 3 suggestions for adults going through Potter withdrawal:

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Titus Groan, by Mervyn Peake (Can't be a coincidence that Rowling has a charachter named Peakes.)

Our Mutual Friend, Dickens. No magic, but a Hogwarthian plot.

message 15: by Eli (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eli I don't know - Strange and Norrell seems particularly plodding after the roller coaster of DH. Seems like it might make you miss Potter more, not less.

I'd recommend something COMPLETELY different. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle or something along those lines.

message 16: by Tarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tarah OMG- i can't believe others are depressed as much as i am now that i am finished with the series :(

message 17: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate PPP are the BEST. "I am Snape, the Potions Master..." HA!

message 18: by May (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

May Santiago As everyone, I am a bit sad that the series has ended and secretly hope for JK to write soemthing equally as good but what could be better than Harry Potter. I liked then ending. I was not disappointed.
What is Potters Puppet Pals?

message 19: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cindy I'm the only one of my friends to read all the HP books and really be a fan. After I finished reading, I was satisfied. It was a beautifully written piece. But I was also empty I guess. I felt like I had been on this emotionally roller coaster, following these three teens, and had nothing left. And then, I had noone to talk to about it and nothing is worse than reading a great book and being left bursting to discuss and instead having to swallow it all. I would say my post blues lasted a good couple of days. I started a new book right away to try and facilitate the goodbye process but...it was difficult to enjoy the new book...I was still thinking about HP. I'll have to reread it next summer.

message 20: by May (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

May Santiago Cindy,
I understand how you feel and I am also a believer in children and building their reading habits. So, I began to re-read all the books to my five year old. Inthis way I get to re-enjoy it and my five year old loves it. We go through them so fast. We are on book five now and she is an expert on Harry Potter facts. Read to a child you will love it and you would be growing the love of reading in a child.

M

message 21: by BookWorm (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

BookWorm to the original question
i was so sad and no other series could best it, but there is a series thats close, it the demonata series by darren shan, the first book is called lord loss, and darrens other series is also very good, cirque du freak, first book, a living nightmare.
i recomend them for any die-hard harry fans!

Malia I heard that J.K. is going to write her next book[s] under a pen name. May, I think that the Potter Puppet Pals are some sort of HP fanclub/puppeteers,it's posted on youtube.

Malia I heard that J.K. is writing her next book[s] under a pen name.

Ciara I definately had day after blues. It was before the final two movies were released and I had finished the last sentence. I couldn't discuss the deaths with my family, who had not read the series but were looking forward to seeing the films.
I also heard J.K was writing another book, I heard it in an interview.