THE Group for Authors! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Discussion > It’s real special!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It’s real special how GoodReads supports readers trashing authors books that they’ve never read!
Real special.
Yup!

message 2: by Naghilia (new)

Naghilia Desravines | 7 comments I think it is wrong for someone to give a bad comment on a book that they've never read. But people will do it just for the fun of it, believe on yourself and ignore the haters.

message 3: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Silly question. How do you know they haven't read it? And reading part of it does count, at least in my opinion.

message 4: by Angel (last edited Feb 13, 2014 12:27PM) (new)

Angel Martinez (angelmartinez) | 13 comments There are "reviewers" who will leave a rating and "review" stating "I will never read this book because of X, Y or Z"

The reviewer specifically tells you "I have not now nor do I ever intend to read this book"

message 5: by Naghilia (new)

Naghilia Desravines | 7 comments I think as a writer enjoy, the bad comment as much as you love good comments. Use the bad to make you stronger and the good to keep on writing.

message 6: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Well, you can safely ignore those, because everyone else will, since they will sensibly figure that you annoyed the reviewer in some way, or the reviewer objects to content.

message 7: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) To some people, rating a book 1 star is not trashing, but their personal filing system, which is considered to be an acceptable use of the rating system due to unfortunate wording by Goodreads.

It would be great if people created a No Interest shelf instead, since the word "ratings" has a universal meaning, but I'm afraid the one star "notes to self" are here to stay.

message 8: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments I don't, but I can understand why some people do it, and not only do I think it's here to stay, it's much easier than using a shelf (faster and easier to see). A simple and easy "no-interest" button would solve the problem, but one-starring a book for any reason isn't "trashing" it.

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 165 comments If anything, GR has become biased towards authors with their new marketing campaigns...

message 10: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments James wrote: "It’s real special how GoodReads supports readers trashing authors books that they’ve never read!
Real special.
Yup!"

You have to be more specific. What do you consider trashing, and how is GR supporting readers?

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Byrne | 29 comments The fact that "Twilight" sells is a horror story it's self..... I'm in stiches every time a BRAIN DEAD thing talks about it! Even "James Howe's, Bunnicula" Hid from the sun.... Like his life depends on it!
I met Mr. James Howe in fall 2001 in NY. He gave me his autograph...
The Watcher, is such a page tuner.
I do love Emma Holly. She is a sweet twist combo of Rice/Steel. She is old school vampire... NOT this BS crap.... And I loved "Buffy, the vampire slayer" from the mid 80's and to the TV show into the 90's. Buffy could kick Eddie's worthles but! (The losser who thinks that he is a vampire...) I just can not stop laughing.....

message 12: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Linda wrote: "I think, in just my personal humble opinion as an author, that it's somehow a bit on the rude side for an author to say readers aren't entitled to express their opinions on what reading material th..."

Does there have to be a meltdown everyday? Couldn't we go two, or even three, days without one?

message 13: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: "Does there have to be a meltdown everyday? Couldn't we go two, or even three, days without one?"

Don't worry. I think James just countered the horrible 1-star ratings by rating his own books with 5-star ratings. So it all evens out...

message 14: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Martyn V. wrote: "Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: "Does there have to be a meltdown everyday? Couldn't we go two, or even three, days without one?"

Don't worry. I think James just count..."

The emotion is more irritated dismayed exasperated" than "worried." But thanks.

It's like a freaking broken record.

message 15: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: "It's like a freaking broken record."

Well, you know what happens when you put on a broken record, right? Eventually, your needle will break...

message 16: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments ThreeRs (Got Logic?) wrote: "James has been throwing temper tantrums on GRs for two days straight now."

I have a three-year old daughter, she had temper tantrums too. I just showed her that her tantrum wouldn't work, no matter how hard she screamed. She got the message in ten minutes, but with some toddlers it takes a little longer.

:)

message 17: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Linda wrote: "I think James is hurting my image."

Your image is still lovely. :)

message 18: by Christine PNW (last edited Feb 13, 2014 01:45PM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) ThreeRs (Got Logic?) wrote: "I think it's "real special" that an "author" gets to trounce around like a two year old who desperately needs a nap, but readers aren't allowed to talk about it when we shelve his books.

James has..."

Someone should probably just direct him to the-site-that-must-not-be-named and be done with it. He can go whinge over there, and they will give his ego the hot stone massage that it so desperately desires.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Naghilia wrote: "I think it is wrong for someone to give a bad comment on a book that they've never read. But people will do it just for the fun of it, believe on yourself and ignore the haters."

It was not a comment, just a blanket 1 star rating of all three of my books. The Kicker? She didn’t read my latest book. I know. I bought ALL of the copies sold.

GoodReads does nothing.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

D.C. wrote: "Silly question. How do you know they haven't read it? And reading part of it does count, at least in my opinion."

I know because I bought EVERYONE of the copies sold so far.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Edward wrote: "To some people, rating a book 1 star is not trashing, but their personal filing system, which is considered to be an acceptable use of the rating system due to unfortunate wording by Goodreads.

It..."

Why?
It’s much more efficient to create a Word or Excel page for authors you don’t want to read, then just search before you buy. Posting a public shelf is simply spite.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Nenia wrote: "If anything, GR has become biased towards authors with their new marketing campaigns..."

Sure. Right. Ye-up.

Wanna buy a bridge?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

So, none of the authors here will have a problem with 10, 20 or more 1 star reviews on all of their books, and snarky insulting comments on everyone of their posts?
Sure
Ye-up.

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex (ucbstirling) | 140 comments It looks like this thread has served it's purpose, so I'm going to close it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.