Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
This topic is about Heroes Die
The Acts of Caine > HD - Section 6: Day 6

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Section 6

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation to Day 6.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your goodreads friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haven't finished this section yet. I'm curious as to why Caine lets Lamorak live. Is he afraid that Pallas won't forgive him if he doesn't?

I like his strategy of using his wits to try to win rather than his fists. It looks as though Ma'elKoth isn't buying it as he leads Caine to believe.

It also looks like he plans to kill Pallas no matter what.

Caine repeatedly calls her a hero, which given the name of this book doesn't bode well for her...

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So now Caine has convinced the King of Cant and Kierendal of another version of his plan.

I'm curious what his actual plan is. I highly doubt anyone but him knows his real intentions,

The stage is set for the finale.

Andreas Day 6 brings brain instead of fist.

Let's analyze Caine's/Hari's character development in terms of citations a little bit:

Day 4, Section 15: "This is what I live for. This is why I am what I am. There is purity in violence, in the desperate struggle to pull life from death, that surpasses any philosopher’s sere quest for truth."

Day 5, Section 14: "Dad was right, Hari thought. I don’t have to solve every problem with my fists."

Day 6, Section 7: "Okay, maybe I don’t have to solve every problem with my fists . . . but every once in a while, a situation arises that is substantially improved by the judicious application of force."

That father-son relationship is obviously very important for Hari and his turn to involve his brain instead of muscles. I don't know how much of the brain parts in this chapter were done by daddy, though.

It will be a long last day - 60 pages plus an epilogue.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andreas wrote: "DDay 4, Section 15: "This is what I live for. This is why I am what I am. There is purity in violence, in the desperate struggle to pull life from death, that surpasses any philosopher’s sere quest for truth."

Day 5, Section 14: "Dad was right, Hari thought. I don’t have to solve every problem with my fists."

Day 6, Section 7: "Okay, maybe I don’t have to solve every problem with my fists . . . but every once in a while, a situation arises that is substantially improved by the judicious application of force."

Way to just steal my status updates.... ^_^

Andreas Rob wrote: "Way to just steal my status updates.... ^_^"

Your status updates are citations? Using an ereader?

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

No. I just tend to pick a favorite quote from each evening's reading and type them in by hand.

The quotes you used are the exact three quotes I picked for Sun-Tuesday night.

Bill | 1596 comments I can't see this ending as planned. Title of the book doesn't seem to allow it.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments Caine is getting a bit preachy for my liking. It's not the same Caine we were introduced to at the start of the book. Perhaps we can say he's had a massive change in attitude -
But now I'm supposed to be sympathetic towards Ma'elKoth? He's actually a very caring person? The guy who we were introduced to as he's having a bath in someone's guts?

I want evil Ma'el back and brain-dead Caine's fists back. The characterisation is a little inconsistent I think.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't really find him preachy myself, nor did I feel sympathetic towards Ma'elKoth.

He maybe added depth to both such that Caine isn't just some thug and Ma'elKoth isn't a mustache twirling bad guy. Berne still is though.

I agree it does seem to be more of an abrupt shift in character rather than some well done character development.