The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > If you could make any book into a great film...?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neb (new)

Neb (nebutron) I saw this question on my Facebook feed (can't remember the source) and it's a great question. If you personally had the means to make any book into a fabulous, successful film, what would you pick? I'd be torn between "Into the Storm" (crosstime shipwreck sci-fi) by Taylor Anderson and "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.

message 2: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments I'd pick The Scar by China Mieville (with a 1 billion dollar budget).

message 3: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson along with the rest of his Mistborn Trilogy. <3

message 4: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments This is a tough one to answer because most of the books I love couldn't be done properly in just a single movie, but would need an HBO-style miniseries. If forced to pick just one, I'd go with Imajica by Clive Barker.

message 5: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I've been reading Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga and think it would make a great TV show.

message 6: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Ty wrote: "This is a tough one to answer because most of the books I love couldn't be done properly in just a single movie, but would need an HBO-style miniseries. If forced to pick just one, I'd go with [boo..."

I was torn between Imajica and The Scar.

message 7: by Ken (last edited Feb 13, 2014 09:19AM) (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments I'd second "The Scar" with an HBO budget.

I'd also add (with the "HBO budget & R-ratings) caveat:
number9dream by David Mitchell
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
The Left Hand of Darkness by UK LeGuin
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
Stations of the Tide by Michael Swanwick
The Four Lords of the Diamond by Jack Chalker

And part of me would like to see the following done, but part of me thinks no film could ever capture them:
The Book of the New Sun: Shadow and Claw, Sword and Citadel
Latro in the Mist
There Are Doors, all by Gene Wolfe
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The City and the City by China Mieville

message 8: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Funny, after reading the Earthsea posts I was thinking that we're lucky Syfy never made The Chronicles of Amber. Supposedly they had the rights a while back and nothing came of it.

Maybe as a TV series, The Merrimack series, if it could be done as well as Battlestar Galactica. The Myriad

Maybe a Aloysius Pendergast movie. The Diogenes Trilogy: Brimstone, Dance of Death, and The Book of the Dead Omnibus

message 9: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Kenneth wrote: "I'd second "The Scar" with an HBO budget.

I'd also add (with the "HBO budget & R-ratings) caveat:
number9dream by David Mitchell
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
[book:The L..."

I'd say The City and the City by China Mieville could not effectively be adapted to film. The trickery is so closely tied to it being a work presented in text. However, the same could be said of A Kiss Before Dying and that's been made into a film a couple of different times. (I've not seen any of the films and can't fathom how they could have managed to pull off the central trick.)

message 10: by Joaquin (last edited Feb 13, 2014 10:06AM) (new)

Joaquin Garza | 37 comments During last year I was wondering the very same thing...

Downbelow Station being a 'chamber' space opera, could be turned into an excellent real opera. (Yes, sung!) In my review I even assigned voice types for every character.

Hyperion, given its structure, could be transformed into an HBO miniseries with seven 2 hour long chapters, one for each character's story plus the pilot episode.

and finally, Tigana is a great candidate for a film. I would definitely choose Franco Zeffirelli as a director, given the italianated fantasy tone of the novel. It matches perfectly with the ambiance of films such as Romeo & Juliet and Brother Sun, Sister Moon.

message 11: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Revelation Space, and it would be a huge, sprawling, ponderous affair with an Outland meets Solaris atmosphere. It would flop at the box office, destroy the studio that let me make it, and ruin my career, but I would be so, so happy regardless.

message 12: by Viola (last edited Feb 13, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Viola | 185 comments I would like see Hayao Miyazaki make Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve into a anime movie. There are elements in the book that you can find in a Hayao Miyazaki movie, or at least I think so.

message 13: by Redrosevertigo0 (new)

Redrosevertigo0 The Night Circus!

message 14: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 13, 2014 01:07PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments I second Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained as an HBO series. It makes more sense to adapt novellas into movies.

message 15: by John (john) (new)

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 130 comments Harkaway's Angelmaker could be really spectacular.

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Redrosevertigo0 wrote: "The Night Circus!"

I don't watch many movies, so this kind of thread is always hard for me, but I'd love to see a movie of The Night Circus. Good call. :D

message 17: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 148 comments Not so much individual books into movies, but as movie franchises?

The Reluctant Swordsman trilogy, by Dave Duncan - done a la LOTR. Which is ironic to say, since I usually recommend Reluctant Swordsman as being non-Tolkein-esque fantasy. :-) Actually, almost any Duncan series that comes to mind would make awesome film.

The Garrett, P.I. books by Glen Cook.

Stainless Steel Rat books, by Harry Harrison.

The Myth series, by Robert Asprin

Though I must admit, it would take a very special movie to do well by most books that I love. The cinema is hard pressed to live up to what I see in my head as I read.

message 18: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments The Hour of the Dragon, of course.

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Altered Carbon.

message 20: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Tamahome wrote: "Altered Carbon."

NC-17

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments HBO.

message 22: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Tamahome wrote: "HBO."

I could live with that.

message 23: by L. (new)

L. Shosty The Eclipse of Dawn

It's a futuristic Presidential campaign where one of the candidates runs on a platform of, "Elect me, and a bunch of aliens hiding behind Jupiter will arrive on Earth and fix all of our problems."

message 24: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Holmes | 21 comments The Pendragon Adventures. Though it would be a challenge since their are 10 books and Bobby Pendragon only ages like 2 years over the course of them, so IDK how they would adjust that.

