SLCLS Genre Study discussion

Romance Subgenres > Erotica

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:42PM) (new)

Trish Hull (trishull) | 6 comments AllRomance.com reported that in 2012 the top best selling sub genres were M/M and Erotica/Erotic Romance. They also reported that male readership increased 18% in 2012. Sales of BDSM romances skyrocketed 400%( think 50 Shades of Grey) So what do you think? Are you reading more racy reads? Why do you think 50 Shades and other erotic romance is so popular?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 78 comments Mod
I think 50 Shades of Grey is so popular because it's popularity gives people a license to read something that normally they would feel embarrassed to read. There are probably a lot of people who would normally not pick up a BDSM romance, but they gave that a try because everybody was talking about it. It's like gateway erotica.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Shidler | 25 comments I think 50 Shades of Grey normalized BDSM to some extent. Everyone was talking about it, therefore it's okay to read that kind of material. I think more than most romance subgenres BDSM has a stigma attached to it so 50 helped remove some of that

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish Hull (trishull) | 6 comments I am an old lady and I remember when Romeo and Juliet was first released. It was rated R. It is now rated pg13. The movie is exactly the same. Have we changed or do we feel more relaxed about sex in our movies and books? Has the anonymity of e-reading given us a freedom to read we didn't have before when everyone could see the cover and title?