What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy/Medieval-young man tempers sword in enemy's blood. Next scene kissing/sex scene?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments I have not actually read this book, but I started it and got a little more than a chapter into it. I read it sometime between 2006 and 2011 and I got it from a library sale so I'm not sure about its publishing date. I believe it was a paperback.

The book begins with a male character who is making a sword. Just as he is finishing his sword, enemies attack. I believe they kill most of his family, perhaps also raping some of the women. He tempers his sword, not in water or oil, but in the blood of the enemy he stabs.

I believe the next chapter is about a girl. Whoever it is about, there is a sex scene, or perhaps just some intense kissing. Either way, at the time I was averse to such things and I put the book down.

Now I am regretting it! Any help is appreciated!

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments I think it was probably a fantasy setting, but it may have been historical fiction.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments *bump*

message 4: by Andashark (new)

Andashark | 10 comments is it a sword or a dagger? I can't remember the name of the book but the young lad has just learnt how to make the dagger he tempers the dagger is water, then earth. There is an attack and he stabs someone with the dagger and it is tempered in blood and the blade becomes black(becomes a cursed dagger?). I think somebody hears about the dagger and it becomes sort after? I have seen your post and have been trying to remember the name of the book but no luck yet.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Thank you Andashark! It is encouraging to know that someone is trying!
And it is very possible that it was a dagger, not a sword.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Hm. Beowulf's sword was tempered in blood but I'm pretty sure there's no kissing in that story. Maybe a retelling of Beowulf?

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments It could be a retelling of Beowulf, but I just don't get that feeling. I don't recall the back saying anything about monsters or Grendell.

But thank you So Much for making an attempt.

message 8: by M. Lee (new)

M. Lee (leevee) | 78 comments Hm. For some reason I want to say that this reminds me of Hilari Bell's Farsala trilogy (book one: Fall of a Kingdom), although it's been a while since I read it.

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments M. Lee, I read the first few pages, and it's not that, but thanks for trying.

I'm starting to think it was a romance novel. It had that sort of hastily-produced melodramatic feel to it.

message 10: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Bump

message 11: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (queenboadicea) | 74 comments I'm thinking of the Crimson Spell series by Ayano Yamane. But since yours involves kissing with a girl, I doubt that's it. (However, the prince is very skilled at crossdressing; when he was younger his father had him disguised as a girl since young male royals were frequent targets for assassins. This leads to some adorable kink, as you can imagine.)

message 12: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Nope. But thanks for trying.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Interestingly, I googled romance sword tempered blood and came up with Antar: A Bedoueen Romance (the google hit is here).

message 14: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Michele, thanks so much for trying so hard for me!
However, I think the book I read was more recent and less rare. The book I read was a paperback with a colored picture on the front. I think it may have had a sword on the front.

message 15: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 10 comments Not sure it helps but a couple of the books in Michael Moorcocks Eternal Champion sequence feature a character that has a sword that once drawn must draw blood (by killing I am pretty sure). I have only read the second book so I am not sure how the blade was made. Don't recall the name though and I no longer have the book after a move from Ontario to BC.

message 16: by Michele (last edited Nov 09, 2014 04:10PM) (new)

Michele | 2357 comments The sword is called Stormbringer, and it's a demon in sword form. It has a "brother" sword called Mournblade. I can't find anything about how it was created, though. Here's one of the covers:

Stormbringer (Elric, #6) by Michael Moorcock

Could it be one of the three swords in Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series? Starts with The Dragonbone Chair.

message 17: by David (new)

David Rose | 48 comments Michele wrote: "Could it be one of the three swords in Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series? Starts with The Dragonbone Chair. ..."

Definitely not the latter. I know that series too well!

message 18: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 10 comments The books I was referring to aren't the Elric novels. These concerned another aspect of The Eternal Champion.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments John wrote: "The books I was referring to aren't the Elric novels. These concerned another aspect of The Eternal Champion."

Right, but it's the same sword, isn't it?

message 20: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 10 comments I donèt think so. The Jerry Cornelius books are also part of the Eternal Champion but he never used a sword.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments John wrote: "I donèt think so. The Jerry Cornelius books are also part of the Eternal Champion but he never used a sword."

Ah, right. ::smacks forehead::

message 22: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments No, I looked into it, but I don't think that's right. Thanks for trying, guys. :)

message 23: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Bump

message 24: by Lostshadows (new)

Lostshadows | 19 comments I don't think it quite matches but maybe The First Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen?

message 25: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Thanks Lostshadows, but not it. The way the book begins with fire references is right, but I know it's someone forging a sword.

message 26: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Okay, I have remembered that the book definitely has a sword on the front. I think it's stuck into the ground. I don't believe there is anything else, just the sword.

message 27: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Bump

message 28: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Abby, are you still looking for this or did you find it?