Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Real Life Anime/Manga Clubs

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Are you a member of an anime or manga club? What do you guys do? How many people are there?

I would love to be able to meet up with other people that enjoy manga, but the closest one that I have found is too far for me to get to on a regular basis. I'm thinking about calling them to see if they have any membership rules that would prevent me from going on random days I could show up.

I am sort of planning an anime event for my library(I work there now). We have a teen program that will have an anime theme in April. I'm super pumped about it. We're making candy sushi and playing an anime Scene It game that I made in PowerPoint :)

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments I was a part of an anime club back in college. They had weekly showings, was definitely a come and go as you please type of club, and I made a lot of friends I still keep in touch with.

Not involved with anything organized now. I do sometimes help out with the Jeopardy style gameshow at Otakon, as some of my friends run it.

The library event sounds awesome. :)

message 3: by Hardian (new)

Hardian | 21 comments Not sure if you can call it a club, but I was in a manga community starting out as an online facebook group. It has quite many members and then some who live in the same city liked to have meet-ups, I'm part of them. Now it's more like a manga gang (even after the initial online community has been very light active).

We often go to anime/manga-related events such as cosplay events (there are a lot of them regularly held in my city, some of us are cosplayers too - not me), manga festival, the annual big anime event: the Anime Festival Asia (AFA), or the less pretentious activities like hunting manga together (most of us are manga collectors, manga here is quite cheap compared to other countries), watching anime together, watching superhero movies together (or also other interesting movies, no anime movies screened here or very rare), discussing (or more like talking about) anime/manga which can go on forever (our favorite).

I've been quite busy lately though that I've been absent going out to an anime/manga event (also since I don't enjoy going out too much), but they seem to still go here and there.

message 4: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
I'm part of my college's anime club as well. We have weekly showings where we watch all of three/four anime throughout the semester, depending on their length. Lots of fun. :)

We also have a free mini-con once a semester (so twice a year). I'll post about it when I know the date so anyone in the area can stop by. :)

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments It's cool to see that you guys have been part of so many kinds of events and communities! I do need to join one myself. None of my IRL friends read manga :( I love the idea of getting together with like-minded people.

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Mike wrote: "Not involved with anything organized now. I do sometimes help out with the Jeopardy style gameshow at Otakon, as some of my friends run it."

That wouldn't happen to be Greggo's Game Shows, would it?

I'm not in anything organized aside from Goodreads and Ravelry though do attend events here and there.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments Yep, it's the one Greg hosts. I know him and a couple of the other key people behind the scenes from college. We're currently working on this year's.

message 8: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Cool. I met him at the Geek Creation Show last year when he hosted Shut the Tardis. We had fun attending. Missed the Celebrity jeopardy though caught it on YouTube.

Good luck with future events. You guys do a great job

message 9: by Mike (last edited Apr 15, 2014 08:35PM) (new)

Mike | 389 comments ... and after some searching on those shows I feel like an idiot. Wrong Greg. -_-; Oops.

Those look good. Will have to watch them sometime.

message 10: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Enjoy! Celebrity Jeopardy was very amusing. The Severus Snape impersonator stole the show.

message 11: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Michaels (jemsbooks) I was part of my college club for a few weeks before I had an emotional breakdown and had to drop out. I have not found anything that does not require you to be a member of the school they are affiliated with. Thought about starting one but have no idea how.

message 12: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 37 comments It's rare to find a manga fan in India, but I'm lucky that many of my friends are manga/anime fans,we have great fun discussing them. Alas, we don't have any official club for that.