Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
This topic is about The Final Empire
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) / Overall Discussion / **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Ooh, we have no discussion thread for this yet??

Well, to put it simply: I loved it.

I read it quite slowly - it's a big book but considering how much I enjoyed it, it took me a little while. At first I wasn't totally enthralled, I was enjoying it but it wasn't quite good enough. Vin wasn't much of a character. But then as she got to use and train with her powers - wow. I absolutely LOVED the descriptions of the Push and Pull, the idea of flying around the city with Mistborn powers, the blue lines weaving in and out, around and around.

And I was completely and utterly shocked when Kelsier was killed - and so quickly and suddenly! But by that point Vin had really grown as a character and I definitely feel she is ready to take over. I do wonder what will happen with her relationship with Elend though (and also why she was attracted to him??).

But overall: amazing!

Nara (greengp01) I loved this book too!
I hesitate to comment on the events that happened in this book though because I'm kind of binge reading the series and the lines have blurred between them and I'm not quite sure which events happened in which book and stuff. But I thought the idea of using metals to fuel magic was really creative :)
Kelsier's death was definitely a curveball! When it happened I was like D:

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Do you get her interest in Elend? I thought maybe he'd be like the Scarlet Pimpernel: foppish fake persona, but actually he's a super cool badass underneath who goes round saving people. But no - he was just a bit of a fop but some big ideas!

Nara (greengp01) That issue is addressed in book 2! And there are quite a few surprising developments with Elend's character as well :)

message 5: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooh good to hear! I am so tempted to buy book 2 already =/

Nara (greengp01) Do itttt hahaha :P

message 7: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new) - rated it 5 stars

Freya (flamecat) | 1777 comments Mod
Nara wrote: "That issue is addressed in book 2! And there are quite a few surprising developments with Elend's character as well :)"

Yes Rinn! read it! :D I need to get around to book three now :D

message 8: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new) - rated it 5 stars

Freya (flamecat) | 1777 comments Mod
I found the first bit of the book quite slow too, and likewise with the second book though it is really good :) They do pick up though and I find myself forgetting everything to read the last couple hundred pages. I think Sanderson I particularly good at hitting you in the emotions pretty hard!

message 9: by Tjalle (last edited Feb 15, 2014 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tjalle | 2 comments Great Book. Read it quite a while ago but this made me appreciate Brandon Sanderson work a whole lot more.

The building of the world is done very well. The type of magic and how it is used made me want to read all Mistborn novels.

message 10: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
Yeah, I love the magic system in use. It's a pretty impressive book overall but i just feel it didn't quite reach 5 stars for me, almost, but not quite. I'm definitely hooked though, i'd vote for a series read of this as i'm probably gonna read the following books later this year.

This is the book I wished 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' would have been.

message 11: by Trillian (last edited Feb 17, 2014 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trillian | 68 comments Finally I can read the posts here in this thread. Since it's not spoilerfree I didn't want to take a look :)

I have never read anything by Sanderson so far, so I was looking forward to this book. The beginning was good, but it wasn't something special. But that changed fairly quickly. From chapter to chapter or even page to page the story became more and more gripping. At the beginning I thought that Vin was kind of an annoying character, with all the mistrust and wariness. But I became fond of her and I think she developed to an interesting protagonist.

The most shocking part was Kelsier's death. I loved his character and now there is a big hole in the next books. Nevertheless I think I'll have to continue with the second book as soon as possible - maybe even tonight :)

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

I felt the same about Vin too - she was kind of boring but then suddenly her powers made her a lot more interesting, haha. And as she got to know the gang, she opened up more to them - and also to the reader. So it was really interesting comparing Vin at the start to Vin at the end.

message 13: by Trillian (last edited Feb 17, 2014 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trillian | 68 comments So I'm not the only one who had problems with Vin at the beginning, that's reassuring. Being a mistborn and fitting into the new group started a development that really made her more interesting. I'm looking forward to finding out how she will be in the next book and I hope she doesn't get back to her old self - after Kelsier "leaving" her too etc.

message 14: by Abi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abi Killen | 66 comments I an new to Sandersons work and I absolutely loved this book. I may already have acquired the next couple of books... Sorry bank account.

