YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Archived > What makes a story YA?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W.I. (new)

W.I. I. Eganson | 2 comments I guess I never really thought about this when I was a reader, but now that I am also writing, I am wondering what kinds of things turn an apocalyptic or dystopian novel YA?

Are there objective criteria like no profanity or overly sexual or violent scenes, are there particular themes that are considered to be YA, or is it just one of those "I'll know it when I see it" things?

message 2: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) I've been thinking about this a lot myself, mainly because some of my reviewers have said my newest book is too gritty to be YA. While my main characters are in the YA age range, some of the violence in the book has been deemed to be more mature.

message 3: by W.I. (new)

W.I. I. Eganson | 2 comments Do you think it's the mere presence of violence that takes it out of the YA genre, the nature of it (e.g., fist fights vs gang shooting), or how graphically the violence is described?

message 4: by Curran (last edited Feb 27, 2014 07:40PM) (new)

Curran | 4 comments W. wrote: "Do you think it's the mere presence of violence that takes it out of the YA genre, the nature of it (e.g., fist fights vs gang shooting), or how graphically the violence is described?"

There are plenty of YA books...thinking Hunger Games for example, that have violence. I think it's probably just how graphic the violence is. I often wonder whether my novel The Sity is YA. Like you, my leads are YA, but I think the content is too mature, so I've never put it in that category.

To both of you, your books sound interesting btw!

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie Snow | 1 comments I was about to agree that it has to do with how graphic the violence or sex is, but good point and thank you for reminding me how violent the Hunger Games was. Kids as young as 12 being thrown into an arena to hunt each other and kill by any means possible had a shock value on its own, let alone being trained for the event, and challenged with horrifying obstacles (when the action was getting too dull for the cheering spectators). Don't get me wrong - loved the books!
Maybe I'll have to check out The Sity and Jade's book to see what's considered walking the line. :-)
I do believe it has to do with the way things like violence/sex are presented/described, but YA also seems to be used in the marketing sense as a tag for whatever is popular and appealing to the YA crowd (and not surprising, they resonate with characters in their age range).

YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sity (other topics)