The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2014 > 10.7 - Sugar Shack

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 14, 2014 08:59PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10888 comments Mod
10.7 - Sugar Shack
Early spring is prime maple sugaring season. Read a book set primarily (at least 50%) in one or more of the largest producers of the sweet stuff: Canada, Vermont, New York, Maine, Wisconsin, Ohio, New Hampshire, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, or Connecticut. Required: If the GRs description does not make it clear, explain how your book fits the task.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraallen) | 76 comments Would this work for this task?? Thanks

Anne of Green Gables

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Hatchet by Gary Paulsen set in Canada.

message 7: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) Surfacing by Margaret Atwood (set: Canada)

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Barbara wrote: "Would this work for this task?? Thanks

Anne of Green Gables"

Yes, that works.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3397 comments I assume this one works? It is set in Canada. In the First Early Days of My Death
Thanks, Andy

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Andy wrote: "I assume this one works? It is set in Canada. In the First Early Days of My Death
Thanks, Andy"

It certainly does!

message 11: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Would High Heels in New York work for New York?

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would High Heels in New York work for New York?"

It sounds like its primarily (or at least half) set in NYC so, yes, this would work.

message 13: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1123 comments I'm reading Blankets which is in Wisconsin.

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Allison wrote: "I'm reading Blankets which is in Wisconsin."

That works.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments I know you are out of town Kristi - but Secrets of the Lost Summer - the description only says north-east US, but references the Swift River Valley which is in MA according to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quabbin_...

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15679 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "I know you are out of town Kristi - but Secrets of the Lost Summer - the description only says north-east US, but references the Swift River Valley which is in MA according to Wikip..."

Altho I'm covering Kristi's tasks while she's away, I'm going to leave this one for her.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 10, 2014 01:26PM) (new)

Dee wrote: "I know you are out of town Kristi - but Secrets of the Lost Summer - the description only says north-east US, but references the Swift River Valley which is in MA according to Wikip..."

Some of the reviews mention Massachusetts. So, yes, that'll work.

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison | 186 comments Will The Find work? It mentions that the find takes place in British Columbia (Canada) in the goodreads blurb about it.

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Alison wrote: "Will The Find work? It mentions that the find takes place in British Columbia (Canada) in the goodreads blurb about it."

Yes, that works.

message 20: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Can I use Jim Gaffigan's Dad Is Fat for this? It's non-fiction, but it's about his experiences as a father raising five kids in an New York City apartment.

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Mrs.soule wrote: "Can I use Jim Gaffigan's Dad Is Fat for this? It's non-fiction, but it's about his experiences as a father raising five kids in an New York City apartment."

Sure. Since the GRs description doesn't mention it, though. Make sure you include the fact that it's set in NYC when you post. I'll add it to post #2 as approved, too.

message 22: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments Could I use The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry? It takes place on a ficitonal island called Alice Island but it is located off the coast of Massachussetts.

message 23: by Kristina Simon (new)

Wanda wrote: "Could I use The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry? It takes place on a ficitonal island called Alice Island but it is located off the coast of Massachussetts."

No, sorry, it needs to be an actually place in Massachussetts.