I loved that it was a totally different take on magic with the metals needed and everything and also the potential for other powers by discovering new alloys. It gave so much scope for what was possible for a mist born with access to all 8 which made the fights so impressive.

I liked Vin from the start and was impressed by the character development. Kelsier I started off liking him but became less attached to him towards the end. Can't really put my finger on why but I definitely didn't want him killed off.
I also wasn't convinced as to why she liked Elend but assumed it was because he ignored her but if it's in the second book I better get reading! I'm also curious to find out why Vin is naturally stronger than most.

Scott (thekeeblertree) Mistborn was my first introduction to mr. sanderson's work, and I have to say it was a great introduction. For me, the book took a while to get into. The magic and story was interesting from the get go, but I found myself getting confused at the use of magic and wasn't close with the characters immediately, especially Vin. All that changed when Vin and Kiesler started their training, and the group started coming together more. One of my favorite characters ended up being Breeze for his quips and general attitude throughout the book.

The end was very shocking, satisfying and sad all rolled up into one. Think it's pretty amazing how Sanderson was able to make a completely sound ending to the first in a trilogy. You see so many times when the first book is pretty much all set up for the next two, but this one had an ending worthy of the last in a trilogy.

During the reading, I didn't think I'd immediately go on to the next book in the series, but I read all three back to back and was extremely glad I did.

Helen French (helenfrench) | 37 comments I thought this was okay - the magic system was really interesting and the plot was fresh. The language was quite plain/simplistic - not in a bad way, it was just very direct.

I just don't think I have the energy for the rest of the series though!

Brittany (brittanysmack) I agree with many of you. The book started out slow, but once Vin started developing as a character I really started enjoying the book. The characters finally felt like a group and I loved Kelsier! His death was totally unexpected. I thought Elend was definitely going to die instead. Sanderson has built a rich world and I look forward to reading the next installment.

Scott (thekeeblertree) Helen wrote: "I thought this was okay - the magic system was really interesting and the plot was fresh. The language was quite plain/simplistic - not in a bad way, it was just very direct.

I just don't think I have the energy for the rest of the series though! "

Burn a vial of pewter and get on it! For me, the series got better and better after the first one.

message 19: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wayland Smith | 2811 comments Mod
Library took forever getting this one to me, so I'm obviously late. I did finally get to read it, and I enjoyed it. I read Sanderson's Elantris, which I didn't like, but this was much better. His metal-magic was an interesting system, and I liked the world. Kell's plan was vicious, especially to himself, but he was certainly willing to sacrifice to succeed. I liked this a lot. Not sure I'm going for the rest of the series, but I liked this one.

message 20: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad to hear you liked this one Wayland - especially as you didn't enjoy Elantris. I enjoyed both, but this was definitely my favourite of the two.

message 21: by Caleb (last edited Apr 26, 2014 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caleb Ok! So I keep seeing people ask "Why did she fall for Elend?" well I just want to give my own perspective on why Vin fell for him. Vin has lived her entire life on the streets always being told that every one will betray her. Every one is 2-faced and if someone is kind or generous they are just trying to manipulate you. When she First meets Elend she is kinda put off by him. But she sees very quickly that he is very honest and forthright with his feelings. Elend (to Vin) represents the one thing that she has never had, trust.

In this world we see that socity is baised off of the 2-faced when it comes down to politicking. You smile and laugh and host extravagant parties that you may or may not be able to afford in hopes of impressing and earning political status/power. Elend Detests the sham in its entirety and has no problem showing his discontent. In this he represents something else to Vin, Strength of mind and character. Something that even Kel with his infinite likability fails in this regard, due to his unhealthy hatred of high society/nobles.

In the end, yes he is a dork.
Yes he can be a bit awkward.
And yes he is an unlikely "Love at First Glance" type of character. But given the things Vin feels like she lacks personally. Is there really any one better for her?

message 22: by Caleb (last edited Apr 26, 2014 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caleb In other News Does any one here know/care that every book in BS's series of books (excluding any book that take place on earth) is considered to be in the same universe as his other books? This universe is called the Cosmere. Also in every book look for someone named Hoid. (there all the same person)

So now that you know this. Welcome to the Cosmere you are going to be here for a while. Also any one who want to know more about the Cosmere can message me or leave a comment in this group. ^_^

message 23: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan I know you guys are something of a Brandon Sanderson fan club so I'm pleased to share that I've just started reading this; my first ever Sanderson book.

