Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice discussion

What would Elizabeth be like today?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.C. (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:15PM) (new)

C.C. Alma What do you guys think? Would she be looking to be a homemaker to a rich man? Would she be a single career woman who refuses to to get married unless he's perfect? What career would she choose? Would she be a party girl? Would she go to raves, or be a competitve ballroom dancer? Would she be a high-end fashionista, or would she be more rebellious and cutting-edge, with tattoos and piercings?

Kate I think the the Lizzie Bennet diaries did a great job of answering this question.If you have not seen them, they are a series on you tube in which Lizzie Bennet has a vlog where she talks about her life. It stays very close to the book, with the exception that it is modern times and it is really interesting to see how it is adapted.

message 3: by C.C. (last edited Feb 13, 2014 11:40AM) (new)

C.C. Alma Thanks, Kate. I just watched the first two episodes. The way modern Lizzie is played is not the way I would have done it. She seemes kind of flighty and hyper. I see Liz as outgoing and lively but also calm, athletic and straightforward, someone who hikes, spends a lot of time outside, and doesn't like to waste time with flighty nonsense. Going to law school maybe, because she loves a good argument. I'll keep watching.

Elisa Santos I would think that she would be like Carrie Bradshaw from The Sex and the City - carreer woman, always surrounded by her girls, and always looking for Mr Big which in Lizzie´s case would be Mr Darcy.

Rosella Thanks for the recommendation kate, I looked it up intending to watch one or two episodes and I'm on episode 55.

Kate Kate wrote: "I think the the Lizzie Bennet diaries did a great job of answering this question.If you have not seen them, they are a series on you tube in which Lizzie Bennet has a vlog where she talks about her..."

I agree. I loved LBD so much. It was a great modern adaptation of the whole story.

Ayaonbooks Liz Bennet will still be headstrong not afraid to speak her mind and she will still demand to be respected for what she believe in

Jodi As I sit here replaying some of the scenes that played out in my head while reading the book the thought occurred to me that I'd easily be friends with her. Then it dawned on me that all of my close female friends do have some of her traits in one combination or another in varying degrees. Also, while her sisters seem to have one very strong trait that defines them, she seems to be a more rounded version of the rest of the siblings combined.

Kressel Housman Kate wrote: "I think the the Lizzie Bennet diaries did a great job of answering this question.

Agreed. They did a great job on modern Lydia, too.

message 10: by Nak Attack (new) - added it

Nak Attack lol i freaking loved lydia in the lizzie bennett diaries. in the book, the movie and bbc series i hated her so much. I still have to watch lydia's diaries, and then her best friends diaries to see their pov during the whole story. that's like over 100 eps on youtube i gotta catch up on. lol.

So yeah I agree with Kate completely. The Lizzie Bennett diaries did a fantastic job. :D