Writer's Advice and Feedback Group discussion

Ask questions about writing > All the advice you can give

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles Upchuck | 2 comments I like what other people write. I wish I knew how to write. Can you help me to write? Write, write, write.

https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (alice20) I really really like the narration! So original (it's kind of like a mix between third and first person, you know what I mean?)! And I love how it is so effective in portraying the loneliness and eccentricity of the protagonist.

You're a talented writer, Charles. (You don't have to wish you could write because, well, I think you've just proven you can ;) )

I would love to see more. Where are you planning on taking this story? And do you need any specific writing advice?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Thomson | 93 comments Mod
I completely agree with Ali on this one, you can write! How can you be unaware of how awesome your writing is? The idea of Charles creating Marie? Ingenious and already telling the audience that though Charles is old and lonely, he isn't stupid and apparently he still has a sense of humour!:D Keep writing, give us more:)

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles Upchuck | 2 comments Aww, thanks guys. You're going to make me turn red, mostly through the overwhelming anxiety it causes me to receive compliments. The comments you made reflect what i was trying to achieve, so it's good to see that it comes across as intended. There's no real goal with this, as i wrote it in about 5 minutes when i was bored and wanted to see if i could. It turns out that it's extremely difficult to carry this narration very far, it sort of fizzles out fairly quickly. I suppose the advice i most need is how to be consistent. I'm like an ex-mechanic with a garage full of engine parts, i can start but i can rarely finish.

message 5: by Cindy ♥ (new)

Cindy ♥ | 111 comments Mod
Charles wrote: "Aww, thanks guys. You're going to make me turn red, mostly through the overwhelming anxiety it causes me to receive compliments. The comments you made reflect what i was trying to achieve, so it's ..."

Advice: Don't give up.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) | 24 comments Yep, that's about the first thing you should never EVER do. People have ideas every day, daydreamings. Super awesome people will give them a thought and read about the kind of things they wish to experience. Writers write them. And authors keep writing and don't give up. :P

What I mean, is that more often than not you'll suddenly get inspired and whip out pages of good writing, and then it'll be like... What the hell do I do now? The thing is to keep getting inspired and follow down that road to see where it takes you.

Good luck!