Mr. Kovach's 7th and 8th period reading group discussion

Goodreads essay due 2-17-14

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Kovach (new)

Mr. Kovach (ckovachfranklinboeorg) | 25 comments Mod
PRE-ASSESSMENT FOR ANALYTICAL READING UNIT (for use in class only, not at home)

First, read the selection on the table at the front of the room. Read it CLOSELY, analyzing it for a clear theme or central idea. Underline or circle where there is TEXTUAL EVIDENCE that can support your claim of a theme or central idea. Put a STAR next to each character's name the first time you see it, and then put an ASTERISK next to something about each character that shows what kind of a person they are (smart, angry, caring, resourceful, etc.).

Next, WRITE AT LEAST THREE PARAGRAPHS to answer the following four questions. (Don't answer the questions directly - write three paragraphs that together answer them.) You will earn 25 points per complete paragraph, and more points for textual evidence and examples of writer's craft (as explained below).

1) State a clear idea or claim about a theme or central idea in the story.

2) Support your idea with at least three examples of textual evidence.

3) Explain how the evidence supports the theme or central idea.

4) Discuss the author's craft, including literary techniques (setting, mood, tone, symbolism, repetition, dialogue, imagery, figurative language).

REMEMBER THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT WRITING IS TO JUST WRITE! So just write lots and lots, talking about the things in the four questions above and you'll do fine. Write PARAGRAPHS, together as one essay - don't number your answers.

message 2: by Bryanna (new)

Bryanna marie  vazquez | 1 comments 1.) state a clear idea or claim about a theme or central idea in the story. A

2) Support your idea with at least three examples of textual evidence.

3) Explain how the evidence supports the theme or central idea

4.)Discuss the author's craft, including literary techniques (setting, mood, tone, symbolism, repetition, dialogue, imagery, figurative language

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 25 comments In the story "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros a girl named Rachael has a bad day on her birthday. She expects the day to be good but really turns out bad because of a ignurant teacher. From this story I realize that the theme is, "Things aren't always what they seem to be.''

One reason I believe this is the theme is because in the story Rachael expects this day, her birthday, to be a wonderful day because its her birthday. Although it is not a good day because she gets in trouble for something she didn't do/wasn't hers. The teacher thought that the sweater in the story was Rachael's even though it wasn't. This made Rachael sad and have a lousy day.

Another reason I think this is the theme is because in the story the teacher, Mrs. Price is thought of as a fair, responsible adult. But, she is not. She was not fair towards Rachael because even thought Rachael said it wasn't her sweater Mrs. Price still said it was hers and made Rachael cry. This is an example of the theme.

In the end I can say that the theme is, "Things aren't always what they seem. I know this because Rachael was sad on her birthday that she thought would be a great day. Also because Mrs. Price was passed off as a responsible adult but really wasn't. For these reasons I know that, that is the theme.

message 4: by Rusil (last edited Feb 17, 2014 01:09PM) (new)

Rusil | 22 comments The main base of the story "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros is that "Even you get old you are still a young person in the inside". In the story Rachel not only feels Eleven. She also feels ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two and one. Rachel thinks that "When you wake up on your eleventh birthday you expect to feel eleven, but you don’t. You open your eyes and everything’s just like yesterday, only it’s today."

She express her life like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk. Or like her little wooden dolls that fit one inside the others, each year inside the next one. She also said that some days you might say something stupid, and that's the part of you that's till ten. Or maybe some days you might need to sit on your mama's lap because you're scared, and that's the part of you that's five. And maybe one day when you're all grown up maybe you will need to cry like if you're three, and that's okay.

That explains that even if you are old you some times feel three or five or four or ten. Every year you get bigger and bigger you are still small from inside. You still can feel that you are 3 when you cry, even you are fifteen or seventeen. You can feel any age any time, even if you are a little older for that and it is fine. Even you are fifty people are scared of something. So that is your part that you are five.

Mostly Mrs.Price was talking in the story, because she thought that the red sweater is Rachel's. Which also connect to the mood of the story, Rachel always feels sad because of being eleven.That's because her eleventh birthday didn't work out well. Every time Rachel was saying that she doesn't only eleven, she also feels ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two and one.Which connects to my theme I told before,"Even you get old you are still a young person in the inside".

message 5: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Grant | 15 comments The main base of the story is that Even you get old you are still a young person in the inside. In the story rachel doesnt feel Eleven. She also feels all the ages under 11. Rachel thinks that When you wake up on your eleventh birthday you expect to feel eleven, but you don’t. You open your eyes and everything’s just like yesterday, only it’s today."

