Kevin
This topic is about Kevin
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Young Man Coming of Age-Gay [s]

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments I read this in paperback, my memories are:

Young man on cover in burgundy tshirt and jeans

I think the young mans name is Danny or Donny and that the name figures in the title.

The central young man is living with a step-father and younger brother (Don't remember the Mother at all) He is introduced to hustling by his younger brother.

There is a gang of boys, one who is younger and perhaps a bit "simple"

There is sex in a cemetery where the gang takes advantage of the younger boy and an attempted rape of the central character.

I remember this as being a very moving book at the time.

Probably read this in the 70's.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed (edcaley) | 21 comments City of Night, Could this be the book. if you are looking for another coming of age gay novel look at The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second, It is modern coming of age story and very humorous while still taking the struggles of a young gay man seriously.

message 3: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Neither of these. City of Night is a favorite of mine.

I don't think this was GREAT book, but it had some powerful and some touching writing that brings it to mind fairly regularly.

message 4: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments I'll take a look at Charlie

message 5: by Rainbowheart (last edited Mar 10, 2014 04:48PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 19037 comments So this was a teen book? Like, you found it in the teen section of a library or bookstore in the '70s?

There really weren't that many gay teen books from the '70s, so it sounds more like it was published for the adult market.

message 6: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments you're probably right about that.

message 7: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Still looking

message 8: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
I've come across a book titled "Danny Does" by Jerry Clark, published 1970, with subject headings of
"Gay men -- Sexual behavior -- Fiction" and "Gay erotic literature" but no plot details, but maybe?

message 10: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Checked on these...neither is a match. I may be off on thinking the title has the boy's name in it. Toward the end of the book there is a teacher/counselor figure that the boy gets involved with.

message 11: by Andria (last edited Mar 09, 2014 12:44PM) (new)

Hmmm. Ok, one more guess, sticking with the Danny theme, since you mentioned the teacher: (although this was published in 1984, so maybe too late)

Danny has subject headings of:

Censorship -- Fiction.
Gay teenagers -- Fiction.
Teacher-student relationships -- Fiction.

message 12: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Danny might be it. I don't remember it being by a woman, but it might have been. I can't seem to find anything on it though, plot, etc. Also the 1984 date seems a little late, possible, but at the far end of possible. I was thinking more in the 70's when I read it.

message 13: by Andria (last edited Mar 09, 2014 01:04PM) (new)

Hmmm, maybe not, though. Some user reviews on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.ca/Danny-Margaret-S...

Don't seem to match your description. You may want to check into other titles published by Alyson Publications, a gay publisher that had some YA books in the early 80s, maybe late 70s.

message 14: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Definitely not that one, but it was worth a try.

message 15: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments still looking

message 16: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 4 comments Peter by Kate Walker may be the book your looking for. The main character is Peter but he likes a David.

message 17: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Thanks for the tip...but no, not it. The main character in my book is the older of the brothers and it takes place in America.

message 18: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Still looking

message 19: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Still looking for this book...it keeps floating to the surface, the cover, paperback, brunette boy in I believe burgundy t shirt and jeans. His younger brother introduces him to hustling, There is a gang, can't remember if they sniff paint or smoke pot...maybe both...a forced sex scene in a cemetery and later the central character has an attempted rape on him by the group. I think it was the 70's. Surely someone has read this.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Don't give up. You never know when someone who has read your book will join the group. Up to this point, apparently no one has...

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I wonder if there are any LGBT reading groups where you could also post this? It would help if there was such a group for vintage reads.

message 22: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Do you remember where the story takes place? Urban area, rural, Los Angeles, Britain, etc?

Was the story set in the 70s or earlier?

message 23: by Jay (last edited Nov 17, 2015 06:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Urban... don't think it was LA or NYC but not sure...seems like it was big city but maybe not that big.

I would guess the story took place late 60's to mid 70's

message 24: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments This made me think of Saul's Book which has some of the elements you describe, but is not an exact match. Also, it was published in 1983 according to Goodreads, but that did surprise me because I was thinking it was published in the 70s.

message 25: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Looks good, but not the one.

These kids were kids who occassionally hustled, not street hustlers per se.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bump.

message 27: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments No one seems to remember this one. I can see the cover so clearly, but the title...gone.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Is the cover image a photo, painting, drawing, etc.? Is he standing, sitting? Doing anything? Is he the only thing on the cover? Does he resemble anyone we've heard of? What does he look like?

message 29: by Jay (last edited Dec 20, 2016 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments The cover is a boy standing against a brick wall on the right side of the front cover. He is brunette, wearing jeans and a t-shirt...I think the T-shirt is red. He is probably about 3/4 of the heighth of the book. I think the title is to the left...upper quarter. He is probably 16 or so, I think he is wearing tennis shoes...but not sure. His hair is the swooped bangs of the late 60's. He is not a tough.

I would so love to recover the title of this book. I have been searching it for a long time.

The cover is not a photo. An illustration.

message 30: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19037 comments When did you read it? You said '70s, but later you maybe as late as '84?

message 31: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Entirely possible.

message 32: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments I know this is not your book (this is about a heterosexual female) but your description of the cover instantly made me think of it. How does this cover compare to the one you remember?

Tunes for a Small Harmonica by Barbara Wersba

message 33: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments Yes, very similar. I believe my character is facing to his right rather than slightly left as she is, but the basics are there. On my book the character is wearing jeans. At first glance, in the tiny size of the image, I thought it might be the book...general color, mood, etc.

message 34: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Cardam | 30 comments KEVIN by Wallace Hamilton...the name came to me as I awoke from a nap. Looked it up and there it was. 30 some years later! Thank you all who have made efforts to find this for me. It's taken a while. Now I want to reread it to see if it was as good as I thought. The blurb says it's a romance, not the way I saw it at the time, or probably the romantic aspect of the story just didn't mean as much to me.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great. Thanks for letting us know.

message 36: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Best how-I-remembered-the-name-of-that-book experience.

message 37: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19037 comments Kevin for the trackable link.