Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
This topic is about Heroes Die
The Acts of Caine > HD - Section 2: Day 2

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 2

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation to Day 2.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your goodreads friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

We learn more about the feud between Berne and Caine. I'm still wondering if Berne is another actor or not.

It seems to be presumed by Hari and Kollberg that Ma'elKoth is. He's been eliminating other actors, but is it all actors or just ones that oppose him?

He also seems to be eliminating some non actors that oppose him. So would he let Berne live if he is an actor since he's working for him?

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I again like the relationship between the two worlds here. The board of governors don't like Pallas's actions on overworld because it threatens to upset their power on earth.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments Rob wrote: "We learn more about the feud between Berne and Caine. I'm still wondering if Berne is another actor or not."

Yeah - that's a thought. It also occurs to me - how does the Emperor know Caine is coming? Maybe he has a communication link up with Earth somehow?

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments And those statues of MaelKoth everywhere - I wonder if they are like monitoring devices that link back to him somehow

Bill | 1596 comments David Sven wrote: "And those statues of MaelKoth everywhere - I wonder if they are like monitoring devices that link back to him somehow"

I was thinking the same thing. Was there any mention on how long somebody could survive went sent in free mode(the one used for training)?

Andreas A culture that settles for violent entertainment? Not so, I think - look at contemporary sales for romance stories and you know where the market really is.

The caste-based dystopia reminds me of The Hunger Games.

The fantasy parts reminds me heavily of Karl Edward Wagner's Kane (e.g. in Bloodstone) who is the father of grimdarkness.
The action scenes are worth re-reading with all their gory details.

The only thing that distracts me constantly is the meta-talk. Not only interrupting the fantasy-setting flow but also within that setting, they refer to past adventures and contemporary elements. I see that it's a central story element, but I don't like it:
I played a lot of RPG (like D&D or WoD) some 30 years ago and you always have to fear for your character's life in a way that you can become detached. That is what happens to me in this novel: I stay away from immersing.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Normally I'm all for immersion..but as you said..it's central to the story.

I love the relationship between the two worlds. That's a large part of why I'm enjoying this book so far.

It was definitely jarring when I didn't know about the two worlds at the start of the book, but I'm used to it by now.

Sumant | 522 comments Rob wrote: "We learn more about the feud between Berne and Caine. I'm still wondering if Berne is another actor or not.

It seems to be presumed by Hari and Kollberg that Ma'elKoth is. He's been eliminating ot..."

Maelkoth mentioning that how a prophet influenced culture is clear cut reference from earth.