Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Suggest a good novel about end of the universe

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amir (new)

Amir Ibrahim | 2 comments Hello folks,
I am struggling to find good hard scifi novel about the end of the Universe, or the Origin of the Universe, or something like that.
I read "Entropy":
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
I really liked it, it has kinda the theme I am looking for, but could not find something similar since then.
Most scifi either about politics in space (aliens relations with human civilization) or about some adventure and war.
I am looking more for "Philosophical" and Univesre mystery of creation type of novel.
Any idea?
Thanks,

message 2: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 61 comments Try TAU ZERO by Poul Anderson. Any number of Stephen Baxter's short stories and novels deal with The Big Themes, including THE TIME SHIPS which was his sequel to H. G. Wells's THE TIME MACHINE, authorized by the Wells estate for the centenary of his birth. Not necessarily about the beginning and end of the Universe as such, but a lot of Greg Egan's work asks some deep questions regarding consciousness and reality.

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments Yes, I have to second the Tau Zero suggestion!

message 4: by Amir (new)

Amir Ibrahim | 2 comments Thanks for the suggestions. Tau Zero looks interesting indeed.
Open to even more suggestions about "the big picture and big questions" novels.
Keep them coming folks :)

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert | 45 comments Have not read Entropy but the goodreads description reminded me of the Asimov short story "The Last question" .

And cannot remember if Last and First Men end with the end of the universe - but close!

message 6: by Larry (new)

Larry Robinson (drlarryr) | 11 comments I think Stephen Baxter's Manifold Time fits this description, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 417 comments Hmmm.

You might like John C. Wright's The Golden Age, The Phoenix Exultant, and The Golden Transcendence. It takes place millennia in the future, and one of the major plot themes that emerges is a conflict over how humanity will come to the end in the end of the universe. Even though, as one character observes, the actual end is much farther in the future than the life of the universe heretofore.

message 8: by Bob (new)

Bob Lee (boblee333) | 36 comments I second The Time Ships

message 9: by spikeINflorida (new)

spikeINflorida | 54 comments Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhoods End". The story ending is... um...the beginning of the end. One of my all time favorites.

message 10: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 595 comments I think the most memorable end of life book is by Kurt Vonnegut's Cats Cradle. Cat's Cradle.

message 11: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments Mickey wrote: "I think the most memorable end of life book is by Kurt Vonnegut's Cats Cradle. Cat's Cradle."

While I love that book it's really a "this is the way the world ends" rather than "end of the universe." Much smaller scale, I think, than the OP was after. (Still a fabulous book!)

My immediate thoughts were of Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence. I've only read Vacuum Diagrams, which is a collection of short stories, and though it's listed as #5 in the Sequence, I read once that Baxter said it was possibly the best introduction to the Sequence. I was a bit iffy on its quality, but its ideas were very good. Topically it fits right in with the requested theme.

Greg Bear's City at the End of Time also came to mind, however, I'm not sure many would find it "hard" scifi. It has a fair amount of fantasy elements in it. Pretty dark but highly imaginitive. At its core, though, it does deal primarily with the end of the universe. But I recognize it's not going to be for everyone.

message 12: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 595 comments There is a book I read last year called The Beautiful Land.
By Avril. It is also an end of the universe, parallel universe, book.

I did not care for it because like many books they get caught up in un-believable paradoxes. After all the O.P. said "Good Novels". But that is all up to the reader.