The Book Was Better discussion

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1)
This topic is about Twilight
BOOKS ON SCREEN > TWILIGHT

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
I have read these, and seen the movies... but I have to admit I am really over this series! I only saw the last two movies because I took one of my former campers to see them. But, I have to say, the movies did a really good job of showing Bella about the die from the baby. It was very good graphics and CGI; her back breaking scene was both creepy and gross and awesome all at once!

beth (beth01) I agree, the special effects done with Bella in the 4th movie were pretty amazing!!

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

♆Beth♆Queen of Awesomeness♆Team Pereoiconicaol♆ wrote: "I agree, the special effects done with Bella in the 4th movie were pretty amazing!!"

Oh, I should amend my comment though....it was great until they made a CGI baby...then it was just plain WRONG!!!!

beth (beth01) Haha!

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 606 comments Oh I hated the CGI baby! It was freaky looking!

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I feel like the CGI baby was TOTALLY unneeded, and then they continue with the CGI child and it was also ridiculous!! I mean...they could SOOOO could have gotten everything they needed with a REAL child! Just thinking about it makes me soooo freaked out!

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I agree with that they didn't need to use a CGI baby, creeped me out as well!

Kyara | 158 comments I'm also completely over this series, but have any of you read midnight sun, or what's available of it? Because wow it is definitely not what I was expecting at all!

Louisa Knight | 156 comments No I haven't read that book, is it part of series and any good?

Kyara | 158 comments It's just one book and is basically twilight from Edward's perspective. I actually liked it a lot better than the original, from Bella's perspective. The only problem is, it's not the full book and stops when it starts to get to the good parts (because it was leaked and she refused to finish it etc) which is really disappointing because I do honestly like it much better. It actually didn't feel like I was reading twilight when I read it which was nice considering how over that whole franchise I am!

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I heard about it back when I was into Twilight for a few years there, but never read it... I think I decided not to since I knew it was not finished... Kind of lame for her to quit writing it... And now at this point I am sure not many people care at all..... haha

Kyara | 158 comments Yeah I read it last year I think but reading through this made me think about it and then I just got a slight bit of anger remembering she didn't even finish it. Yeah I don't think it would be of any relevance if she were to release it now..

message 13: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

For me, The Short Second Life of Bre Tanner was kind of my favorite of the whole series in the end! Is that bad? haha

Kyara | 158 comments I honestly didn't even read that! Once novellas started coming out I kind of jumped ship on the whole bandwagon surrounding twilight haha. But it was probably better than the actual series because shit, Bella is probably the most annoying and infuriating protagonist I've ever come across wow.

message 15: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

EXACTLY!!! The movies made her 100000% worse too!! UGH!! It was cool to see everything from a new perspective in Second Life, but it was also sad since I loved her character....and I read the whole thing knowing she was going to die! Ya know? I was talking to a friend the other day and these movies came up and I just clamped my mouth shut when she mentioned how well written they were... It was sad really that she does not get to read enough good books that she considers the Twilight series "good writing". It's also sad that Meyers can write better (like in Host) but we don't get to see it much here.... Oh well I guess!

Kyara | 158 comments I'm glad someone else agrees with me!! Yeah see that makes it difficult, reading something and knowing that it will end, and how as well.
Well written? Oh. I mean I would've agreed back in 2007 when I was in love with them. But now I can't even look at them without feeling ashamed in myself.
I haven't actually read the host, because as you said twilight is no where near good writing so being the same author, I completely avoided it!

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I've read the short second life of Bree tanner and found it more interesting than the main books! As for you friend that thought it was good writing.. Well let's just say I disagree.

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kyara wrote: "I'm glad someone else agrees with me!! Yeah see that makes it difficult, reading something and knowing that it will end, and how as well.
Well written? Oh. I mean I would've agreed back in 2007 whe..."

The Host is amazing!! I was not going to read it since Myers wrote it...but gave it a go and I am SOOOO happy I did!! It was amazing! For sure take a look at it. Was better then Twilight, and also WAY better than The Host movie too!

Kyara | 158 comments I will have to add it to my list I think! I haven't seen the movie either so all I really had to go by with my decision to read it or not, was twilight haha. But with your recommendation, it makes me want to read it!

message 20: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh good! Ever since I have read it I have been dying to re-read it and have been telling everyone they need to check it out as well! For sure worth the read!!!

message 21: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 606 comments I read the midnight sun only because it was so controversial as she wouldn't write anymore coz it was leaked. I thought it was good too, but never got to The Short Second Life of Bre Tanner. like you I got over it :D

Booksarethebest I think The host shows a diferent story about love, because it is about four people and their questioning about life , future, surviving , that's why I love this book. But Meyer is retired so there won't be more books and because all the bulliging she suffered.

