Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > TV and Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments I don't know if I asked this before, but is anyone watching any scifi shows? :)

Rachelle, Naughty Enabler (muze4u) | 3 comments I am loving Almost Human. I can't wait for season 2 of Defiance to start. I really loved that show.

message 3: by Riley (new)

Riley (ramore) | 46 comments Lost Girl is pretty entertaining! I am also waiting for season two of Defiance.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh, I love Almost Human! It's so cute and funny. I am also waiting for the second episode of The After to release. *grumble* Oh, and Star-Crossed premieres this Monday on the CW (don't judge me, LOL)! I'm already watching Tomorrow People.

message 5: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I like Almost Human, Orphan Black, Continuum, and Falling Skies. Course none are on now so I'm reading and doing my own marathons of Stargate Atlantis and the Resident Evil movies because the former I don't completely remember and the latter I haven't seen all of.

And today I actually wrote three scenes of a story I probably will never finish.

Never heard of The After or Star-Crossed but I'll look for them. Is Tomorrow People at all like the kids' show that used to be on?

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh, I'm waiting for Falling Skies to come back on! Have you seen BSG, Anna? I didn't know you were writing, that's cool! The beginning is the hardest. Tomorrow People is kind of Arrow-ish. Tomorrow People are an advanced species, there's no space or aliens and Jedikiah, the villain, is the protagonist's uncle and more morally ambiguous. He heads a gov organization that hunts Tomorrow People. I can tell you the effects are a lot better! LOL. The storylines are also probably more mature and sexier (but not that much, LOL).

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 10 comments Helix is good!
Bitten is okay.
Love Almost Human and Lost Girl.

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Loving Bitten. I follow LG, but I hope it gets more exciting soon. It's all about Bo's love squares, LOL. I have heard about Helix, planning to try it sometime!

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 10 comments new_user wrote: "Loving Bitten. I follow LG, but I hope it gets more exciting soon. It's all about Bo's love squares, LOL. I have heard about Helix, planning to try it sometime!"

Yes, Lost Girl is somewhat confusing right now. I'm lost lol

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Jane wrote: "Yes, Lost Girl is somewhat confusing right now. I'm lost lol "

I think I'm watching for Dyson, Kenzie and Hale, LOL. I saw the Star Crossed premiere! Good stuff! It reminded me of Roswell. <3

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Doe | 10 comments new_user wrote: "Jane wrote: "Yes, Lost Girl is somewhat confusing right now. I'm lost lol "

I think I'm watching for Dyson, Kenzie and Hale, LOL. I saw the Star Crossed premiere! Good stuff! It reminded me of Ros..."

That's what I thought about Star Crossed it had the same feel to it when I saw the commercial.

Anyone watching Intelligence? I like it.

message 12: by Arline (new)

Arline (Arline_Todd) | 25 comments I really like Intelligence. It's a new favorite with me. Also like Almost Human.

message 13: by Ameliacullen1 (new)

Ameliacullen1 | 5 comments Arline wrote: "I really like Intelligence. It's a new favorite with me. Also like Almost Human."

I like Intelligence as well. I haven't had a chance to watch Almost Human yet. I need to see if they are available On Demand so I can catch up.

message 14: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments Has anyone been following Killjoys or Dark Matter on Syfy? Enjoying both shows.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments I've been watching Dark Matter, which is pretty good so far. Killjoys looks good from the commercials but isn't it the 2nd season? I'd have to do a catch-up first.

message 16: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I've been watching Dark Matter, which is pretty good so far. Killjoys looks good from the commercials but isn't it the 2nd season? I'd have to do a catch-up first."

Killjoys started on June 19, 2015 and I believe the 10th (and last) episode of the season will air this Friday. Honestly, I like Killjoys even better than Dark Matter. Very good world-building and cool futuristic toys for a relatively inexpensive sci-fi, plus Dutch defines kick-a** woman. Mad skills, but sexy and vulnerable at times, too.

message 17: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jc_hay) | 30 comments I haven't even heard if we're getting a second season of Killjoys. I hope so, though, because it's my favorite of the new crop of SF television series.

message 18: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments J.C. wrote: "I haven't even heard if we're getting a second season of Killjoys. I hope so, though, because it's my favorite of the new crop of SF television series."