She express her life like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk. Or like her little wooden dolls that fit one inside the others, each year inside the next one. She also said that some days you might say something stupid, and that's the part of you that's till ten. Or maybe some days you might need to sit on your mama's lap because you're scared, and that's the part of you that's five. And maybe one day when you're all grown up maybe you will need to cry like if you're three, and that's okay.

That explains that even if you are old you some times feel three or five or four or ten. Every year you get bigger you are small from inside

message 6: by Edstelle (new)

Edstelle Jacques | 22 comments 1.) In the story "Eleven",the theme is when you are at a certain age,you don't only act that age,you act you also act like all the other ages you have been.I think this is the theme because she sets her character as someone who doesn't care.Throughout the story Mrs.Price(Rachel's teacher),is most likely doing the talking and she is yelling at Rachel because there was a red sweater

message 7: by Avani (new)

Avani | 27 comments What I Think Is The Main Theme In The Story "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros

In the story "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros to me there is a pretty clear theme.To me that is that no matter how old you get you have all of your past ages bundled up inside of you.You probably wouldn't know what I am talking about unless you have read the story so i will explain.

In the story the main character Rachel is turning Eleven.In the story she keeps on repeating that when you are Eleven (which she is turning in the story),you will also be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,and 10.I think that what she means by this is that no matter how old you become you will always have a part of you that shows all the ages inside of you.For example rachel says in the story that "somedays when you need to sit on your moms lap that is the part of you that is still five." Also they she says that "maybe one day when your all grown up and you need to cry that is the part of you that is still three.''

Basically the author is trying to say that we all have times in our lives when our past ages come out inside of us.For example sometimes if i'm away for my Mom for a long time it makes me feel sad and I feel like I have to be with her like when I was six.So still those ages come out in my day to day life because no one is perfect.I think that the author of this story (Sandra Cisnreos) does a really good job of being repetative in her writing which I think gives the story an edge.I feel like this story can help people to embrace there inner child and be ok with having emotions.I think that the mood in the story is I guess childish,and the tone is sad.This is what I think the theme is in the story "Eleven'' by Sandra Cineros.I have given textual evidence and examples to support this.

Thanks For Reading-Avani Reed

Jordanjamilmann | 14 comments When you turn eleven you still seem younger then before.When your eleven you feel ten,nine,eight,seven,six,five,four,three,two,one. When you open your eyes it still seems like yesterday but it's today.Like somedays you might say something stupid and thats the part of you that's still ten.
The evidence shows that when you turn eleven you don't feel it.It feels like your the same age you remember you were.Also you don't act eleven you act younger then you were before.You don't feel any different then before.
`

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 1 comments 1)The central idea of this passage is that you should take care of your self and not let people judge you or tell you what is yours or not yours.
If you don,t then you will be controlled this will prevent you from having any fun in your life. this is bad because your will be trapped inside your self. then you will get scared in your life.
2)When someone yells at you then you start crying which is not rite for a teacher to be doing then your parents should complain. The tome of the story is sad because the teacher kept yelling at her witch is not cool because she keeps on crying.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Jaquez | 17 comments Sometimes, even though you are older, you might feel younger. is the theme. i say this because she kept bringing up how she felt younger when she was really older.

message 11: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 16 comments I say the theme is that not everything is what they seem. I say this because in the story

The tone of the story is that they are all sad.

message 12: by Nil (last edited Feb 17, 2014 09:54AM) (new)

Nil Patel (firedestroyer) | 20 comments Eleven
By Sandra Cisneros

In this story Sandra Cisneros tells about how a girl has her eleventh birthday, but she doesn't feel eleven. She doesn't feel eleven because of events throughout the school day. I think that Sandra Cisneros is trying so tell us that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one. She means to say that somewhere deep inside you your still have all the traits of younger ages.In this essay I'll tell you my thoughts on her story.

One thing she is trying to tell us is that when you release certain emotions its one of your younger ages. For example when she says, "sometimes you might need to sit on your mama’s lap because you’re scared, and that’s the part of you that’s five."So she's trying to stay that you don't always always have to act like your not any of those ages even though you really are. She also does this when she says, "maybe one day when you’re all grown up maybe you will need to cry like if you’re three, and that’s okay." She's trying to tell you no matter the age you might feel like your still younger. This is how I think she's trying to tell you that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one.

