Mr. Kovach 4th and 5th period reading group discussion

Goodreads essay due 2-17-14

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Kovach (new)

Mr. Kovach (ckovachfranklinboeorg) | 25 comments Mod
PRE-ASSESSMENT FOR ANALYTICAL READING UNIT (for use in class only, not at home)

First, read the selection on the table at the front of the room. Read it CLOSELY, analyzing it for a clear theme or central idea. Underline or circle where there is TEXTUAL EVIDENCE that can support your claim of a theme or central idea. Put a STAR next to each character's name the first time you see it, and then put an ASTERISK next to something about each character that shows what kind of a person they are (smart, angry, caring, resourceful, etc.).

Next, WRITE AT LEAST THREE PARAGRAPHS to answer the following four questions. (Don't answer the questions directly - write three paragraphs that together answer them.) You will earn 25 points per complete paragraph, and more points for textual evidence and examples of writer's craft (as explained below).

1) State a clear idea or claim about a theme or central idea in the story.

2) Support your idea with at least three examples of textual evidence.

3) Explain how the evidence supports the theme or central idea.

4) Discuss the author's craft, including literary techniques (setting, mood, tone, symbolism, repetition, dialogue, imagery, figurative language).

REMEMBER THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT WRITING IS TO JUST WRITE! So just write lots and lots, talking about the things in the four questions above and you'll do fine. Write PARAGRAPHS, together as one essay - don't number your answers.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Feb 17, 2014 07:48AM) (new)

Michael | 25 comments 1.In the story eleven,the central idea is that when you turn a different age you still fell the same.I say this because in the story it said that the character didn't really feel the same.It said that he woke up and thought he would feel a difference.He dint feel different at all

2.my first textual evidence is that you don't feel eleven and don't think you are eleven.My other evidence is that you don't feel like you should be as smart as if you where eleven.

3.it upport this because it shows how feeling 11 doesn't feel like you are 11.you still feel like 10 or 9 or 8 and all the other ages.it also supports it because it shows that being 11 doesn't mean that you are still 5 or 9 or 3
4.he used lots of setting and tone in the part with the red sweater.also he used lots of language and dialogue in the story.also he used some clues to say that when you are 11 you still fell like 10 or 9 or 8 and all the other ages before

message 3: by Aaron (last edited Feb 17, 2014 01:39PM) (new)

Aaron | 23 comments In the story Eleven the theme is that when you become a year older it does not feel like you have changed at all. Some evidence in the story Eleven is when Rachel turned 11 she still felt the same as when she was ten. This is similar to when I had a birthday and it did not fell like a big change happened. I still felt the same. Something said in the story led me to this conclusion. She said, "You might say something stupid, and that is the part of you that is still ten." As I get a year older it feels like what is happening in the story.

The part of the story that Rachel felt sad and embarrassed about is when her teacher was saying that the red sweater was hers, but Rachel knew it was not hers. Another thing that made it more embarrassing was that all of the kids where laughing at her and everyone was looking at her. It was also her birthday and this happening made her have a bad day. Rachel should feel happy and think of all the fun things on her birthday, but instead she was sad.

The words, "You don't really feel a huge difference when you become an age older, "seem to be a central focal point of the story. The tone of the story seems unusually sad for a girl on her birthday. The red sweater became a sort of symbol and reminder of bad things. Rachel also kept repeating the same behavior and mannerism as when she was ten. Keep in mind she has only been eleven for a day. Sometimes no matter how old you get it is hard to escape your young memories whether good or bad.

message 4: by Fefeta (new)

Fefeta Lalonde (RougeofHeart) | 20 comments Teerana Ramjattan
Eleven
2/17/14

I believe that the theme is the "no matter how much you age, or what age you are... 200 or something. you will aways be 1... 2...3 all these ages will be inside you like bottle of soda thats been shaken up with the feels... ready to explode".
three examples..."because the way you grow old is kind of like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk. each year inside the next" "When your eleven your also 10,9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1"
"and when you wake up on you eleventh birthday, you expect to feel eleven but you don't.... you still feel ten"
this explains no matter how old you get you will away be 1,2,3,4,5 and ect.
THe tone was serious in the beginning and then it felt understanding because you realize that this has happened to you before.

message 5: by chris (new)

chris | 19 comments 1. i think the claim is that the story is about a girl that is about that has been given a sweater thats not hers and she hates it. also it her birth day she is eleven but she feels 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. but not eleven she feels sad because very one thinks she owns the ugly red sweater.

