11/22/63 11/22/63 discussion

Which book is better?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roberto (new) - added it

Roberto Acero This or Different Seasons?

Shaun Bossio Haven't read Different Seasons, but I really loved this book. The first person narrative weirded me out a bit at first, but it was very well done. I think it's the best King since The Dark Tower, though I haven't read Under the Dome yet either.

Pickle different seasons by a country mile.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike Different Seasons with both Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me, called the Body in the book became well loved movies. It is hard to compare a book of short stories or novellas to a book which is one story, personally I enjoyed both books very much. But if I have to choose I would choose Different Seasons.

Steven I really enjoyed this book and thought it was a really fun read. Who hasn't ever thought about how they would like to go back in time and redo a wrong whether it was in their life or someone else?

message 6: by Arsa (last edited Jun 16, 2014 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arsa Louna wrong discussion , we cannot compare betwenn two "uncomparables" , one is a very long single story, and the other is a collection of 4 different , unrelated novellas...but if you ask me what did you enjoy more 11/22/1963 or shawshank redemption i would chose the latter

Kathy Kattenburg I loved this book. I thought it was the nearest to perfect book I've ever read. I'm curious, though, about what Shaun said. Why did the book's being written in the first person feel weird to you? Lots of novels have a first person pov. It's not at all uncommon.

Aurora Haven't read Different Seasons. Loved this book since it deals with history - i haven't read Stephen King in a while because his books were giving me nightmares. This one was very suspenseful (and no nightmares). Great read!

Anna Moore My husband isn't "into" Stephen King books (he's more of a John Grisham and historical non-fiction reader) but he enjoyed 11/22/63.

Frenetic Geek Can't compare the two. Of King's other novels, I would choose The Dead Zone.

Brian That is comapring Apples to Oranges. Different seasons, is 4 different stories, all vastly different, and 11/22/63 is a novel. I have never read Different season, but The body - movie stand by me : Shawshank Redemption, apt pupil, and Breathing lessons. From what I have read about them, all are very interesting reads. I have read 11/22/63 and it is probably my favorite book of steven King's (that I have read) if not the favorite book I have ever read. This is a win win situation for you.

Debbie 11/22/63 is my favorite book of all time. But, I also loved Different Seasons.

message 13: by Don (new) - rated it 5 stars

Don Frenetic Geek wrote: "Can't compare the two. Of King's other novels, I would choose The Dead Zone."

You are right - Dead Zone was my favorite - until I just read Dr. Sleep - sequal to The Shining - try it.

message 14: by Larry (last edited Apr 13, 2014 06:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Larry Moniz Steven wrote: "I really enjoyed this book and thought it was a really fun read. Who hasn't ever thought about how they would like to go back in time and redo a wrong whether it was in their life or someone else?"

Lots of people have written time travel books, myself included. Unfortunately, King's book seemed, to me at least,tobe either constructed to meet a contract requirement of a ploy for some quick cash. It was, in essence, bad Harry Turtledove. For many years I devours all I could get by King, but about the time of his Dark Tower series, his writing began to seriously slip. My last read by him was 11/22/63. As a very young journalist I covered the assassination from Hyanissport. King's rendition was the last book of his I've read, and it will remain so. Unfortunately, his writing no longer interests me.

message 15: by Beth S. (last edited Jun 16, 2014 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth S. This is the best book I have ever read and only the second SK book (after Carrie). So well done.....loved the plot and loved the characters. Love time travel books especially.

message 16: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy Different seasons,an anthology made up of 4 very good stories.I thought 11/22/63 was awful

Kandice I think your question is like asking someone to compare apples and oranges. I loved them both, but they are very, very different types of narrative.

message 18: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Andy, if 11/22/63 is so awful perhaps you could tell us why?????

If you do then I'll tell 'ya why I liked it although truth be told, not all my book group pals would agree.

message 19: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy ok awful was a bit harsh.I got frustrated by the longwinded middle section which seemed to be more about life and love in 1950's america,than the story itself.