The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2014 > 30.3 - DLMRose's task: Crazy Quilt

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 14, 2014 09:06PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10790 comments Mod
30.3 - DLMRose's task: Crazy Quilt
March is National Quilting Month. I was raised in a family of needlework artists and I’ve always been surrounded by quilts.

Choose 2 options and read one book for each.
Required: Identify the options used and supply any required information when you post.

1) Quilt Blocks - Read a book with one of the words from this list of popular quilt block patterns in the title or subtitle. The following words may NOT be used: a, and, in, of, the, to
Any of the other words in the pattern names may be used, but it must match exactly - no variations. You must use the pattern name and not the square size (i.e., 6 1/2 and 12 1/2 are not options).
Required: Name the quilt block pattern when you post.

2) From Your Stash - Read one of the 10 books that has been on your TBR pile the longest.

3) Fat Quarters - Read any book (whole numbers #1-4) from a series identified as a Quartet on Goodreads or with only 4 published books in the series.

4) Q is for Quilt - Read a book with a Q in the book’s title, subtitle, or author’s name.

5) Seminole Patchwork - A personal favorite, Seminole Patchwork quilting techniques originated from the patchwork used for clothing by southeastern Seminole Native Americans in the late 1800s. Read a book from one of these lists: Native American Fiction, Native American Biography
Required: Name the list and the book’s position number when you post.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Apr 13, 2014 05:03AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
4 books
Lang Downs

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

reserved

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10790 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) These work?

2) From Your Stash - Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

3) Fat Quarters - Nineteen Seventy Four by David Peace (Red Riding Quartet #1)

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Delmy =^.^= wrote: "These work?

2) From Your Stash - Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

3) Fat Quarters - Nineteen Seventy Four by David Peace (Red Riding Quartet #1)"

yes

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Option 1) Alpine for You by Maddy Hunter - Alpine Cross quilt block pattern

Option 2) P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern - On TBR since 8th Nov 2008

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Claire wrote: "Option 1) Alpine for You by Maddy Hunter - Alpine Cross quilt block pattern

Option 2) P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern - On TBR since 8th ..."

looks good

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments loving the quilting...I always wanted to learn, but I don't have the patience ;)

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Dee wrote: "loving the quilting...I always wanted to learn, but I don't have the patience ;)"

I was told to start with a small project- just a pillow top or a small seasonal/holiday project, something you can actually finish. Otherwise you end up with UFO's- unfinished objects....

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15618 comments Mod
Dlmrose wrote: "Dee wrote: "loving the quilting...I always wanted to learn, but I don't have the patience ;)"

I was told to start with a small project- just a pillow top or a small seasonal/holiday project, somet..."

I think my first was a wall quilt - but I wanted to make real quilts that people could snuggle around, LOL! I don't think I could even begin to count all my UFO's...................... but not everything needs to be finished.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments Lol based on the number of cross-stitch UFO's around my house...lol

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Prajakta wrote: "Will this book for Option 1: Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies by Ben Macintyre?"

yes, you would need to include the pattern name- Alpine Cross or Double Monkey or another

message 15: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Would Mark of the Dragon Queen - Katie W. Stewart for option 4?

Would Best Friends - Consuelo Saah Baehr for option 1 (The Best Friend)?

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Mark of the Dragon Queen - Katie W. Stewart for option 4?

Would Best Friends - Consuelo Saah Baehr for option 1 (The Best Frie..."

yes

message 17: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments DLM, would an unfinished quartet work? Gail Carriger's Finishing School series is supposed to have four books, but only 2 are released. Can I read Book 2?

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Chaitra wrote: "DLM, would an unfinished quartet work? Gail Carriger's Finishing School series is supposed to have four books, but only 2 are released. Can I read Book 2?"

It's not identified as a quartet on GR and it doesn't have 4 published books, I'm afraid it doesn't work

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7515 comments Just double checking on Just Like Heaven - any the-smith quartet

message 20: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (missellen82) | 221 comments Try Earlene Fowler's quilt series or Mary Dahiem's The Alpine Advocate series.

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Dee wrote: "Just double checking on Just Like Heaven - any the-smith quartet"

yes, the series is identified as a quartet

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Even though this is my third challenge I sometimes still get a little confused on the rules.

I'd like to use

The Witch's Boy for option 2 as it's one of the first books I added to my TBR list, and it's also the selection for my IRL bookclub next month.

However, 7 people have it shelved as "children's" on GR.

Per the rules: "Books with the genre “childrens” or "kids" on their main page may ONLY be used for tasks above 15 points IF they are at least 300 pages long."

Can I still use it as it is 400 pages- or because this is a 30 point task and it has "childrens" on the main page am I out of luck?

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Hana C wrote: "Even though this is my third challenge I sometimes still get a little confused on the rules.

I'd like to use

The Witch's Boy for option 2 as it's one of the first books I added to ..."

You may use it if it fits option 2. It has the genre children's but it has at least 300 pages- that fits the rule.

Setalpgninnpsekil | 52 comments I have a general question about books on my TBR list as pertains to option 2 of your task.

