Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
This topic is about Heroes Die
The Acts of Caine > HD - Section 4: Day 4

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 4

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation to Day 4.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your goodreads friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Looks like Lamorak has been willingly helping Berne. He's got a cushy cell in the Donjon. I'm still not sure if he was willingly giving up Pallas though.

It doesn't seem to matter though, the spell prevents Berne from comprehending the truth.

After his run in with her at the warehouse though, he now believes she is working for Simon Jester, who he suspects is Caine.

Also Berne is even more twisted than I'd imagined. His fantasy about the Tinker's family... Geez.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

A lot more action in this one so far. The prison escape was pretty awesome. Also disgusting. The torture and depravity. Being changed naked downhill from other prisoners so their excretions roll onto you.. man.

I haven't quite finished yet, so this may get answered, but why does everyone want Caine to let Lamorak die? Kollberg especially. Did he instruct him to work with Berne perhaps?

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Turns out I was right that Lamorak was helping Berne due to leverage. And I was right about Kollberg. How was Karl convinced to take a contract to undermine Shanna?

Hari seems to find it out of character. I'm really curious to learn the whole truth.

Again the relationship between the two worlds is what really makes the book for me. The stuff with Caine is excellent, but the extra layer of the story with Hari and earth really takes it from a good book to a great one so far.

message 5: by Andreas (last edited Feb 19, 2014 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andreas | 220 comments We see some change in Caine's/Hari's behaviour - caring for others like not killing them instantly and rescuing Lamorak to impress Shanna. Romantic, huh? Yes, it's romantic like sliding down the pit.

The pit remembered me of some joke about corporation hierarchies:
http://www.lolwithme.org/wp-content/u...

[image error]

Bill | 1596 comments Wow this section just hooked me completely.

Berne might be the most interesting character for me. He is just so insane. In addition to the Tinker's family what about him unfortunately not being able to rape Caine's dead body when he planned to kill him.

It will be interesting to see how their Otherworld skills will help when they revolt on the main world(seems inevitable). With the higher level of technology and loss of their mindview and magic seems like their power would be very limited.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Berne is sort of comically evil. It's a little too over the top for me.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments Rob wrote: "Berne is sort of comically evil. It's a little too over the top for me."

You should hear him on Audible.
One development I don't like. Caine seems to have developed a conscience. So we have the uber evil bad guy or bad guys in Berne and the Emperor, and Caine is the good guy - when I was sort of expecting him to be more grey.

The scene with the guy digging his own eye out had me blinking tears away.

Bill | 1596 comments Rob wrote: "Berne is sort of comically evil. It's a little too over the top for me."

I agree but at least he wants power to be able to whatever he wants and not just to have it like so many other fantasy bad guys.

@David. I was also expecting to be more grey and not so emotionally soft. I also don't find Shanna/Pallas all that interesting.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill wrote: "I also don't find Shanna/Pallas all that interesting. "

I forget what section he brings it up, but Andreas points out that he's not very good at writing female characters, and I tend to agree with him.

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 1596 comments Rob wrote: "Bill wrote: "I also don't find Shanna/Pallas all that interesting. "

I forget what section he brings it up, but Andreas points out that he's not very good at writing female characters, and I tend ..."

Just responded in the next section.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I've been pretty slow about reading this book - there are just lots of times (like when I am eating) that I need to read something else instead.
The discussion about Caine being a little more grey - I agree that I expected him to be more brutal. We've been TOLD he is brutal and that is what Shanna doesn't like about him, but his actions don't seem to (exactly) follow that. However, thinking about the year this was written, as far as I remember we didn't have a lot of anti-heroes then - most of the main fantasy/sci-fi characters were pretty "pure". So at the time the book was published, maybe Caine was more grey. Just a thought.

Sumant | 522 comments Berne is really insane.

I am in quandary regarding maelkoth because although he does torture and kill his opponents but he really cares for the soldier on the ground.