Kyara | 158 comments I'll make sure I do it this time then!
I am glad I'm not the only one who liked it haha. Yeah the series just kind of became so over the top and just so much that it became ridiculous and laughable. Whenever I look at those novels on my shelf or the movie I just feel embarrassed about how completely in love with the whole thing I was haha.
... I don't know if I want more books from her. I may change my mind after reading the host but right now I am pretty content with that

message 24: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Honestly...I am okay with her not writing any more, since it means she will not write any more in The Host series. I hope though that one day she takes up writing again, since it is such an amazing outlet, and she has talent...It just was not showcased all that well in Twilight....

Kyara | 158 comments Yeah I guess you're right, most definitely not.
Do you regret your twilight days as much as I do?

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I know I definitely do! I think I just liked it because everyone else did :L

Kyara | 158 comments Really? I wish that was the reason I liked it hahah

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Yeah, well I kinda liked it, but not as much as I made out!

Kyara | 158 comments Yeah I think every one elses obsession with it made me go a little over the top with my 'love'

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Hahaha, exactly! Same here, but then we realised they weren't that good!

message 31: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

If for sure regret those days!! I saw the first two movies in theaters like 3 times each...that is just sad to think back to now! But all my friends were reading them senior year of college and I wanted to read them too, so I did and sadly it took me quite a while to realize just how pathetic it all was! haha

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Haha, same here I went to the cinema so many times to see those films, waste of my time. Oh well

Kyara | 158 comments Oh god I actually went to the midnight screening with my cousin for two of them... how embarrassing. I was in year 7 when I read them so only like 12-13 years old, maybe I can get away with it?

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Hahaha, I think it should be allowed if it was back then!

Kyara | 158 comments That makes me feel a little bit better hahaha

message 36: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I saw the midnight screening for the first one. Again, all my friends were going so I wanted to go and liked the books then and all that.... Looking back it's sad how old I was (like 23) and still liked them THAT MUCH! I was less into reading then....so maybe I just didn't know a good book from a crappy one????? :/

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Hahaha, I'm feeling left out that I'm the only one that didn't go to the midnight screening! At least you know the difference now!

message 38: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just did it once, and was like "never again!" That is actually the only movie in my life I have done a midnight screening for... So, not only was it for a not great movie(in hinds sight) but it was also exhausting the next day at school/work!

Louisa Knight | 156 comments Hahaha, oh dear at least you know not to do it again!

Kyara | 158 comments It has been the only midnight screening I've been to as well! Which is actually so upsetting to think about... Oh god why?!

Sarah i actually like the series but the movies were cheap and dumb.

"say it.out loud.say it.
Vampire."

ridiculous.

message 42: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I re-read the books and in doing so realize just how lacking the books were... I have since read Host, and it makes me even more sad at how crappy Twilight was. Clearly with a book like Host out there Meyers is capable of SO MUCH MORE!!

Sarah i reread the books like four times and im sick of them

message 44: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh goodness!!! After the second time through I gave my set away to a camper who was reading them but only owned the first one so far. I told her I had no desire to read them again, and if I ever wanted to I would just go buy it on Kindle... still haven't had the desire to read them again....and don't think I ever will... haha

Sarah now that i think about it though it was a very cheesy and ridiculously stupid storyline

message 46: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 606 comments Funny how this is a hind sight 'revelation' as I'm the same. while reading the books I thought they were fantastic, but when the movies came out they kind of ruined it for me. Showed me I was really just carried away with all the hype.

message 47: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think sooooo many people were just caught up in the hype. Sadly I think the same thing is happening with divergent.

Isabel Falabella (belleherondale) | 11 comments I was all caught up in the hype too... I was like 19 or 20 back then and it had been a looong time since I got caught up in a book, I definitely didn't read as much as I do now. But I loved them so much. I hated Bella since the beginning, but absolutely loved everything else. I do feel embarrassed now. Though I kinda want to re-read the books just to see what would I think of them now that I have read so much more and better things... The movies also ruined it for me, I walked out of the theatre with a strange feeling like 'I want to like it because it's Twilight, but I really don't...' kinda of thing... I haven't even seen the last two.

I do like Divergent, I just don't think is one of the best things out there, you know? I feel the same about The Hunger Games... (please don't kill me!)

message 49: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

The movie for sure ruined things with Twilight! I feel like it made the bad things about the books a little more obvious. Like Bella was really co-dependent and seeing it on screen made it really hard to ignore!! haha

I think Divergent reminds me of Twilight since the movie came out and everyone just likes it cuz other people do, when it is really a TERRIBLE movie!! Hunger Games, I feel like, has more substance in the movies and books. Although there are people for sure that just like it cuz their friends do and they have not read the book or know the deeper reason behind so many things....

message 50: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just saw today on Facebook that next year Twilight will be releasing 5 short films all exclusively to Facebook that will continue the story, or show a different side of it.

What do you guys think about that?

Personally I feel like it is just a way to try to revive the series and get money, when really, the series is dead and forgotten for a reason. With so many ground breaking and amazing books being made into movies right now no one really cares about some crappy love story between an emotionless girl and a glittery vamp.... Am I alone on this one??

« previous 1