Ask Philippa Gregory discussion

Featured Author Chat - 2014 > Historical Writing

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 1 comments Hi Phillipa, I'm a great fan of your historical fiction. I especially loved the Virgin Queen! I was wondering if there would be a follow on from that? Or a television series perhaps? :)

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 1 comments After you have conducted wnd organized you research, how do you envision your characters to give them life? How do you formulate historical research into a 3 dimensional person and give them voice? Do you like to write in a quiet space? How do compose your research into a draft? BTW my library is filled with a Philippa Gregory shelf. Thank you.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela wood (m217660) | 2 comments I love your books! What new book are you working on now?

message 4: by Dany (new)

Dany (danyleigh) | 1 comments I love your books and their historical aspects. I'm wondering how you get your ideas for your books, and after that how you go about doing your research. Do you research for a long time before you start your writing process? Or do you research as you write?

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Kilgore deane | 1 comments Hello Phillipa, I have learned so much about the historical time periods in your books. It's a vast wealth of knowledge along with a great story. I am not a writer except for myself. I have not had any classes etc. What would you suggest I do to start writing on a professional basis? Thanks for you time!

message 6: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 1 comments I was wondering what u are working on now!! I love your books

message 7: by Madeline (new)

Madeline (madelinemaddy) | 2 comments Have you read, Down the Common, about the day to day life for a year of a woman in a medieval village? It is grubby, revolting, happy and sad. These people did not know where they lived and that there were even kings in the world. I wonder how you would handle such a topic about people who were not famous, yet their lives were fascinating as well. Would you and could you write a book around people like this?

message 8: by Quan (new)

Quan | 1 comments When I meet another avid reader, I always ask if they have read "The Other Boleyn Girl". After lending it out, they always come back for more of your books and it's instant friendship from there. I truly love the amount of research you put into each book...it's one of the reasons why I admire your writing. It caters to my historical fiction interest. I have a collection of your books in my library. Thank you so much for continuing to write more fantastic books!

message 9: by Madeline (new)

Madeline (madelinemaddy) | 2 comments The Other Boleyn Girl is my favorite book by Philippa Gregory and I would guess of many others, as well!

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 1 comments Though I have never been a very astute student of history, I love historical fiction. It seems to add a necessary dimension to history, to breathe life into the dry facts and dates and names. I would like to know where you conduct the research for your books about the English royal families. Do you have access to any private papers or do you rely upon public documents?

message 11: by Gill (new)

Gill | 3 comments Have you thought of adding a book with Henry Fitzroy, son of Henry VIII and Elizabeth Blount, as the central character? Or even a speculative fiction, where he marries Blount and makes Henry Fitzroy his heir?

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah Walentosky | 1 comments I am just starting on your "White Queen" series, and I have two questions for you?
-Why didn't you include Margaret of Anjou in the series?
-Have you ever thought of doing a story on Lady Jane Grey?

message 13: by C. (new)

C. Harmon | 2 comments Just found out that STARZ has agreed to air the sequel series to the White Queen that was a huge success for the channel. The White Princess will center on England’s War of the Roses as told from the female perspective. The story, which is set in 1485, follows the rise of the House of Tudor and the rocky marriage between Princess Elizabeth of York and King Henry Tudor. When rumors arise that Elizabeth's long-lost brother Prince Richard is alive and hoping to take back the throne, she must choose a side. I can not wait to see it.

message 14: by May (new)

May (mayzie) | 2 comments Oooh! I can't wait!!!

message 15: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Price | 1 comments That's exciting and welcome news about STARZ planning to air a new mini series about The White Princess. It was The White Queen mini series that brought my attention to Phillippa Gregory's body of work, and of course, I HAD to read all the Cousins' War series as well as The Women of the Cousins' War. Thanks for sharing the news... Now the wait for the mini series begins!