Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
This topic is about Heroes Die
The Acts of Caine > HD - Section 3: Day 3

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 3

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation to Day 3.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your goodreads friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not a lot of action, but still pretty interesting. We learn a little about Pallas. She's quite the badass mage.

We also learn a lot about Ma'elKoth. Apparently the reason Caine recognized him is because Caine unknowingly helped him obtain his power. The same crown that started his feud with Berne.

It certainly doesn't seem like Ma'elKoth is an actor. And he's not all powerful, because he doesn't seem to know that Caine is. Of course with all his apparent power, he could easily be lying. His hatred for the Actors seems pretty genuine though.

The stuff he does is quite gruesome though. And I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm not going to think too hard about it.

The whole parallel world stuff really adds a unique aspect to the story too.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill's comments in the Day 1 thread reminded me...

Berne somehow knows where Pallas hid the people she was smuggling. He credits an informant.

He doesn't say he extracted it from a prisoner/Lamorak. If Lamorak was the original tipster, did he volunteer the location? Was he tortured for it? He seemed remorseful of something before.

Pallas comments how he knew of the location. Is Berne protecting Lamorak? Is he a red herring? Something doesn't add up to me.

Andreas Though I liked Pallas' POV chapters, I don't get the impression that Stover is good at characterizations of female protagonists.
And the male characterizations are mainly ego-wanking.

Gruesome, Rob? What an understament - don't read the book during lunch, or you'll have scenes like that blood chute through the god's sculptured vulva adding spice to your meal!

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Man..either you held back on commenting in the threads or you read at a ridiculous pace..

Andreas Rob wrote: "Man..either you held back on commenting in the threads or you read at a ridiculous pace.."

The one with ridiculous reading pace is called "Kevin" :)
I'm only the one who took 2 free days to overcome his jetlag - I just came from warm California to good cold Germany which means 9 hours difference :(

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments I nearly had kittens in that blood shute scene.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

At this rate, you'll be done before me, and I started Thursday..

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven wrote: "I nearly had kittens in that blood shute scene."

There were also kittens in the shute.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments At least it gave the goats a break

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 1596 comments The shute was certainly an interesting way for a near god tyrant to express his power.

What does everyone think of the format of the book? I feel like the 2-3 hour chapters the pace has seemed a little slow to me. Maybe once the action picks up it will make feel differently.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments I don't mind the pacing. I'm really enjoying the audio narration - it really suits the tone of the book.

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pace is fine for me. I look at the days like sections rather than chapters. Each day is broken up into sections. They are smaller than chapters, but have made good stopping points for me.

Andreas Rob wrote: "At this rate, you'll be done before me, and I started Thursday.."

Didn't know that this is a race :)

Pacing is fine for me: Some fast going action followed by slower parts where you can take a breath. Contrast that to Butcher's Furies series where you only get actionactionaction. I mean, sometimes a guy has to be able to stop reading and kiss his wife or hug the cat without the fear that the book runs away.

You get longer chapters (days) which make good half-day targets and smaller chapters to take a break in-between.

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andreas wrote: "Didn't know that this is a race :)"

Neither did I until you moved up to pass me. ^_^

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm way behind you guys - but it is fun reading the comments as I make my way through. I agree - the blood chute scene was grim! I was just thinking I need to find a light-hearted book to read when I eat because this one doesn't work at that time.

That was interesting Lamorak speculation above. I still kind of think he is the one that gave up the location - but I guess time (or more pages) will tell!

Sumant | 522 comments Interesting theories all around!!.