I just think the series would be awesome on the big screen, there is a scene in the 9th book involving a stadium that would have peoples jaws on the floor if they could see it om screen, though their are plenty of other epic scenes throughout the series.

.......I need to re-read those books.

message 25: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 14, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments I'm reading a book now called The Scorpion Game, kind of a singularity-murder mystery, and has a lot of visual elements that would lend themselves to a movie, maybe an animated one.

message 26: by Ivi_kiwi (new)

Ivi_kiwi | 87 comments Joaquin wrote: "During last year I was wondering the very same thing...

Downbelow Station being a 'chamber' space opera, could be turned into an excellent real opera. (Yes, sung!) In my review I even..."

I would love to see that opera.
What voice types do you have in mind for each character?

message 27: by Joaquin (new)

Joaquin Garza | 37 comments Ivi_kiwi wrote: I would love to see that opera.

Let's see... I thought Damon, Emilio and Josh were tenors, Signy and Elene were sopranos, Mazian was a baritenor, Lukas, Azov, Kressich and Angelo were baritones, Graff, Di and Porey were basses, Alicia was a mezzo-soprano and maybe Ayres was a countertenor.

message 28: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Joaquin wrote: "Ivi_kiwi wrote: I would love to see that opera.

Let's see... I thought Damon, Emilio and Josh were tenors, Signy and Elene were sopranos,..."

What about the Hisa?

message 29: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 184 comments Talking of opera - for some reason (maybe the book's playfulness with synaesthesia - also the tendency to solo speechifying), I've always thought The Stars My Destination should be an opera.

Some Pratchett novels would work well as films - you'd lose the style (and the footnotes), but some of them are written in a very cinematic way. Problem is, they'd cost a fortune to do well (the cheap TV versions are pretty underwhelming).

Asimov probably lends himself to film, too. Short stories and short novels, not much emphasis on the narrative voice, not a lot of psychological access, so you wouldn't miss much in the film version. Plus some fantastic visuals. The Caves Of Steel in particular could make a great film.

The thing I'd most like to see, though, would be Hobb's Liveship Traders. It wouldn't be a film, it would be a sprawling series spread over three or four years (or more - there are plenty of side characters who could easily have their stories fleshed out effectively to take up more screentime). It would work better than Farseer, I think, because so much of the content of Farseer is in Fitz's head, whereas Liveships already feels more visual and distant.

message 30: by Joaquin (new)

Joaquin Garza | 37 comments Thane wrote: "What about the hisa?

Funny, I hadn't thought of them... with the voices they were given in the audiobook, probably they should be child sopranos.

message 31: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (neverwanderer) | 63 comments Mistborn would make a great action fantasy heist movie.

To be honest though, the one I still harbor dreams of someday seeing brought to fully and faithfully realized life is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. And, really, just take the cast from the most recent radio production and you'd have s straight success on your hands.

message 32: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments You know Neverwhere was a tv show first right?

message 33: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (neverwanderer) | 63 comments Tamahome wrote: "You know Neverwhere was a tv show first right?"

Yyyep. I own the DVDs! I have an affection for it because it's Neverwhere, but even Neil Gaiman wasn't happy with the way it turned out -- that's why he wrote the novel.

What I want to see is a big-budget (or, big enough) adaptation of the book. Something to do the story justice, which the BBC series really does not.

message 34: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Speaking of Neverwhere, is the recent BBC audio production available for purchase anywhere?

message 35: by Rob (new)

Rob Rowntree | 21 comments The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot, #1) by Larry Niven The Legacy of Heorot

Gotta pack those theatre seats.

message 36: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I'd love to make an epic HBO style series of the Pern books.

I'd also like to make some Heinlein, maybe Friday or Glory Road.

message 37: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments The Shattered World by Michael Reaves, although I think it'd have to be more of a miniseries. Inhabited fragments of a broken world floating in a loose agglomeration, wizards, thieves, a werebear -- what's not to like?

(And maybe that would get us a third book in the series.)

message 38: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (neverwanderer) | 63 comments terpkristin wrote: "Speaking of Neverwhere, is the recent BBC audio production available for purchase anywhere?"

I was given a copy, but I've been told it's available through iTunes and Audible, I think.

message 39: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "Speaking of Neverwhere, is the recent BBC audio production available for purchase anywhere?"

Definitely on audible. $10 for members. No idea what the iTunes price is.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Radio-TV/Ne...

message 40: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Thanks for the link, Rob!

message 41: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "Thanks for the link, Rob!"

You're welcome.

message 42: by L. (new)

L. Shosty Zayne wrote: "First, I'd definitely do a remake of Eragon because everyone knows that movie in 2006 was just garbage. They took off a large chunk of content from the book that could've easily fit i..."

The Crystal Shard would make a great CGI movie. When I was reading it waaaaaaay back when, I always pictured the characters as animated (a little Disney, a little animated LotR) instead of as actual people.

message 43: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments I would have to go with The Lies of Locke Lamora, it's plot is different enough to make it stand out.

Tad William 'Otherworld' books would make a great TV series.

message 44: by Darren (new)

Darren Red Mars, if only because I'm tired of the awful Mars movies that get made.