Citizen Radio Maniacs discussion

The Fault in Our Stars
This topic is about The Fault in Our Stars
Young Adult Reads > What did The Fault in Our Stars mean to you? [WARNING: SPOILERS PROBABLY]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lucas Nguyen | 4 comments The Fault in Our Stars

I first caught on to this book when Camille tweeted about a short list of books that changed/saved her life, so of course I was immediately intrigued.

TFiOS came to me in a time in my life when I was a bit of a handful to be around. I had been hurting over some personal trauma for a long while and was in a process of recovery from it.

What I remember most of all from this book was how, every 10 pages or so, my heart would break wide open, but in a beautiful way that really helped me stitch more parts of me back together. I wouldn't exactly say that it was The Thing that saved me from myself, but it was definitely One Of The Most Important Things.

So, maniacs! How/why/what/whozat did The Fault in Our Stars affect you?

message 2: by Will (new) - added it

Will (wnkramer) | 2 comments Haven't read it - but need to! Thanks!

Melanie | 7 comments Lucas, what a beautiful and apt description of the book's emotional impact!

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Apr 15, 2014 03:05PM) (new)

Jessica | 1 comments I absolutely love this book, I ended up reading it one sitting! (oops!)

As cliché as it is, the “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities” quote really stuck with me. It, and the whole book really, make you realize to appreciate what you have because you never know how long until it's gone.

My favorite part of the book that always makes me smile is the part on the plane with the cigarette metaphor; “It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.”
At the time I was reading the book, I was having one of those college "I don't know what I'm doing with my life" meltdowns, and this part kinda helped me to realize that I had control over my own life.

I could go on and on, but the point is that this book helped me quite a bit and I still re-read it all the time!

*And as a side note, while reading the book I was terrified that it would end abruptly like 'The Imperial Affliction' (Hazel's favorite book). Despite the ending, I'm glad it didn't end like I was expecting! haha :D

Mikell | 4 comments Just finished the book recently and haven't seen the movie yet. I'm in a serious relationship right now so reading a book about mortality was a tough pill. The only reward out of remembering that we could lose our lives or the lives of loved ones at any time is that you're more conscious of life, for a little while. It's a shit reward but it's better than taking all of life for granted, I suppose. It's strange that grappling with mortality is the greatest struggle in a person's life and we never talk about it.