I really hope it is back for a second season, too!

They gave Extant a second season, and it has turned schizophrenic on the plot. Plus killed off or got rid of main characters without explanation. Ugh.

message 19: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments For those following the Killjoys discussion - on Aug. 20 SFR author, blogger and columnist Veronica Scott posted her homage regarding this fun Syfy series. Within her blog is a link to the USA Today Happily Ever After interview that she did with Killjoys creator Michelle Lovretta. Thanks for sharing, Ms. Scott!

https://veronicascott.wordpress.com/t...

message 20: by AnnaM (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:49AM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Hi! Boy, I've been out of this thread a long time. LOL.

BSG, yes. I watched all of the original and the first couple of years of the reboot. I liked a female Starbuck a lot more than I expected to.

Writing, well, off and on. :-)

Currently, I really like Killjoys, Dark Matter, Defiance, Orphan Black, Dr. Who, Continuum, Falling Skies, and I'm Netflixing Jericho.

I'm bummed about the axing of Almost Human, and Continuum and Falling Skies. But I'm happy that maybe they'll give us a satsifactory resolution instead of cliffhangers.

I, too, was surprised that I like Killjoys more than Dark Matter. DM is the only reason I turned Skiffy (SYFY) back on. Their track record over the years makes me dislike them to the point where I never "surf" their channel. The fact that they now have a decent SciFi Friday makes me wonder if they got rid of the two upper management folks who said they didn't even like science fiction back when they axed Farscape.

Anyway, I really like the characters and situation on Dark Matter. Two would make the perfect heroine in a novel, though I don't really think any of the crew are worthy heroes for her.

Killjoys--I love the interactions between the characters though I don't like Dutch as much as Two on DM. I do like John a lot. And I really like the world. Plus, it's good to see so many Stargate Atlantis alumni in the show.

Orphan Black is just awesome. It's so different that I never know what to expect. Love all the characters.

message 21: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments You know what we all should do, though? Write the stations airing/making the shows we like and tell them we like them so they don't cancel all the SFR. Again.

I keep remembering a letter to the editor for Stargate Magazine about 20 years ago when Earth 2 (another SFR) was canceled. The person complained there weren't enough stories about the show and hinted that added to the lack of viewers. The editor basically said, 'No one told us they liked it until it was gone.' And they didn't do many stories on shows that no one liked. So, emailing, snailmailing, tweeting now, they all really do help a bit.

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments I loved Earth 2! I was so bummed with that was cancelled. Also loved Firefly and couldn't figure out why people weren't watching it either.

Great idea Anna. I do that all the time because I'm sure stations and/or authors and/or publisher hear complaints more than praises so if I love something, I try my hardest to let them know. (Although this didn't work with Arrested Development or Longmire - even though Netflix did pick Longmire up.)

message 23: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments I haven't been watching much that needs concentration because I recently went back to school.

But I still love the old Star Trek Next Generation show. Introduced that to my daughter and she loves it now.

I loved Stargate. I didn't finish that show up, I should find where I left off and get back to that one.

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments So in love with Extant, but I'm only on the fourth episode of season two. I like this feisty Molly. Not to mention the cop. ;) I have to catch up on Falling Skies too. I haven't started the fifth season yet.

message 25: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I loved Earth 2! I was so bummed with that was cancelled. Also loved Firefly and couldn't figure out why people weren't watching it either.

Great idea Anna. I do that all the time because I'm s..."

Earth2 and Firefly were excellent. I tend to send praise to many companies. LOL.

message 26: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I saw an ep of Extant and it looked really good. But I was already behind, because I usually only turn the tv on for shows I know about and I keep forgetting when that was on.

