What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy, quest, 1970s. Barbarian joins a group on a quest for a mythical blade. Starts in an empire founded by a man who succeeded at a similar quest.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments 70's hardcover.A barbarian joins a group of people on a quest to find a mythical blade. they begin in an Empire founded by someone who had succeeded in an earlier similar quest.One gets a wish granted for success. At the end the warrior wishes only to do well at that which he strives to do well or is good at.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Slim hardcover.green cover

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:55PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Do you remember anything else about the quest? Or at least, about some of the adventures they had while trying to solve the quest?

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Do you have any sense of whether this was part of a series, and/or if it was by a "big name" author?

Recall anything about anyone else on the group -- e.g., male, female, old, young, different skills or talents?

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Sorry to get so late. Above is basically it. Not a big name author like Andre Norton and details are basically what I've written. What made it stand out to me is what the warrior wished for at the end of the book (see above).

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Still looking

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Hi all,

still on my want list. I remember that it was a small sized hardcover library edition that I read,

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments bump

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Robert wrote: "Hi all,

still on my want list. I remember that it was a small sized hardcover library edition that I read,"

Still looking for this one. I read it in my local library 1979 or before. I do not believe the author was well known.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Was it for adults, or YA?

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Hard to tell. I'd say young adult since I was in my teens at the time. YA was not a genre like it is now though.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
True. Some ways to figure out what age it was intended for (not foolproof, of course) are: age of the protagonists; simplicity of writing style or a more limited vocabulary; where it was shelved in a library; if you got it from a junior high school or high school library.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments it was in a public library; so there's that. I'd YA due to the style though.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Still looking for this one.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments still looking for this one

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments OK, a few more questions that might jog something loose:

Do you recall what was mythical about the sword? For example, did you have to be a hero to wield it, did it allow you to do magic, etc.? Any suggestion of whether it was set on earth or some fantasy world/planet? Age(s) of the character(s)? He joins "a group of people" -- anything at all you recall about other members of the group? When did you read it? Any idea whether it was new at the time or an old(er) book?

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I read this as a teenager, YA before that was a thing. Hardcover. Group had at least one young couple out for an adventure. The barbarian at the end wished for only to be good at that which he worked hard to achieve. The Empire where this starts was founded by a man who had suceeded at a similar quest.

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Still looking for this; nothing new to add

message 19: by Kris (last edited May 03, 2020 10:57AM) (new)

Kris | 35101 comments Mod
Robert, I added more plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app.

Can you tell us more about the mythical blade?

Is everyone who fulfills the quest granted one wish at the end? By whom? Is that the expectation when they start the quest?

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments From what i remember those who succeed are indeed granted that 1 wish I do not know by whom and I believe that that is the expectation; but few attempt it due to the incredible difficulty.