Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Manufacturing quality of Harper Voyager (Uk) SF&F Classics?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joaquin (new)

Joaquin Garza | 27 comments A very technical question (just posted the same on the sword and laser)...

I'm an extremely picky reader when it comes to choosing editions. I won't read a book unless I'm sure there is a good edition to keep after reading it on the kindle (I always get a nice hardcover copy when I like the book).

This question is about this new clothbound collection by Harper Voyager (more info here: http://harpervoyagerbooks.com/2013/01...)

Pretty sturdy selection of modern fantasy schools. I have almost a finger on the 'buy' button on the Book Depository, but I'm being deterred by past experiences regarding the manufacturing quality of either Harper Collins or books printed in the Uk.

Does anybody have any of these books (The Hobbit, Assassin Apprentice, Magician, The Once and Future King, Game of Thrones)on this edition? If so, please tell me about the manufacturing quality... Are these editions sewn? Does the paper look like it's going yellow after a couple of years?

Thanks!

message 2: by Paulfozz (last edited Feb 13, 2014 10:29PM) (new)

Paulfozz I have the hardback edition of The Hobbit, but there are a few - the edition I have (ISBN 9780261103283) is glued rather than stitched. It's fair quality, not quite as good as the 50th Anniversary editions of the Lord of the Rings books (which are solid, though not exceptional, with better paper [yet to show signs of any yellowing] and stitched bindings). I've not owned the Hobbit for long so cannot comment on whether the paper will yellow.

You might want to take a look at the Folio Society and see if they produce any of the books you're interested in as their editions are very high quality, albeit of a high price and not the original publisher if that is important to you. Their edition of the Hobbit looks very nice and their editions are certainly made to last.

message 3: by Joaquin (last edited Feb 14, 2014 10:22AM) (new)

Joaquin Garza | 27 comments Paulfozz wrote: "I have the hardback edition of The Hobbit, but there are a few - the edition I have (ISBN 9780261103283) is glued rather than stitched. It's fair quality, not quite as good as the 50th Anniversary ..."

Yes, given the price point that was just what I was thinking about... clothbound but not sewn, no mulled cloth in the spine. Just like those Penguin Clothbound Classics and the Penguin Drop Caps... the big incognita is the quality of the paper. I have horror stories about the paper they use for printing at Clays-St Ives

The Folio Society has always been a tentation for me, haha... however, I would need to spend £ 150 in a single shot for making the 'get the LOTR boxset free with the purchase of four other books'. Their edition of The Once and Future King is gorgeous.

However, the book I was looking for is Assassin's Apprentice. This voyager edition is the only hardback edition I know about. In the US it was published directly in paperback.

message 4: by Paulfozz (last edited Feb 14, 2014 12:11PM) (new)

Paulfozz I think they've stopped those introductory offers for good now unfortunately - I had intended to take one up last summer but they canned them the week I decided finally that I was going to place my order. I stick to the secondhand market for them as their books stay in very good condition unless they are abused.

I do wish I'd bought their edition of the Hobbit, though the Harper one is adequate. You're right that their fiction range is limited, certain in terms of sci-fi and fantasy. Most of their books I have are history.