I did watch The 100 and liked it, though there's not much R in it, compared to the books.

message 27: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments I'm caught up with Extant finally but I think the plotline has gone schizophrenic this year. Too many directions and characterization is suffering.

message 28: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I'll catch up with Extant sometime. I'm struggling to keep up with the shows I'm already watching, lol.

message 29: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments I like to wait until a show has been on several season and maybe even already done. Then I can binge watch on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, and then weep when and go through withdrawals when I finish the series.

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott | 521 comments Mod
Killjoys on SyFy was excellent. Hoping it gets renewed for a second season...

message 31: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Veronica, I hope so too after how they left it.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments I've never seen Earth2. Is that a US show?

message 33: by AnnaM (last edited Aug 29, 2015 06:04PM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Yes, it was. Let's see, I was a newlywed so 20 years ago. It had Clancy Brown in it, occasionally had Tim Burton (Curry not Burton. Oops.) in it, and several others that went on to many other shows. I loved it. NBC, I think it was, screwed it over by pre-empting a lot without notice, and moving it to different time slots a lot. Killed it quickly with a massive cliffhanger, but it was still a good one to watch up to that last moment.

message 34: by KJ (new)

KJ Van Houten | 237 comments Mod
I loved Earth 2! And it was Tim Curry in it not Burton.

message 35: by KJ (new)

KJ Van Houten | 237 comments Mod
Oops didn't mean to end my post there! I sometimes think me liking a show equates to a kiss of death! E2, Almost Human, Terra Nova, and Firefly are just a few examples. I'm almost afraid to admit that I like Dark Matter! Haven't had a chance to watch Killjoys yet but it's on my need to watch list, hope it will be streaming somewhere after this week so I can catch up on it.

message 36: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments LOL. Curry! Yes. I could see his face and couldn't remember the last name. Sorry!

Really liked Almost Human. Terra Nova was okay. Don't know why I didn't totally get into it. Killjoys is really good. I liked Defiance and the series finale was sad, to me, but not for the characters.

I saw a good canceled show on Netflix called Outcasts. And another that started slowly but I really enjoyed after a few eps called Survivors. The pilot had Martha from Dr. Who in it.

message 37: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Thanks, Anna! Oh, man, I was disappointed Almost Human was canceled too. I was really curious to see where it went. I never saw Outcasts! That sounds like it could have been awesome. Did anyone see The After?

message 38: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments You're welcome. I found Outcasts on Netflix. Survivors too. Never heard of The After but I will see if I can find it.

message 39: by Veronica (new)

Killjoys and Dark Matter were both renewed for a second season today. Ten episodes for Killjoys and 13 for Dark Matter. Yay!

message 40: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments Great news about Killjoys and Dark Matter.

message 41: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jc_hay) | 30 comments Yay! So glad to hear we're getting more Killjoys!

message 42: by J.C. (new)

message 43: by J.C. (new)

message 44: by J.C. (new)

message 45: by Arline (new)

Arline (Arline_Todd) | 25 comments For anyone looking for a really great TV series, try "Fringe."

message 46: by Shirl (new)

Shirl Anders (shirlanders) | 1 comments I think The Last Ship qualifies as a sci fi rom. It is light on the romance but I keep hoping. Love The 100.

message 47: by Veronica (new)

I was really enjoying The Last Ship and then it got SO political and deeply involved with The Immunes...so I gave it up for a few episodes there, but now I'm back. It got renewed for a 3rd season.

message 48: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments I like The Last Ship, but have some episodes to catch up on. Characters really fade in and out, though. I keep hoping for something between Dr. Scott and Tex.

message 49: by Veronica (new)

I was kinda hoping she and Tex would get together and leave the Ship at one point but I have the feeling her romantic arc is supposed to be with the Captain. Poor Tex, if so! Good point re the characters fading in and out...

message 50: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments Veronica wrote: "I was kinda hoping she and Tex would get together and leave the Ship at one point but I have the feeling her romantic arc is supposed to be with the Captain. Poor Tex, if so! Good point re the char..."

Cap would have to get off the ship...no fraternization. And he looks like a stickler for the rules. Tex, now, as Mr. Mercenary he can ignore ship rules....

« previous 1 3