The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

Movie!!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Feb 13, 2014 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel They are finally making a Giver movie.
RELEASE DATE IS AUGUST 15, 2014.

Here's a look a the cast for the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435651/?...

Do you like the people that they chose?

Bridget I'm seriously disappointed with the choice for Jonas. He's supposed to be 11, not 24! I mean, they will surely make him look a little younger but a central theme to this book is "coming of age" and how can you show a freaking 24 YO coming of age? He's already of age! *shakes head*

Selena Hmm...everything is ok but how did Taylor Swift get cast for this movie??? oh and omg its gonna release on my birthday!!!

Rosella I'm guessing Brenton Thwaities will portray Jonas as a teenager. Based on his other work, he seems to be one of those 20 something actors who regularly portray teens, but he doesn't look as if he could realistically pull of looking 12. Then again you never know, when I was 24 I was mistaken for an 11-year-old. The actors who play Fiona and Asher are both teenagers, so they're probably going to make them teens. I hope they don't make him too much older. If they do then his gradual sexual awakening would seem out of place.

Penny I can see what Rosella and Bridget mean about the casting of Jonas. Yet, i guess casting a teenager in a role that experiences a sexual awakening would be uncomfortable for western audiences.

I wonder how they are going to show Jonas's gradual awareness of colour? Are they going to start in black and white and then have the colours slowly fade in, i think that would be a cool effect

Rosella Penny wrote: "I wonder how they are going to show Jonas's gradual awareness of colour? Are they going to start in black and white and then have the colours slowly fade in, i think that would be a cool effect "

There's a lot of cool effects they could do with color, but it wouldn't be as cool as the book. When I was reading the books, I spent a lot of time wondering what the thing that happened to the apple and Fiona's hair was. When I realized the whole world was in black and white, it figuratively blew my mind. There's no way to make this a surprise in a movie.

Hayley i think they r having people for the wrong ages. Fiona and Jonas should be younger , the giver should be older

J.U. Scribe I don't mind Jeff Bridges playing the Giver. He's the best choice out of the cast although the others may surprise me or I don't know them well enough to assume one way or the other. I honestly wish they would have used actors who were actually pre-teens instead of 20 something year old actors to play Jonas and his friends. I know they are aging the characters up but I wish the directors would have stayed true to the book because age, up to 12, was significant and bumping the character's ages will change the plot significantly.

Although I was disappointed to say the least considering this is one of my favorite books I won't write off the movie yet. I'm curious where they will go with this movie.

Lyndsey Buchanan I am very delighted to see Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges in the casting.

Molly In the movie, they are making it the Ceremony of 18, which is why the boy playing Jonas isn't anywhere close to being twelve. Anyway, I think the cast so far is good and though it'll be different, I'm looking forward to the adaption!

Candy Sparks I love when they get the age wrong for books that are turned into movies. Almost like for 1984 the new re-make, Wilson instead of being in his 40's is in his 20's. Here we have Jonah being only 12 and looking like a 20 year old. Also when it came to Game of thrones Jone snow was like 16 in the book and in the T.V show he is like 23 years old.

Tayla Moore I love the Giver it is a great book and i think that when they make movies out of books they should go with the description in the book i mean seriously.
Oh so he magically went from 11 to 24.

message 13: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa I cant wait. I cant believe taylor swift is rosemary.

message 14: by Roni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roni I'm a little excited to see this adaptation as well. I too am interested in how the film will work with Jonas discovering color.

A little off topic, but could the reason that producers and directors cast older/adult actors so they won't have child labor law restrictions while they're filming?

message 15: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa i m excited but i kinda wanted the kids to be played kids. Like seriously JONAS LOOKS LIKE A 30-something year old man! Jonas is not a 30-something year old dude. Hes an innocent 12 year old. Although i am glad jeff bridges is the giver. He does fit the part.....

Candy Sparks Roni wrote: "I'm a little excited to see this adaptation as well. I too am interested in how the film will work with Jonas discovering color.