Another thing she is trying to tell us is that you might expect to feel a certain age or a certain way but you don't have to. Just like when she said,"when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one." She's trying to tell you tell that you might not feel different at all but for the saying your a different age. And she proves this also by saying, "Because the way you grow old is kind of like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk or like my little wooden dolls that fit one inside the other, each year inside the next one. That’s how being eleven years old is." So inside your all the other years. This is also how I think she's trying to tell you that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one.

One even important thing she's trying to tell you is that theres people that are waiting for you to turn that age. She says this in the story. And she looks forward to it while Mrs. Price keeps screaming at Rachel. In the story Sandra says that,"Mama is making a cake for me for tonight, and when Papa comes home everybody will sing," Happy birthday, happy birthday to you." This is also how I think she's trying to tell you that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one.

In conclusion this is how she tries to say tell us that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one. And one reason is thing she is trying to tell us is that when you release certain emotions its one of your younger ages. Another thing she is trying to tell us is that you might expect to feel a certain age or a certain way but you don't have to.One even important thing she's trying to tell you is that theres people that are waiting for you to turn that age. In conclusion I thinkshe's trying to tell you that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one.
*she uses strong emotion and dialogue

message 13: by Aleria (new)

Aleria | 13 comments In the story "Eleven''by Sandra Cisneros a girl named Rachael has a bad day on her birthday. She ex

message 14: by Dar'rosa (new)

Dar'rosa | 21 comments The central idea is to listen to what others have to say. For example in the story they teacher demanded that Rachel to put the sweater on. So, Rachel had to suffer of putting on the sweater that wasn't even hers. She keep telling the teacher it wasn't hers but the teacher doesn't listen what others have to say.
To support my idea, in the text she's telling Mrs. Price that the sweater isn't hers repeatedly. Anther to support the text is that when Rachel was telling Mrs. price that the sweater wasn't hers and The teacher interrupted her.
3) Explain how the evidence supports the theme or central idea.

4) Discuss the author's craft, including literary techniques (setting, mood, tone, symbolism, repetition, dialogue, imagery, figurative language). Mrs. Price does most of the talking in the story because the narrates the story. So

message 15: by Ajay (new)

Ajay (captainkilljoy) | 19 comments The claim or central idea if the story is that, no matter what you have to deal with life. In this story Rachel's teacher says that a sweater is hers. but it actually isnt. When she tells the teacher that it isnt hers the teacher deosnt believe her.

But at the end Rachel deals with the problem and deals with life. She dealed with it with a little bit of crying and anger but she remembers that it is her birthday and that there is a cake at home so she trys to get over it.

She was very sad. Her birthday was ruined but she dealt with her life and she got over it. So that is why, no matter what you have to deal with life is the theam of the story.

message 16: by Kamari (new)

Kamari Kelton | 17 comments When reading the story Eleven by Sandra Cisneros, the clearly stated the theme in the story. The theme is, although you can be a certain age your still a child at heart. Sometimes you feel 1 or 4 years old. I say this because in the story Mrs.Price doesn't when Rachel says that the sweater wasn't hers. Rachel felt like a baby instead of 11.

Rachel doesn't want to disrespect Mrs.Price because she knows that she has to respect her elders. Instead she tried to push the ugly red sweater of her desk but Mrs.Price forced her to but it on. Rachel began to cry. She did not feel 11 years old she felt 1,2,3,4 ect. years old. She did not want the sweater because it was not hers, she did not want someone else's germs.

message 17: by Tamir (new)

Tamir | 20 comments When reading the story 11 it mad me realize that my 1 comes out when I'm fell like crying. My 2 comes out w.hen someone yells at me. My 3 comes out when I don't get to w.atch tv and I get nothing. My 4comes out when I don't get what I want.My 5 comes out when my parent forces me to do something I don't want to do.

My 6 comes out when I get a new toy.My 7 comes out when I go to a bowling party or a skating party.my 8 comes out when i do something I regret and that really stupid.My 9 comes out when I play my games and I get new ones.My 10 comes out when I don't get along with someone.My 11 comes out when I get to do what I want when I want to.My twelve comes out when I see my family and friends that I haven't seen in a very long time.

This story makes me understand that I will always be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12and,13 and till the day I die I will use all of these ages to become a better person.That these ages will make me a better person as I grow into a man.I will follow these ages till the very end.This story theme is like make sure you use these ages to your advantage and all ways uses what you learned.