GETTING TO KNOW THE WORMS > Question 8 - The Winter Olympics

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathew, Point giver (new)

Mathew Smith | 185 comments Mod
Are you watching any part of the Winter Olympics

message 2: by Mathew, Point giver (new)

Not to bring up stereotypes here, but, avid bookreaders (who post about books, keep lists of books, and join such book related challenges as this one) don't strike me as the sporty type. Just wondering if the Olympics is different?

We don't have cable or a satellite dish so I'm having my first experience at watching live stream sports on the internet. I haven't watched all the much so far, a part of the opening ceremonies and a snippet of Canada winning 1&2 in the moguls. I really do not know what I am going to do about the hockey though. Assuming Canada makes it to the gold medal game it will be shown at 7:30 am our time! I might have to call in sick to work that day?!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments I usually pay some attention to the Olympics (more summer than winter), but haven't watched any of these so far. I can enjoy an hour or two watching the skaters, but usually get fed up with how many ads there are and go read a book :)

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki I have no interest, whatsoever, though hubby and youngest son seem able to watch curling for hours.

message 5: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Carruthers | 72 comments I was a competitive athlete and an avid reader up to the end of my Army career - back injury has curtailed my athletic endeavors though. I played soccer competitively until I was in my late 30's (I didn't start playing in organized leagues until I was 27 or so) and was a power lifter, eventually competing in STREND (STRength + ENDurance) competitions when I was deployed to the Middle East.

I have not made much effort to watch the Winter Olympics, as viewing them in the past has led to poor judgment of my own athletic ability. Like watching snowboarding events and thinking to myself, "Yeah, I could totally do that..." and then going on a ski/snowboard trip and realizing how dreadfully wrong I was...

The bit I've seen so far of this Olympiad, was Kaitlyn Farrington's gold medal clinching half-pipe run last night. Very impressive. I can't even string together tricks like that in a videogame.

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon Rindy Dear Bookworm,

Watching the Olympics makes one a spectator. Participating in a sport makes one, erhm, sporty.

I promise I'm not always so contrary.

message 7: by Mathew, Point giver (last edited Feb 19, 2014 04:04PM) (new)

I find the Olympics a funny thing. For eg, none of my co-workers watch any sort of sport...except when the hockey playoffs come around, but, that just goes with living in Canada...but, during the Olympics they all become avid watchers. They all seem to get right into the stories, the medal count, the disappointing losses. It all seems very odd to me.
Not sure if it has something to do with the actual sports or if it is more a national pride thing?

Oh, and did you see the men curling today Melki (two more wins for Canada!)?

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments I think a big part of watching the Olympics is the soap opera factor. It's not about the sports, it's about the backstory.

message 9: by Melki (new)

Melki description

description

message 10: by Melki (new)

Melki Sir David Attenborough Provides Playful Commentary for Women’s Olympic Curling - http://laughingsquid.com/wildlife-bro...

message 11: by Melki (new)

Melki description

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Pimm | 8 comments I enjoyed the olympics. Watched the skeleton with my boys and had to find when the two man bobsled team was going so we could find the Jamaican Bobsled team, watched them. then watched Cool Running. My husband had to watch some hockey, like when the US women's team CRIED. Biathlon, and some other stuff. I liked the ski jumping and the skeleton the most. So cool. Canada didnt do so great with those sports though.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 273 comments I watched all of the snowboarding since its a sport I've recently taken up (started before the olympics before you ask) and some of the skiing and hockey.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 156 comments Joined the group after the Olympics but we did watch at least some events most evenings.