2.she said that she pushes the sweater to the edge of the desk so that it is hanging on the floor. also she feels sad because she cries in class because it was not hers. also she cries because her dad is not there

3. it supports it because she does cry because everyone thinks that it is hers. and it is ugly so everyone thinks she is ugly. and in the end the girl that owns is grabs it secretly. also i can support it because even the teacher made fun of her.

4. the setting is in school. it means that even though you are old does not mean that you cant cry like a kid. also it shows how well made the book is because it shows emotion. also it puts a image in my head abut a girl crying in her chair and the ugly red sweater.

message 6: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Galindo | 18 comments I read a story named "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros. It was about a girl that turned 11 but she feel turned 11. She felt like it was an ordinary day. Deep down inside she felt like she 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2, and 1 still. When she cries she feels like she's 3 again, when she sits on her mama's lap she feels 5. The main idea of the story is that no matter how old you are you will always feel like a little kid. Deep down inside you will always feel younger and younger.

I know that that's the main idea because everything the main character did reminded him as everything he did before he turned 11. For example, when he plays jokes on people he feels like he 10, when he cries he feels younger. No matter how old you get you will always need to cry, you will always need you parents to hug, and you will always need to remember that you always someone right there next you you. For example i know i will always need my family for anything and everything they are someone I will always need my family because growing they seen me through my worst and best.

In conclusion the main idea was that no matter how old you get you will always feel young because of every single memory that you have. When your scared your going to feel 5, when you cry your going to feel 3, when you pull pranks or jokes people your going to feel 10. Every memory will remind you of how old you used to be but those will be carried for the rest of your life no matter if they are sad or happy memories you remember them for a reason.

message 7: by Tatiana (last edited Feb 18, 2014 12:54PM) (new)

Tatiana | 14 comments In the story, Eleven By: Sandra Cisneros, Rachel realizes that no one cares. All she knows is crying. She just cries and cries and doesn't express her feelings to anyone, crying isn't always gonna make her feel better. All these emotions could lead to her doing bad things to herself.

In the story its her eleventh birthday and everything is going wrong. She feels as if no one cares about how hurt she is. The real, main idea is that nobody will ever care. But when she feeling this way she needs to find a friend.

message 8: by Barkisu (last edited Feb 17, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Barkisu | 20 comments In the story Eleven, Rachel doesn't speak up for herself because if she spoke up for herself after Sylvia Saldivar said that was her sweater but instead she didn't say anything at all. For example, " Whose sweater is this" says Mrs.Price everyone says " not me " but Sylvia Saldivar says " I think it belongs to Rachel. ".Another example , is when Rachel says " That not mines " in an silent voice but instead she should of had spoken up.The last example is that Rachel waits till actual Phyllis Lopez claims the sweater.
This evidence support that Rachel should always speak up if you know something wrong. I think that if Rachel did'nt speak up she would be wearing the sweater alla round school. Speaking up is something you have to do when you grow up or people will walk all over you. No matter how shy you are you always have to speak up or else peo[le wont listen to you and what you have to say.Therefore speak up for what you believe in.
The author craft was very well because the change of mood was very well done because Rachel started off upset, then sad, then mad ,and then normal when it just a combination of all it.

message 9: by Kaihree (new)

Kaihree | 18 comments 1. i think the claim is that the story is about a girl that is about that has been given a sweater thats not hers and she hates it. also it her birth day she is eleven but she feels 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. but not eleven she feels sad because very one thinks she owns the ugly red sweater.

2.she said that she pushes the sweater to the edge of the desk so that it is hanging on the floor. also she feels sad because she cries in class because it was not hers. also she cries because her dad is not there

3. it supports it because she does cry because everyone thinks that it is hers. and it is ugly so everyone thinks she is ugly. and in the end the girl that owns is grabs it secretly. also i can support it because even the teacher made fun of her.

