Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
This topic is about Heroes Die
The Acts of Caine > HD - Section 5: Day 5

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Section 5

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation to Day 5.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your goodreads friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I didn't have to wait long to find out about Lamorak. Looks like Hari doesn't know Karl as well as he thinks.

Lamorak has all kinds of issues. Primarily jealousy and envy due to his own career never taking off. And it doesn't seem like he cares for Shanna at all. Yet he's still jealous of that she might still love Hari instead of him.

He deludes himself as some kind of hero when really everything he's doing seems to be out of selfishness and jealousy.

Can't wait for Hari to get his hands on him. And for Shanna to learn the truth.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was all ready to post about how things slow way down and then there is the river battle.

I'm sorry to see Talann die, but with the title of the book, it's not a surprise. At least Berne didn't get his wish to publicly rape her. God I hope he dies soon.

Pallas somehow gets more badass by tapping into the power of the river. But she took a bolt in her stomach that pierced her lung. Caine's return is looking to be too late.

Hari's plan of stopping the studio with trademark infringement is awesome though.

Andreas Epic showdown of Pallas at the river in day 5.

I found the slowing down to be great: If a novel just keeps up tension, I just don't care anymore at some time. And after the whole shit pit, it was good to be in a cleaner environment.

Talann was supposed to die from the beginning, I didn't invest much into her. I know that she couldn't be a fragile old woman to fulfill her role - but why did she have to be a sex bomb? Female protagonists aren't Stover's strength.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andreas wrote: "I know that she couldn't be a fragile old woman to fulfill her role - but why did she have to be a sex bomb? Female protagonists aren't Stover's strength. "

Yeah, Briane of Tarth she's not..

Bill | 1596 comments It funny I am reading this along with Dresden where all of the females although more developed are all sex bombs as well maybe male authors think it will draw men into caring more about the characters.

I think she needed to be somewhat attractive to build the tension with Caine but now that she died before that developed more I am wondering why that had to be part of their relationship.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "It funny I am reading this along with Dresden where all of the females although more developed are all sex bombs as well maybe male authors think it will draw men into caring more about the charact..."

Yeah, Butcher does like his Bombshells too, but he gives them a lot more depth I think.

And Molly doesn't really start that way in the series, she sort of grows into one.

I think Talann would have been just as interesting as women who could keep up with Caine without any sexual tension. So unless he wanted to write a sex scene or something (which he didn't do), it seems like an unnecessary detail.

And Berne is so messed up, I think he would have threatened to rape her instead of killing her no matter what she looked like.

Andreas Rob wrote: "Yeah, Butcher does like his Bombshells too, but he gives them a lot more depth I think.
And Molly doesn't really start that way in the series, she sort of grows into one."

It's funny that we're talking about it when there is that Butcher story Bombshells about Molly (here's my review).

Shanna on the other hand is bombshell PLUS caring, also a stereotype :)

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andreas wrote: "It's funny that we're talking about it when there is that Butcher story Bombshells about Molly "

It's not a coincidence. That's what's put that word in my brain in the first place.

message 10: by Sumant (last edited Jul 07, 2015 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sumant | 522 comments The way shanna tapped into song was really fascinating read sort of like elder gods from malazan.