I joined Goodreads last October and added several books to my TBR all on the same day. When I go to organize my TBR by date added, do I have to pick from the first ten books listed, or can I pick any book from the earliest date listed, since it's about a 30 way tie for earliest book?

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Setalpgninnpsekil wrote: "I have a general question about books on my TBR list as pertains to option 2 of your task.

I joined Goodreads last October and added several books to my TBR all on the same day. When I go to organ..."

The first 10 listed

message 26: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments House of Purple Cedar by Tim Tingle House of Purple Cedar

Could this book be included under the Seminole Patchwork - Native American Fiction option?

The author is Native American. The story is about Native Americans. It was just published last month, so I think it's maybe too new to have made the rounds to make the list, but since I live in Oklahoma, I'd like to read it!

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Pat wrote: "House of Purple Cedar by Tim TingleHouse of Purple Cedar

Could this book be included under the Seminole Patchwork - Native American Fiction option?

The author is Native..."

Sorry, it needs to be on the list- it appears as #205 currently, but with your vote- "3. For tasks that require reading a book from a Goodreads listopia list or shelf, the book must appear on the list or shelf when you access it and the player may not add books to the list to be used for that task. "

message 28: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments I understand. Thanks.

I'll see if I can make it fit a different task.

message 29: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments For option 1, can I read The Grass Crown? There is a quilt pattern called King's Crown 12 1/2...

thanks!

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Cindie wrote: "For option 1, can I read The Grass Crown? There is a quilt pattern called King's Crown 12 1/2...

thanks!"

yes, crown would work

message 31: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Cindie wrote: "For option 1, can I read The Grass Crown? There is a quilt pattern called King's Crown 12 1/2...

thanks!"

yes, crown would work"

thank you!!

message 32: by Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (last edited Mar 19, 2014 06:44AM) (new)

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Just to be sure, for option 3, quartet, only whole numbers are counted? So Pact Arcanum would work even with middle books 1,5 and 3,5 listed.

message 33: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 19, 2014 12:54PM) (new)

Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Just to be sure, for option 3, quartet, only whole numbers are counted? So Pact Arcanum would work even with middle books 1,5 and 3,5 listed."

The option specifies a whole numbered series book "identified as a quartet"- this series is not identified as such, OR " with only 4 published books in the series" -this series has more than 4 published books.

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Just to be sure, for option 3, quartet, only whole numbers are counted? So Pact Arcanum would work even with middle books 1,5 and 3,5 listed."

The option specifies a whole numb..."

Ah, it's goes like that. Thanks for the clarification. =)

message 35: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi Dlmrose, just want to make sure I can read Justine in the full quartet The Alexandria Quartet (i.e. I am going to check out the latter, but want to make sure Justine counts as a standalone book)?

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

mstan wrote: "Hi Dlmrose, just want to make sure I can read Justine in the full quartet The Alexandria Quartet (i.e. I am going to check out the latter, but want to make sure Justine co..."

Yes, that would work

message 37: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1088 comments For Option 2. I had this book on my list (it was #7 added Jan 18, 2013). But I had the wrong edition - the graphic novel not the actual book. So now it says that its a new addition to my TBR pile. Can I still use it?

Fevre Dream

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Allison wrote: "For Option 2. I had this book on my list (it was #7 added Jan 18, 2013). But I had the wrong edition - the graphic novel not the actual book. So now it says that its a new addition to my TBR pile. ..."

yes, that's fine

message 39: by Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (last edited Apr 13, 2014 02:29AM) (new)

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Option 3.

I'll like to get approval for only 4 published books as I don't have any idea whether the author is planning more books for this series.

Lang Downs

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Option 3.

I'll like to get approval for only 4 published books as I don't have any idea whether the author is planning more books for this series.

Lang Downs"

approved

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Thank you!

message 42: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Apr 26, 2014 09:21PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Dlmrose,

For Option 3 Fat Quarters

Yellowstone series has 4 published books in the series. That 5th appears to be an ebook with all of the series books in it. Will this series work for that option?

I plan to read A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 for Option 1 - Maple Leaf pattern.

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Dlmrose,

For Option 3 Fat Quarters

Yellowstone series has 4 published books in the series. That 5th appears to be an ebook with all of the series books in it. Will this series work for that opt..."

Yes, the 5th book is an ebook bundle/anthology

message 44: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments for option 4, how is The Strangled Queen?

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Cindie wrote: "for option 4, how is The Strangled Queen?"

sure, there's a Q in the title

message 46: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Question about option 3) Fat Quarters - Read any book (whole numbers #1-4)

Are the whole numbers in question 1, 2, 3, 4 ?
So if there are 3,5 book, does it still count as whole number book?

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Skandia wrote: "Question about option 3) Fat Quarters - Read any book (whole numbers #1-4)

So if there are 3,5 book, does it still count as whole number book?"

The book you read must be a whole number.
if there are only books 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 - that's 4 published books

message 48: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Skandia wrote: "Question about option 3) Fat Quarters - Read any book (whole numbers #1-4)

So if there are 3,5 book, does it still count as whole n..."

Thanks. Did not catch that from task description.