4. the setting is in school. it means that even though you are old does not mean that you cant cry like a kid. also it shows how well made the book is because it shows emotion. also it puts a image in my head abut a girl crying in her chair and the ugly red sweater.

message 10: by Janally1220 (new)

Janally1220 | 21 comments n the story Eleven the claim is that when you get an age older it does not feel like you change an age. Some evidence is that it in the story Rachel said that it did not fell like she got older. This is similar when I get older and it does not fell like a big change happened. Another piece of evidence is that it said when you are eleven you might say something stupid that still is part of you that is still ten. So this story is similar to my life when I get older.

Some examples from the story is that it said when you are eleven it still fells like you are ten. So with this it shows that being 11 is good and

message 11: by Josue (last edited Feb 17, 2014 03:56PM) (new)

Josue | 11 comments I think that the main idea of this story is that you are a culmination of all your past ages.What this means is that you will know and do things done by your younger self.An example of this would be like knowing when to be mature which i think might be at 12 or 13."Like some days you might say something stupid, and that's the part of you that's still ten.".This shows that that part of you is there will occasionally show up.As will other parts of you.

I'm feeling sick inside,like the part of me that's three wants to come out of my eyes, only I squeeze them shut tight and bit down on my teeth real hard and try to remember today I am eleven,eleven.".This evidence supports the main idea since she is talking about how her crying is part of her being three but suppresses it."I'm eleven,ten,nine,eight,seven,six,five,four,three,two,and one,but i wish i was one hundred and two.".This supports the theme because she realizes she is combination of all her ages and experience but wishes be a hundred and two so she would know what to do.I sometimes wonder what some older version of me would deal with some situations since they might know what to do at the time.

The author is very discriptive with how she describes feelings.She also repeats things to get the point across and show emphasis.i also like how the auther show what the main charecter is thinking.I think it gives characters more depth.The tone feels like it could be angry but its also something else i can't realy describe.

message 12: by Ayessa14 (new)

Ayessa14 | 16 comments Eleven

In the story eleven,i think the theme of the story was,during you process of maturing(or growing up)you come across to a field of emotional feelings,and mostly those feelings are mix emotions,it's like a big waves of confusion,depression,and hurt that crash along the paths you tried to walk along..you feel lost in a sea of emotions,and that's mostly what people feel during their pace of puberty,and sometimes while still growing up,you stumble to different situations that sometimes you don't know how to handle, or even controlling it,just like the girl in the story,she's in that "state"of being lost in the pile of emotions,here are some examples that states what she's feeling right now,"the way you grow old is kind of like an onion or like rings inside a tree trunk or like my little wooden dolls that fit one inside the other,each year inside a next one"

message 13: by Coolster (last edited Feb 17, 2014 07:57AM) (new)

Coolster Freeman (TheBeast1239) | 15 comments In the story (Eleven) Rachel doesn't feel 11. She feels ten. She feels 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,and 1. And since is all those ages she acts some type of way. Like she sits on her mothers lap and five. <<<<< The Theme.

This is textual evidence is how she 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2, and 1. Another is how she feels ten who she's eleven. Another is how she says that you don't feel eleven until when you're about to turn twelve. Rachel is telling everyone about how she feels those ages. Think she is right.

message 14: by Jared (new)

Jared Michael Lugo (jaredlugo) | 27 comments In the story Eleven, Rachel doesn't stand up for herself. She does this because she is scared. She just cried and didn't say anything she just put on the sweater. The point of the story is to tell you that you have to stand up for yourself. The day she turned 11 she had different feelings and emotions that all came out.

For example she cried but she put the sweater on anyway. The sweater wasn't even hers anyway. She did the wrong thing of not telling the truth that the sweater wasn't even hers. She just acted like nothing happened and didn't admit that the sweater wasn't hers.

Rachel was right! But she didn't fight for herself like she was supposed to. Also the teacher realized she was wrong but she didn't admit it, like she was supposed to. Because of this she had a not fun birthday.

She is supposed to be happy on her birthday but she wasn't because of the little girl. The little girl made her day miserable and I feel bad for her. I think that is really mean to do to something like that to an iniscant girl on her birthday!!!!!!!