A little off topic, but could the reason that producers and directo..."

I think you might be on to something.

I think it is also because Jonas is very mature for his age as well. Just like John Snow in Game of Thrones.

message 17: by Josh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josh Selena wrote: "Hmm...everything is ok but how did Taylor Swift get cast for this movie??? oh and omg its gonna release on my birthday!!!"

Taylor Swift is a surprisingly competent actress.

Chris Baker It looks like a complete and total hatchet job. I won't be going to see it just for this reason. The bottom line is that they didn't want to hire minors and deal with all the regulations involving that.

I just watched another teen movie recently about three 15-year-olds. They were all played by actors ranging from 14 to 16. I suspect that is why it was good. The actors were actually the age they were playing, or close to it.

Selena Josh wrote: "Selena wrote: "Hmm...everything is ok but how did Taylor Swift get cast for this movie??? oh and omg its gonna release on my birthday!!!"

Taylor Swift is a surprisingly competent actress."

wow. didnt know that...

message 20: by Roni (last edited Feb 21, 2014 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roni Chris wrote: "It looks like a complete and total hatchet job. I won't be going to see it just for this reason. The bottom line is that they didn't want to hire minors and deal with all the regulations involving ..."

There are a lot of regulations when hiring minors; because of child labor laws and education laws, children/minor actors can actually shut down part of the movie. It ends up taking longer to film and costing movie studios more money.
I remember watching commentary on "A Walk to Remember" with the Director, Shane West and Mandy Moore. Mandy was still under the age of 18 during most of the filming and they had to rush a lot of the scenes because of her age and stop filming for the day because she was the main character.
So I don't really blame studios and casting directors for getting older actors to play younger characters. It keeps them on track and time for the film.

Kelly Brigid ♡ O_O Jonas is like what 19? 20? and Taylor Swift is Rosemary??? and the Fiona and Asher are WAY too old as well. Okay don't like those picks right there. For a number of reasons. First of all, they're already making a Percy Jackson mistake: the main characters are suppose to be 12, yet they made them 22. Now it's going to make it all that weirder regarding the "stirrings" since their older. This movie is probably gonna be rated PG-13 now, and the kid audience probably won't be able to see it. I do like Jeff Bridges as the Giver...and phew, at least they got a little girl to play Lily...their are some big names in this movie, so apparently it was given thought into. Hopefully it'll be accurate to the book.

shelsel.lh Jonas is about 13 not 19 or 20 ! how do know who is acting who. the movie isn't out a till Aug. 15. 14 not in Feb. I do full agree with how Hollywood will make the "stirrings" inaprotive!

message 23: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa They need to edit their cast because the guy who plays jonas looks like a 30 year old something dude. Jonas is twelve!!

Photo Modivation Can't wait!!

Rosella Srhelsel609 wrote: "Jonas is about 13 not 19 or 20 ! how do know who is acting who. the movie isn't out a till Aug. 15. 14 not in Feb. I do full agree with how Hollywood will make the "stirrings" inaprotive!"

search The Giver on IMDB.

message 26: by Mackenzie (last edited Feb 25, 2014 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mackenzie I honestly don't care to much about the movie. It probably won't be horrible, but I don't really care that much about watching it when it comes out.

message 27: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa i wanna see it!

Serena Bridget wrote: "I'm seriously disappointed with the choice for Jonas. He's supposed to be 11, not 24! I mean, they will surely make him look a little younger but a central theme to this book is "coming of age" and..."

Dude! I thought the same thing!

I always saw Jonas as this cute kid who learns to think on his own and develop his own voice. This guy looks way too old to pull that off.

And what is this "Taylor Swift as Rosemary" thing?

What was so wrong about Lois Lowry's choice of ages?

Why did they just decide to make the characters older?

WHY?

Mairi Clayton They're ruining it by having the actors too old.

message 30: by Gaby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaby Testa Mairi wrote: "They're ruining it by having the actors too old."

i agree

message 31: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella Miller YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS JUST WAITING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!