My Sibling The Mythical Being! discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Mar 15, 2017 09:23AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Hello everyone! Here you can talk to your heart's content about Riley, Justin's girlfriend in the MBTW series.

Don't forget that spoilers ARE allowed here. Thanks and have fun!

Our Character Profile for Riley Carter:

Favourite colour:
Favourite food:
Favourite book:
Favourite song:
Favourite movie/tv show:
Favourite celebrity:
Favourite school subject:
Best friend: Debi
Worst enemy: Milo
Hobbies: Organising anything and everything, singing in In Sheep's Clothing
Most likely to be found doing: Lying on the ground surrounded by paper
Most likely to be found wearing: Something neat
Most likely to be carrying: A ton of clipboards!
Catchphrase: "I'm organising that!"

message 2: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Riley gives herself too much work! Plus she's also sort of impossibly clumsy, she seems to be falling over every three seconds!

message 3: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Yeh but you have to love that about her! I love her and Justin. I've said it before and I will say it again they're the Ivy and Brendan of MBTW :)

message 4: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments And I will say it too: They are the Ivy and Brendan of MBTW! lol!

message 5: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments ;)

message 6: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments I was thinking about Riley's character the other day and I just think it's really cool that Sienna Mercer decided to not only make her obsessed with organising and being in charge, but also cool rock star lead singer of In Sheep's Clothing. The two sides to her personality, although complete opposites, somehow flow really well and I find it really interesting to read about.

I think the fact that Riley's character has this added complexity in a way saved her from becoming this one-dimensional obsessive, pushy prep-girl. And I think that maybe this is where Mercer went wrong with Debi - I've always liked her character less than Riley - as although she has many likeable or even redeemable qualities, that's really all she has, and therefore, to me, she doesn't feel like as much as a real person as many of the other characters. Just a thought. :)

message 7: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments That's a good point about Debi. Her character is not one of the most fleshed out. Riley on the other hand is fast becoming one of my favourite characters in both My Brother the Werewolf and My Sister the Vampire. The two sides of her character do go really well together and overall as a person she just seems very friendly and accepting.

message 8: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Jul 28, 2015 04:54AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Yes! I would definitely want to be friends with Riley. For sure. Not only is she a great character but I love the relationships she has with Daniel, Debi and, of course, Justin. <3 And her clumsiness and insecurity about her height (this wasn't explored much but was mentioned once or twice) makes her really easy to feel for and relate to.

I agree about Debi. Hopefully when she finally, FINALLY (view spoiler) we'll get to see more of who she really is. Even though it doesn't really fit with her character, I would love if she had a really unexpected, perhaps negative reaction to the news. Maybe the whole thing with her dad (view spoiler) would mean that she doesn't believe it at first and thinks she getting a trick played on her. I'd really like to see how that would play out.

message 9: by Sophie, The Joker (last edited Aug 01, 2015 02:15PM) (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments That would be really interesting. I hope she finds out soon though, this has been dragging on too long.

Although it is kind of stupid how there's all this drama surrounding the secrecy of werewolves (if it's anything like vampires in My Sister The Vampire) and then Justin and Daniel managed to spill the secret to 2 people before they're even 16.

Maybe it isn't as strict as in MSTV though, because Justin and Daniel's mum knows about werewolves and I'm quite sure she's a human. She-wolves are rare, so I assume that a lot of werewolves end up with humans. I'm also assuming that Daniel and Justin's parents situation is the norm and that all/most of the human partners of werewolves know about them being werewolves.

They weren't planning on telling Daniel if Justin was a werewolf though so it's not a massive thing that everyone you know knows.

Wow. That's a lot of assuming. What do you think?

message 10: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments I know, on the one hand it feels like it's been so long and Daniel has got to tell her soon, but then again the werewolf community surely don't let every thirteen year old who has a crush on someone blab the werewolf secret. I still think Daniel should tell her though because, when it comes down to it, if he told her it would probably help keep the werewolf secret safe, because she could help hide it from her dad. It's weird that the werewolves don't have any tests or anything like vampires do when letting someone in on the secret. I agree with what you said, they do seem to be more casual when it comes to rules.

I should hope that the werewolves' partners know they're werewolves! They probably do, because it would be really hard to explain where you went every full moon if you were married.

That's a good point about them not telling Daniel. They did have their reasons (that he would feel left out) but still, it was kind of weird.

message 11: by Daisy, The Brains (last edited Jan 20, 2017 10:06AM) (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Since we're now group-reading through the MBTW books, I thought it'd be a perfect time to start filling out character profiles for some of the characters! I'll start this time.

Riley's best friend's got to be Debi and her worst enemy would be Milo do you reckon? I'd say she's most likely to be seen carrying her clipboards and her hobbies are anything involving organising, as well as singing in Daniel's band. Any other ideas?

message 12: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments She's most likely to be found on the floor surrounded by paper, lol. Your things are great. Her favourite school subject is probably mentioned in the books, I'll keep an eye out. As for her outfit, Justin and Daniel are always describing her as 'preppy' and in Cry Wolf she "looked as neatly put together as ever in her perfectly ironed top and plaid skirt, a plain black headband holding back her blonde hair". Most likely to be found wearing something neat? I'm not sure how we should describe her style or if she has one item she's mentioned wearing a lot.

message 13: by Sophie, The Joker (new)

Sophie | 1253 comments Her catchphrase should be something along the lines of "I'm organising that" or "I'm volenteering for that." I'm re-reading Puppy Love at the moment and she says that a lot.

message 14: by Daisy, The Brains (new)

Daisy | 1399 comments Haha, on the floor surrounded by paper - I love that so much! Your catchphrases are also great - I think I like the organising one more. Hmm, yeah I'll put 'something neat' for the wearing thing for now. If there's a specific item mentioned later on we can always change it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cry Wolf (other topics)