Science and Inquiry discussion

Science in the News > New Burgess Shale Fossil Bed Discovered

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Van Slyke (steve_van_slyke) | 372 comments 42 miles from the original Burgess Sale fossil bed in Yoho Park in British Columbia another one has been discovered. Early reports indicate that the new finds are likely to surpass the original in terms of new species and level of detail. Here's more: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/...

message 2: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) Saw that. Excellent Stuff!

message 4: by John (new)

John Fraser | 2 comments Cheers for the link. I was considering having a read of Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History soon.

message 5: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 872 comments Mod
Wonderful discovery!

John--Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History is an excellent book. Highly recommended.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 366 comments Yes, that is a tremendous book.

message 7: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 52 comments Yes. Wonderful Life is one of my favorites. I miss Stephen Jay Gould. Use to read his great monthly articles in Natural History magazine.

message 8: by Craig (new)

Craig Evans | 7 comments David wrote: "Wonderful discovery!

John--Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History is an excellent book. Highly recommended."

I read Wonderful Life a few years back... Recommended!!!

message 9: by John (new)

John Fraser | 2 comments Looks settled then - Wonderful life is up next.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Van Slyke (steve_van_slyke) | 372 comments In addition to Wonderful Life, I would highly recommend The Crucible of Creation: The Burgess Shale and the Rise of Animals by Simon Conway Morris. Much of what Gould wrote was based on work by Conway Morris and it goes into a bit more detail. If interested, here's my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...