The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2014 > 30.2 - Sassafrass's task: Mouth full of words!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 14, 2014 09:05PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
30.2 - Sassafrass's task: Mouth full of words!

One of the things I love about being in medicine (I mean besides all the serious stuff) is the fact that I know these really cool sounding words that mean really simple things. I love impressing people when I say them, and laugh when they ask what they mean and see how UN-impressed they are when find out how simple the meaning is. So when subject of my obscure medical knowledge came up with my Goodreads friend and fellow SRC addict Delicious Dee, she suggested I make a task out of it. Thanks, Dee, for the idea!

For this task, you must chose two different options and read one book that fits each option. Standard SRC rules apply.

Option 1--Pheochromocytoma: This is a rare, usually noncancerous tumor that develops in the core of an adrenal gland. This is one of my favorite words. It's fun to say and is one of the longest words I know at 16 letters.

So, in honor of the pheo, read a book that is #16 or higher in a series (as identified by Goodreads).

Option 2--Amaurosis fugax: This is sudden blindness in one eye caused by a lack of blood flow to the eye and can be a sign of a stroke.

For this option, read a book that clearly shows at least one eye (you must be able to see the white of the eye and the iris) on the cover. These lists may help but be cautious. It's possible that not all books on the lists will meet the requirements of the task: Best "eye" on the cover, Eye of the Beholder, I See You!
Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option 3--Palpitations: are the feelings of having rapid, fluttering or pounding heartbeats.

This is a common one but I love it because it reminds me of my favorite genre Romance with its hearts aflutter.

For for this one, read a book with Romance as a genre on the main page. Any sub genre of Romance is fine as long as it has Romance first (i.e. Romance>>Paranormal Romance)

Option 4--Tinnitus: This is noise or ringing in the ears.

For this option, read a book that is fiction or non-fiction about a musician or a group of musicians. These lists may help but be cautious. It's possible that not all books on the lists will meet the requirements of the task:
Best Books on Rock and Roll, Musically Inclined Heroes/Heroines In Romance, M/M with musician MC(s), Best Biographies/Memoirs of Popular Musicians
Required: If the GRs description does not make it clear, explain how your book fits the task.

Option 5--Borborygimi: This is the scientific name for the sounds your stomach makes when it rumbles or growls.

I LOVE this one because it sounds so serious but it means something so silly!

For this option, lets make your stomach grumble! Read a book with food on the cover. Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option 6--Amblyopia: or "lazy eye," causing vision loss due a problem with vision development and occurs in childhood.

So, for this option, read a book with the genre children's, kids, or young adult on the main page.

NOTE: According to SRC rules any book with "Children's" or "kids" as a genre on the main page must be over 300 pages to count for a 30 point task

Required: Identify which options you used and any other required information when you post.

Optional: Tell us about some obscure words you like to use.

message 3: by Sassafrass (last edited Mar 20, 2014 04:06AM) (new)

message 4: by Sassafrass (last edited Mar 02, 2014 03:23PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments NOT APPROVED
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (not approved for either option 5 or 6 due to page length requirement of children's books)

Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King --not approved for option 2 because you can't see whites of eye(s) or pupilI(s)

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Kathy G. (last edited Feb 14, 2014 10:18PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Is this one okay for "eye" on the cover?"

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray

(I wasn't sure if you meant "real" eye.)

Thanks

message 7: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments awesome task, Sass!

message 8: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Would like to confirm :
option 2: The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa
option 3: The Iron Queen

message 9: by Susan A (last edited Feb 15, 2014 08:40AM) (new)

Susan A I feel slow headed today -- does this mean I need to pick one book that fits two of the options?

Or is it two books, but each must be from a different option?

Really creative task!

message 10: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Susan A wrote: "Or is it two books, but each must be from a different option?

this!

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4092 comments Susan A wrote: "I feel slow headed today -- does this mean I need to pick one book that fits two of the options?

Or is it two books, but each must be from a different option?

Really creative task!"

Susan, this is a 2 book task.

message 12: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Would like to confirm :
option 2: The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa
option 3: The Iron Queen"

those both work!

message 13: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Is this one okay for "eye" on the cover?"

Thanks"

I'll take that!

message 14: by Susan A (new)

Susan A THanks -- I think I needed a coffee infusion.

I love this day! I'm going to spend the whole day fitting books into tasks. Yippee!

message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4092 comments Music and Silence Would this fit option 4? I seem to be one of 4 people who own a copy.

message 16: by Tanya (new)

Tanya D (mtlbookworm) | 161 comments Love this task!

Would this work as an eye on the cover?
1984 by George Orwell

message 17: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Bea wrote: "Music and Silence Would this fit option 4? I seem to be one of 4 people who own a copy."

Yes, that works.

message 18: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Tanya wrote: "Love this task!

Would this work as an eye on the cover?
1984 by George Orwell"

Thanks! and yes, it works.

message 19: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Ty wrote: "awesome task, Sass!"

Thanks, TY!

message 20: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Is this one okay for "eye" on the cover?"

Thanks"

Thank you!!!

I'll take that!"

message 21: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4092 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Bea wrote: "Music and Silence Would this fit option 4? I seem to be one of 4 people who own a copy."

Yes, that works."

Oh, good. Thank you.

message 22: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) These work?

Option 2-- 1984 by George Orwell by George Orwell

Option 3-- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

message 23: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "These work?

