What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. american YA series, late 80s/early 90s.Star/meteor falls to earth and splits giving the children powers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aoife (new)

Aoife Webb | 5 comments Hello!
I'm trying to find a book I read in the late 80s/early 90s. It was set in america or maybe canada, part of a series, with, as far as I remember, a predominantly red cover. A star/meteor fell to earth and split sending some power into the bodies of a group of children born at the moment. All of the children grow up strange with various abilities or problems. The two I remember was a girl who kept getting fatter and fatter and one boy who could see patterns and angles which he used to cheat at pool. They are drawn together and that's as much as I remember! I really enjoyed it but never got to read the rest of the series. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Tathariell (new)

Tathariell | 170 comments "Scorpion Shards" by Neal Shusterman. Sorry, I don't know how to make the link on my phone.

message 3: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 859 comments I don't think you can Willow

Scorpion Shards for the click.

message 4: by Edward (new)

Edward | 43 comments Rising Stars is a 24-issue comic book limited series by J. Michael Straczynski about 113 people (called "Specials") born with special abilities following the appearance of a mysterious light in the sky above Pederson, Illinois. The series explores how society may react to the advent of superpowers, and how those who are Specials may react towards society and each other. Rising Stars was one of the first comics produced under Straczynski's own Joe's Comics imprint for Top Cow Productions.

message 5: by Railyn (last edited Feb 03, 2015 06:53AM) (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I'm 99% sure it's not it, because they got powers when they were older instead of born, but I'll mention it anyway.

There were 3 books in this series that I know of. I don't believe any more came out. Max didn't get fatter, but he would get taller and larger. It was kind/of odd.

Hendra's Book
Sal's Book
Max's Book

message 6: by Edward (new)

Edward | 43 comments So knowing it's that series this question is solved?

message 7: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments You have to wait for the poster to respond. I'm not familiar with the series, but she didn't say it was a comic book, and she said late 80's/early 90's. That series started in 1999. Now she could have her timeframe mixed and that could be it, but the poster has to confirm before it's marked "solved".

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Aoife, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Was it anything suggested above?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Aoife, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Was it anything suggested above?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.