Josh Koenig | 36 comments I just started reading it as well. About 50% done. Liking it so far, interesting take on the magic system.

message 25: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan I'm still early in, but I think I'm hooked.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments A group I'm in is reading Elantris so Ill start there. plus its based off of Korean History ( palaces, kings, etc) as Brandon used to live there and I'm pretty obsessed with Korea so it will be nice to recognize some things and start off my love of Brandon Sanderson.

message 27: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2761 comments Mod
The Rithmatist was my first book; loved it immensely. Next I read Elantris, and Mistborn is my third. (Trying to go in order now.) I'm almost halfway through. I need to avoid the spoilers still.

I took a beginner Korean class in college. My knowledge has dwindled to the alphabet and syntax. I had no idea of its connection to Elantris.

message 28: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wayland Smith | 2811 comments Mod
Loved Mistborn. Really didn't like Elantris. Did enjoy Sanderson when I got to hear him speak. What to make of all that, I have no idea.

message 29: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 862 comments Mod
I still have only read Mistborn, even though I own the whole trilogy and Steelheart. I'm finally free to up my reading time again so I shall move onto number two in the trilogy soon.

message 30: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
The Stormlight Archeive is my favourite by him even though only two books are out. They are awesome

message 31: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan So in the end I thought it was good. Three stars. My review is here.

message 32: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 2 comments The Stormlight books are amazing. Slowly slooowly building up Kaladin and his bridge crew, while everything from warriors in Shardplate to visions of ancient betrayals rage around them... There are few writers alive who can get me cheering like Sanderson. (That and he has such *fun* with his magic!)

message 33: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken, you might want to check this thread - this one is for the Mistborn series, rather than Stormlight :P

message 34: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 2 comments Got it.

Most thoughts still apply. Sanderson still knows how to build a story, and he plays with his magic and how it works more than almost anyone. :)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments Ive finally started this I dont really care for the characters its hard for me to like the main character when everything she stumbles upon shes perfect at and doesnt even need to try.

message 36: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

I guess I forgot to comment when I finished this.

It was a very long buildup to quite the big finish. I was surprised for sure when ...

SPOILERS

... Kelsior died and that Elend turned out not to be a jerk.

message 37: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Both of those were unexpected, right??

I need to hurry up and read books 3 and 4 in the series, I was sent 5 and 6 to review but need to catch up :/

message 38: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I've only read The Final Empire so you're miles ahead of me

message 39: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't know if one book counts as miles ahead :P I can tell it will take me a while though, I don't tend to read consecutive books in a series in one go.

message 40: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I don't either. Helps keeps it interesting.

message 41: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rinn wrote: "Both of those were unexpected, right??"

Yes!

I'm waiting for book 2 on audiobook at the library. There were only two copies in the system, and both were overdue. Now I see that one has been returned, and a third copy has appeared, leaving one copy still way overdue and probably lost. If I read the paper version, I could get it faster (I'm sure my brother has it), but I'd rather listen to it since there are plenty of books that don't have audio versions, and I'm trying to be efficient in my reading.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments I'm about 40 precent of the way through. I've been listening to the audiobook and marking my space in the mass market version. Hopefully I like it at the end. Right now I don't care one way or the other however I've been really busy so at another time I might feel differently.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments turned this into my gym book and got it done. I liked it and will continue with the series prob in audio as well. currently about 70 precent into The Rithmatist

message 44: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chakara wrote: "turned this into my gym book and got it done. I liked it and will continue with the series prob in audio as well. currently about 70 precent into The Rithmatist"

Rithmatist was my first Sanderson book; I LOVED it.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments Audrey wrote: "Chakara wrote: "turned this into my gym book and got it done. I liked it and will continue with the series prob in audio as well. currently about 70 precent into The Rithmatist"

Ri..."

I think its okay.

message 46: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma | 51 comments It took me a couple of tries to get into the Final Empire and maybe never would have without the audio book. I must say I ended up being quite taken with it. The well of Ascension was also very good but I find myself slightly reluctant to read the Myth of Ages.

Sarah | 641 comments I'm a million years behind every else on this one it seems like, but I checked it out from the library and will start reading it in the next day or so!