Option 2--1984 by George Orwell by George Orwell

Option 3-- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte"

Yes both work

message 24: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 58 comments Will this title work The Lady of the Rivers (The Cousins' War, #3) by Philippa Gregory

Thank you.

message 25: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Rhonda wrote: "Will this title work The Lady of the Rivers (The Cousins' War, #3) by Philippa Gregory

Thank you."

I'm not sure what option you want to use it for.

message 26: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 58 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Will this title work The Lady of the Rivers (The Cousins' War, #3) by Philippa Gregory

Thank you."

I'm not sure what option you want to use it for."

I'm sorry. It's option 2

message 27: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Rhonda wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Will this title work The Lady of the Rivers (The Cousins' War, #3) by Philippa Gregory

Thank you."

I'm not sure what option you want to use it for."

I'm sorry. It's option 2"

Yes, that's fine

message 28: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 54 comments Thanks a lot, Sassafrass, for such an interesting task. I honestly, had never heard most of the scientific names you have mentioned.. hence making it more intriguing for me.

Would like to get an approval for the following books :

# Option 2 : Amaurosis fugax
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro by Kazuo Ishiguro

# Option 5 : Borborygimi
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl by Roald Dahl

message 29: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 17, 2014 11:16AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Apoorv wrote: "Thanks a lot, Sassafrass, for such an interesting task. I honestly, had never heard most of the scientific names you have mentioned.. hence making it more intriguing for me.

Would like to get an a..."

Glad you like the task!

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro --works for #2

but

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory doesn't work for any of the options because it's a children's book and is not over 300 pages. That's according to the SRC rules. Sorry about that.

Here's the link to the rules. It's under "
Book Formats and Page Numbers Explained" #5
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 30: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 54 comments Appreciate the prompt reply, Sassafrass and thank you for bringing to my notice the flaw in the selection of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I would appreciate if you could check and approve, if correct, two more books for the same Option 5

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender by Aimee Bender

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan by David Levithan

message 31: by Claire (last edited Feb 17, 2014 01:08PM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Option 2: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Option 3: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost Romance > Paranormal Romance

message 32: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3531 comments I assume this works for option 2, eyes on cover
The Golden Calf (Irene Huss #5) by Helene Tursten

message 33: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Apoorv wrote: "Appreciate the prompt reply, Sassafrass and thank you for bringing to my notice the flaw in the selection of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I would appreciate if you could check a..."

Those are both fine for option 5!

message 34: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Claire wrote: "Option 2: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Option 3: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost Romance >..."

your selection for option 2 works and your selection for option 3 works for genre...it has both romance AND romance>paranormal romance on main page, so you're doubly covered!

message 35: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Andy wrote: "I assume this works for option 2, eyes on cover
The Golden Calf (Irene Huss #5) by Helene Tursten"

yes, that's fine.

message 36: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1766 comments How is Gone With the Woof for option 1? It appears to be #16 in the series

message 37: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Cindie wrote: "How is Gone With the Woof for option 1? It appears to be #16 in the series"

No, this one doesn't work. It's not identified as a series on GR. When a series is identified on GR is has a clickable link that brings up all the book in the series in order. Examples of this are:

P is for Peril, Wicked Witch Murder or Sizzling Sixteen both of which have (Series Name, #16) in the parentheses that then link all of the books in the series.

If this book is part of a series like this, you can request that it be added to goodreads by the librarians and once that's done, it'll be good to go.

message 38: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments It should be fine now, there are a bunch of Kindle imports for this author, that were not combined with the other editions.

I have combined all I could identify, and now the book is marked as #16 in this series.

message 39: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 18, 2014 10:00AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Fandury wrote: "It should be fine now, there are a bunch of Kindle imports for this author, that were not combined with the other editions.

I have combined all I could identify, and now the book is marked as #16 ..."

Thanks, Fandury!

You're all good, Cindie!

message 40: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3531 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Claire wrote: "Option 2: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Option 3: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost"

yes, that's fine."

Thanks!

Sassafrass wrote: "Claire wrote: "Option 2: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Option 3: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost by Lauren Oliver Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Option 3: Halfway to the Grave by [author:Jeaniene Frost|66..."

message 41: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1766 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Fandury wrote: "It should be fine now, there are a bunch of Kindle imports for this author, that were not combined with the other editions.

I have combined all I could identify, and now the book i..."

thank you so much!

message 42: by Prajakta (last edited Feb 18, 2014 11:16PM) (new)

message 43: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Prajakta wrote: "Does this qualify for food option Cooked A Natural History of Transformation by Michael PollanCooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan ?

Also..."

They both work.

message 44: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 88 comments Does these qualify

Option 2--Amaurosis fugax The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
Option 5--Borborygimi Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan

message 45: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Poongothai wrote: "Does these qualify

Option 2--Amaurosis fugax The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
Option 5--BorborygimiWelcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan"

Yes, those are both fine. Make sure to point out the eye at the top of the first book when you post because it's easy to miss.

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7693 comments for Option 4 - would you count singer as musician - or do you want instrument playing musician?

message 47: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments A singer is a musician. It's just their voice is the instrument.

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7693 comments Just checking ;)

message 50: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "OPTION 2 = The Girl Who Put Out The Fire by D.K. Janotta

OPTION 3 = Dating A Cougar: Book One of Never Too Late Series - Donna McDonald"

Both look good.

« previous 1 3